2002 Honda CRV - No Shut Off

Specific repair issues for Honda & Acura vehicles
Tim Martin
2.5K Uber Ninja Contributor

2002 Honda CRV - No Shut Off

Post by Tim Martin »

Customer stopped in with his 2002 Honda CRV that with the key out of the ignition switch and the battery cables unhooked the engine does not shut off. Yes, the vehicle can be driven that way - no key in the ignition switch and the battery cables unhooked. I kid you not. The only way to shut the engine off is to remove the 50 amp ignition fuse from the underhood fuse box. Strange. Very strange. Where do I start? What am I looking for?
ricmorin
5K Holy Smokes Contributor

Re: 02 Honda CRV No Shut Off

Post by ricmorin »

Is it equipped with a remote starter? That would be my first question.
Ric Morin - Volunteer Forum Moderator, Shop Owner, ASE Master L1
Motorcar Alternatives, LLC
603-622-6434 x203
www.motorcaralternatives.com

I find my life is a lot easier when I use Special Orders
Tim Martin

Re: 02 Honda CRV No Shut Off

Post by Tim Martin »

ricmorin wrote:Is it equipped with a remote starter? That would be my first question.
Hadn't thought of including that info in the original post but no, it does not have a remote starter.
Pauls Automotive
1000 Club: Interstellar
1000 Club: Interstellar

Re: 2002 Honda CRV - No Shut Off

Post by Pauls Automotive »

I would start at the ignition switch. I've had that issue before but it was years ago. I can't remember the problem. It just seems to me something has got to be powering up all the systems. Maybe look into the fuse box itself.
Paul
Pauls Automotive
6318 Falls Road
Baltimore, Md 21209
410-825-2224
paul@paulsauto.com
TRUE HAPPINESS IS WITHIN YOU
Bimish

Post by Bimish »

I would start by disconnecting the ignition switch and see if this turn the engine off. I see allot of problem with early 2000 honda's, most of the time is lack of key on power when you turn the key back from the crank position. Good luck
steven kiser

Post by steven kiser »

along with unplugging switch, it is probably the issue, but look at the plug on the switch and see if it's melted, and a stuck run relay will cause this. May have an issue inside the fuse box as well. Let us know if the switch doesn't solve it.
never argue with a fool, they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
Tim Martin

Post by Tim Martin »

For myself, I am still puzzled as to how this vehicle can run and drive with the key our of the ignition switch and both battery cables unhooked from the battery. Is the alternator capable of generating the current on its own without a battery? I am inclined to agree, that after looking at wiring diagrams that the ignition switch could be the culprit. I also saw where Honda issues a recall/tsb on these vehicles for possible metal contamination in the ignition switch that would cause the shifter interlock to malfunction.

Just trying to understand the situation.
Tim Martin

Post by Tim Martin »

Ok. I put my scan tool on this thing an went for a drive this morning. I hadnt gotten out of the shop and the "Check Engine" light came on. Codes P1166 and P1167 showed up. These codes relate to the heater circuit of the front air/fuel sensor. Might there be any connection between these codes and the not shutting off problem. Now, when I got back to the shop, the engine shut off with no issues. I'm puzzled.
steven kiser

Post by steven kiser »

just for kicks with the vehicle running and blower motor on high wiggle key a bit and see if the blower shuts down. This is something I do to test for a bad switch. If the switch screws onto the back of the cylinder make sure it's secure.
never argue with a fool, they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
jbadenoch
400 Club: Mega-Star Contributor
400 Club: Mega-Star Contributor

Post by jbadenoch »

ive seen this before where the contacts in the ign switch break and stick together. Ign switch fixed it. After repair, you may want to check the charging system to make sure it has not fried the alt from disconnecting the circuit, seen that before too. Good luck

Return to “Honda / Acura”