2002 Honda CR-V - Hard Pulling To Right

Specific repair issues for Honda & Acura vehicles
DansAuto
25 Club: Starting Contributor

2002 Honda CR-V - Hard Pulling To Right

Post by DansAuto »

2002 Honda CR-V......popping in strut so we replaced the strut towers and struts.....now vehicle is pulling hard to the right. If you turn it hard to the left it will be fine for a min on hwy then it starts pulling slight to left.....if you make a hard right then drive it will take a HARD right to ditch......it seems like the memory steer has an issue. Does anyone have any suggestions. This has been a nightmare for 2 days.....we have went to the point of returning old parts to the vehicle and it is still doing the same thing. Had a few people say rack and pinion...we even thought that. It just was not doing this before so like i said we replace old parts back to vehicle and problem is there after ordering a second set of strut towers and struts and doing the job for the second time before putting old parts back on.

Thanks,
Dawn
ricmorin
5K Holy Smokes Contributor

Re: 2002 HONDA CR-V HARD PULLING TO RIGHT

Post by ricmorin »

So did you do an alignment afterwards? Readings?

Any binding when wheels were off the rack?

Since it was not there when you started, I'd be inclined to think that you induced this somehow. Rotate tie rods and ball joints when seperated. Sometimes these bind and can't spin. Also, run engine with wheels off ground to see if PS system is pushing one way or another.

Sounds like binding to me.
Ric Morin - Volunteer Forum Moderator, Shop Owner, ASE Master L1
Motorcar Alternatives, LLC
603-622-6434 x203
www.motorcaralternatives.com

I find my life is a lot easier when I use Special Orders
DansAuto

Re: 2002 Honda CR-V - Hard Pulling To Right

Post by DansAuto »

MSN Messanger :)......Alignment good......I see your point but its crazy to go back to oringinal parts and still have the same problem.
DansAuto

Post by DansAuto »

okay going backwards.....working late so will let ya know the out some in the morning.....thanks Ric :)
brianp87
3K Time Lord Contributor
3K Time Lord Contributor

Post by brianp87 »

I ususally lift and disconnect piece by piece tell I find it. GL
steven kiser

Post by steven kiser »

does the steering wheel fight you when you're turning from side to side? it sounds like the mount may be misaligned. struts are one of the components that are usually in and out with no issues. however. i've seen mounts misaligned or the mount not lined up with the lower strut anchor and cause issues. i only use oem or mounts distributed through world pac. i've seen after market mounts that i wouldn't use for skeet practice. is there a left and right spring? i've seen that. i'm not able to prove or disprove that but it's worth looking into. i've also seen vehicles that have issues and found the spring installed upside down in the strut. a quick check would be while the wheels are off the ground see if while turning he steering wheel side to side if it's smooth and when released stays put and doesn't spin back.
never argue with a fool, they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
wbuxton
1000 Club: Interstellar

Post by wbuxton »

No noise, like a spacer/bearing is binding? I'd swap the front tires side-to-side and see if that makes a difference. Hard to believe you would develop conicity in a tire but it might have been there before. It's the easiest thing to do on a vehicle that pulls.
Uncle PETA said I could come back.
William
Weatherford, TX
817-599-7680
866-744-3887
http://www.phoenixtrans.com
crmeyers
300 Club: Superstar Contributor
300 Club: Superstar Contributor

Post by crmeyers »

Don't count out coincidence! Place the vehicle on a drive-on rack, and send someone up in the vehicle while another tech stays on the ground to observe. Have the person in the vehicle turn the wheel quickly to the right and left while observing the rack and pinion. Make sure the rack isn't moving in it's mounting bushings. I've seen worn or oil soaked rack bushings do this on many imports. Might have nothing to do with your recent repairs. Just a thought. 8)
Last edited by crmeyers on Fri Jun 18, 2010 5:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Chris Meyers
Service Center Manager
Ocean Air Auto Repair
www.oceanairauto.com
DansAuto

Post by DansAuto »

okay guys.....I am relaying info so I am gonna do the best I can..thanks for all the help.......

We went back to original parts which I have stated.....new rack is installed.....still pulls hard right after you make a hard right turn like a U turn.....just like before......this all started with a popping noise in the struts so we replaced towers and struts.....the hard pull started and pop went away.....so we ordered some more put them on.....same thing....so went back to original now popping is back and still snatching to the right.......so here is what tech just said to answer some of yalls question......

