2004 Acura MDX - 84-1 Sensor Logic FIXED

Specific repair issues for Honda & Acura vehicles
jbadenoch
400 Club: Mega-Star Contributor

2004 Acura MDX - 84-1 Sensor Logic FIXED

Post by jbadenoch »

Anyone familiar with this one? It is VSA failure we ran into after working with the front wheel speed sensor. Sensor reads speed correctly. Steering angle sensor reads -30 when going straight.
Last edited by jbadenoch on Mon Sep 19, 2011 4:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
steven kiser
5K Holy Smokes Contributor

Re: 2004 Acura MDX - 84-1 Sensor Logic

Post by steven kiser »

although i've never had an issue akin to this one i quickly ran it through one of my diagnostic programs and i saw a note about having to program the neutral position of the vsa sensor. you may have to replace the multi function switch since the sensor is incorporated in it. i have run into issues where i had to relearn modules after having the key on, vehicle in neutral with the front tires rotating as they all do and stopping one and turning the wheels side to side. the system can't read it and basically has a break down.
never argue with a fool, they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
jbadenoch

Post by jbadenoch »

Dang, I saw a note on the internet about the recalibrating the VSA. I was hoping it might be something else. As far as I can tell that takes a honda scanner. Is that so? Oh.... and what the heck do I say to the customer?
ricmorin

Post by ricmorin »

Your steering angle sensor is out of calibration. I can't tell you which aftermarket tools can perform the relearn. The HDS tool certainly can. I would expect something like the Modis to be able to do that.

What you tell the customer is up to you. If it were me, if I caused the issue then I will fix it. Even if it meant taking it to the dealer myself.
Ric Morin - Volunteer Forum Moderator, Shop Owner, ASE Master L1
Motorcar Alternatives, LLC
603-622-6434 x203
www.motorcaralternatives.com

I find my life is a lot easier when I use Special Orders
jbadenoch

Post by jbadenoch »

Yeah Ric, already talked to him and have him returning Friday. Told him I didn't think it was something we did wrong but it sometimes happens and we would be taking care of it even if it meant going to the dealer. Didn't see anything in my modis yesterday but after your post and talking to the customer I did some digging in the troubleshooter and found a procedure. Thanks for making me take a second look. Will update the post after we get it back in. By the way... am I just not finding anything in Mitchell about this because I am looking in the wrong places or is it really not there? If not I wonder why. :? I did try to limit my responsibility to the recalibration.
ricmorin

Post by ricmorin »

It's there. It's under ABS since it's part of that. Go to Brakes, Anti Lock and look for VSA Neutral Position Memorization.
Ric Morin - Volunteer Forum Moderator, Shop Owner, ASE Master L1
Motorcar Alternatives, LLC
603-622-6434 x203
www.motorcaralternatives.com

I find my life is a lot easier when I use Special Orders
jbadenoch

Post by jbadenoch »

dang.... this happened late in the day and I guess I was just too tired to think creatively. I found the VSA section then but still kept looking for the 84-1. The -1 kept the search engine from finding anything. I know myself better then that... should have just told him to give me a day to research it. Anyway at this point I suppose I will look like a hero rather than a zero because I took the initiative to follow up and call him back rather than waiting for him to get very unhappy.
jbadenoch

Post by jbadenoch »

OK, an update on this one. Got the truck back in and reset the steering angle sensor. First try reset the sensor to zero but it didn't seem to reset all the way. (lights didn't flash quite the way it was described) Tech tried it 3 more times and gave up. VSA off light was still on. Second tech looked at it and tried reset procedure 4 more times. Last try went as described and fixed the problem.
fortknoxx
1500 Club Master Plus Contributor

Post by fortknoxx »

jbadenoch wrote:OK, an update on this one. Got the truck back in and reset the steering angle sensor. First try reset the sensor to zero but it didn't seem to reset all the way. (lights didn't flash quite the way it was described) Tech tried it 3 more times and gave up. VSA off light was still on. Second tech looked at it and tried reset procedure 4 more times. Last try went as described and fixed the problem.
if at first you dont succeed, try 6 more times! :wink:
T-N-T (Tina Nuse-Tolar)
Gone but not forgotten...Camper Bob's

609-760-7079 Cell
steven kiser

Re: 2004 Acura MDX - 84-1 Sensor Logic FIXED

Post by steven kiser »

glad you got it fixed. sometimes the relearn or reset can be trying. on some g.m.'s i've almost stomped the gas pedal through the floor to get the oil change light to reset.
never argue with a fool, they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
liljoe

Post by liljoe »

steven kiser wrote:glad you got it fixed. sometimes the relearn or reset can be trying. on some g.m.'s i've almost stomped the gas pedal through the floor to get the oil change light to reset.
I bet you mash the remote buttons harder when the batteries get low, don't ya? :mrgreen:
Working hard to prove the Green Team can do it with the best of 'em.
Always remember: AIN'T NO FREE LUNCHES!!
Am I the Only One?- I don't think I am.
The further a society retreats from the truth, the more it hates those who speak it. George Orwell.
steven kiser

Post by steven kiser »

you bet i do................i also twist and turn it...
fortknoxx

Post by fortknoxx »

liljoe wrote:
steven kiser wrote:glad you got it fixed. sometimes the relearn or reset can be trying. on some g.m.'s i've almost stomped the gas pedal through the floor to get the oil change light to reset.
I bet you mash the remote buttons harder when the batteries get low, don't ya? :mrgreen:
no h holds it up to his chin, and presses the buttons.
T-N-T (Tina Nuse-Tolar)
Gone but not forgotten...Camper Bob's

609-760-7079 Cell

Return to “Honda / Acura”