1996 Honda Accord - A/C Drain Issue

Specific repair issues for Honda & Acura vehicles
Tim Martin
2.5K Uber Ninja Contributor

1996 Honda Accord - A/C Drain Issue

Post by Tim Martin »

Customer has a 96 Accord LX, 2.2L engine with an auto trans. The issue is that every so often (more than once a year) the drain on the evaporator case gets restricted enough that the water builds up and drains into the passenger floor. I take the evaporator apart, clean out the dirt, put it back together. Is there a remedy for this? What can I do do avoid this again? The car is coming back in later in the week for to do it again.
brianp87
3K Time Lord Contributor
3K Time Lord Contributor

Re: 1996 Honda Accord - A/C Drain Issue

Post by brianp87 »

I had an accord that was in an accident and was leaking water in heavy rains. Otherwise I have not seen any repeat issues with evap drains.
Pauls Automotive
1000 Club: Interstellar
1000 Club: Interstellar

Post by Pauls Automotive »

I guess it would depend on what is clogging it up. I have customers that park under trees that get those helicopter type leafs in there. I generally clean out the cowl real well and box and advise them not to park under trees. If its others things you might be able to widen the opening so it is not so easy to clog. Other then that all I can think of is a makeshift cabin air filter set up but I doubt there is room
Paul
Pauls Automotive
6318 Falls Road
Baltimore, Md 21209
410-825-2224
paul@paulsauto.com
TRUE HAPPINESS IS WITHIN YOU
Tim Martin

Post by Tim Martin »

Forgot to say that this car gets parked in garage when not in use. Yes I too have seen these little maple tree jiggers plug up a system but not a possibility on this one.
jbadenoch
400 Club: Mega-Star Contributor
400 Club: Mega-Star Contributor

Post by jbadenoch »

what is in the drain that your cleaning out? Actual dirt, heli-things, leaves, pine needles, mud dobber stuff?
Tim Martin

Post by Tim Martin »

jbadenoch wrote:what is in the drain that your cleaning out? Actual dirt, heli-things, leaves, pine needles, mud dobber stuff?
Nothing but fine dust.
steven kiser
5K Holy Smokes Contributor
5K Holy Smokes Contributor

Post by steven kiser »

Not on this particular vehicle but on others i've yanked out the drain hose and installed another. I use whatever vac, fuel, or other line will fit. I use a wire loom cleat to anchor them to the firewall. Sometimes the drain hose rubber is so thin it collapses or it takes nothing to plug it. Usually a 7/16ths fuel line fits real nice and like i said i use a loom clamp to secure it against the firewall. On repeat repairs i've found the box has a lot of crapolla in it and when i clear it the crapolla is like the blob. It returns to plug it up in no time.
never argue with a fool, they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience

Return to “Honda / Acura”