Yes noise is the popping....it does have tension when turning just alittle and it does free spin back alittle....not bad though....we are sure right and left r put in there place and he feels a little popping in the wheel barely.
wbuxton

Post by wbuxton »

Any sign of accident damage? Fords had a horseshoe teflon washer/spacer that limited rack movement between the inner tie rod end and rack. Possible over travel?
Uncle PETA said I could come back.
William
Weatherford, TX
817-599-7680
866-744-3887
http://www.phoenixtrans.com
DansAuto

Post by DansAuto »

no damage due to wreck no....everything looks good......at a brick wall here.....and every time this happens its something simple....i feel it....grrrrrr
ricmorin

Post by ricmorin »

Something is binding here, no doubt. You're going to have to go through each possibility and eliminate until you find it. I often set the car on the turnplates and disconnect the tie rods, then move each wheel to see if either binds. If you check this while hanging, you may get false results. Go through it slowly and carefully. You will find it.
Ric Morin - Volunteer Forum Moderator, Shop Owner, ASE Master L1
Motorcar Alternatives, LLC
603-622-6434 x203
www.motorcaralternatives.com

I find my life is a lot easier when I use Special Orders
DansAuto

Post by DansAuto »

ricmorin wrote:Something is binding here, no doubt. You're going to have to go through each possibility and eliminate until you find it. I often set the car on the turnplates and disconnect the tie rods, then move each wheel to see if either binds. If you check this while hanging, you may get false results. Go through it slowly and carefully. You will find it.

You know what Ric if I could get these guys to listen to me we prob would get it.....I know I'm a girl thats not gonna happen......I told them its there..it wasnt like that so look hard.....nothing is obvious......once it starts pulling you can quickly shake the wheel right then quick to left and it stops and does fine.....grrrrr. Ive had a bad 2 days. Let Us Pray!
steven kiser

Post by steven kiser »

i believe these struts have a slot on the top of the shaft that sits in the upper spring seat. i've seen many times where issues like this have been caused by the most simple issues being over looked. if it were in my shop, by now, with all that's been done, i would have ordered all new parts with the exception of the spring and redone the job. i've also seen techs forget or decide a washer wasn't needed and not install it or another big one is that not all mounts come with bearings. they have to be purchased separately. tell the tech's not to miss the obvious because it's the obvious.............not to jump on a soap box :shock: but this may be the result of replacement by price not quality. wouldn't surprise me if the mount you used was 12 bucks cheaper because the bearing wasn't in it.....
never argue with a fool, they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
steven kiser

Post by steven kiser »

another thing here. seen it many, many, times. please look at this as a new job every time it's taken apart. struts aren't made to be dismantled over and over again. it's extremely frustrating but don't let this cloud any decision making. if the struts have been disassembled more that three times the lock nut is probably junk and i'm sure the threads are stretched by now, not from just taking the nut off but i'm sure they've been over tightened as well. if this is the strut that has a slot in the seat and it's been battered because of alignment issues replace it. it will fail again and cause a huge issue........
DansAuto

Post by DansAuto »

steven kiser wrote:another thing here. seen it many, many, times. please look at this as a new job every time it's taken apart. struts aren't made to be dismantled over and over again. it's extremely frustrating but don't let this cloud any decision making. if the struts have been disassembled more that three times the lock nut is probably junk and i'm sure the threads are stretched by now, not from just taking the nut off but i'm sure they've been over tightened as well. if this is the strut that has a slot in the seat and it's been battered because of alignment issues replace it. it will fail again and cause a huge issue........

Steven thanks......we older all new from dealer yesterday and we are going that route.....yes it has been a nightmare and the slot your talking about we have been over that to with the print out from ondemand....I have done my homework on that end first thing when the problem started.....it even says some have to be clocked....so we covered that ground.......nothing has changed.....and the bearings were there....we just starting over from the dealer.....will let you all know how it comes out. Should have everything Monday.

Thanks, Dawn
steven kiser

Post by steven kiser »

i'm lighting a prayer candle for ya...................
liljoe
1500 Club Master Plus Contributor
1500 Club Master Plus Contributor

Post by liljoe »

steven kiser wrote:i'm lighting a prayer candle for ya...................
Not the red one again, I hope.....
Working hard to prove the Green Team can do it with the best of 'em.
Always remember: AIN'T NO FREE LUNCHES!!
Am I the Only One?- I don't think I am.
The further a society retreats from the truth, the more it hates those who speak it. George Orwell.
Stewart Levy
100 Club: Active Contributor
100 Club: Active Contributor

Post by Stewart Levy »

Sorry to take to long to get back.

Have dealt with this prior. Some how the tech missed placed the washers at the strut mount and thats what caused the problem.!! Good hunting by the spring compressor.!
If they don't know how can they fix it!
steven kiser

Post by steven kiser »

Stewart Levy wrote:Sorry to take to long to get back.

Have dealt with this prior. Some how the tech missed placed the washers at the strut mount and thats what caused the problem.!! Good hunting by the spring compressor.!
i know exactly what you mean. we're all susceptible to a brain fart on occasion. i'll decide to stay on the shop floor during busy customer hours and am apt to make a rookie mistake on occasion. my two tech's will tell me to get out of the sand box. after or before hours i am the go to guy in the shop. they've called me at night to discuss a technical issue in the shop and we usually resolve it. during the work day, with all my interruptions frustrations will, can, do, run high. we've learned to pay close attention to our timing of questions. :lol: :lol: i've been posting in the wrench section before and my lead tech will walk buy and say maybe he should get an account, post shop issues and wait for a reasonable response from me.

Return to “Honda / Acura”