2010 Nissa Versa - No Start aarrrrrgghhh

Specific repair issues for Nissan + Infiniti vehicles
jbadenoch
400 Club: Mega-Star Contributor

2010 Nissa Versa - No Start aarrrrrgghhh

Post by jbadenoch »

the 2nd post has more correct details......... I have a 2010 versa s 1.8L DOHC.

Customer was driving and went to accelerate when it just shut off. No pcm codes. Did initial checks and found that it had good spark and noid pulse. Checked ohms on sensor and passed and while unplugged checked for codes and did find crank code. cleared and plugged back in and now got crank code. Scoped crank sensor and had no wave form, Checked reluctor and looks good. Changed crank sensor and now no codes but no rpm. this was all friday and today it does have rpm signal but still no noid or spark. Noticed no fuel pressure so tested and found pump to be getting pwr and grnd. sent outside pwr source for power and ground, just to make sur, and no fuel. Changed fuel pump and now have good fuel pressure but still no noid or spark, still have rpm reading. im thinking it has issues with the ipdm but cant find a good test for it.

Any help would be helpful, thanks
Last edited by jbadenoch on Mon May 26, 2014 8:12 am, edited 2 times in total.
steven kiser
5K Holy Smokes Contributor

Re: 2010 Nissa Versa - No Start aarrrrrgghhh

Post by steven kiser »

Kind of wondering why after spark and noid you didn't go right to fuel but anyway, some of these after a series of crank no start will need to be re flashed. This is what I read in another forum. It's like you have so many shots with a password then everything needs to be reset. I'll look into it further and post.

OK I just looked around a bit and I don't think engine size is important but it may have helped. Cranking no start doesn't fit into an immobilizer issue but it fits an issue with the ecm going blank. Apparently the fuse may blow, there seem to be an issue with that, it hasn't been isolated from what I've read but it's worth looking at. Another issue and I feel this may be what you're up against is under some circumstances the engine control module will just loose it's programming and it may or may not be able to be programmed. This issue is popping up during up dates but I read one where during a repair (apparently the tech was unplugging and plugging while key was on. Didn't mention if it was with battery charger on vehicle or not) it happened. The only issue is see here is if this in fact is the case if the customer has vehicle towed to dealer they may try to blame you, charge customer, and then try to warranty it.

Now if this were in my shop I would double check fob and all the connectors if I were satisfied all was good I would remove pcm and send it out to be rebuilt. I would stay as far away from the dealer as possible. I have had pretty good luck with a company in Florida. I put an insurance of a grand on them and ship them out. I ask for any information on what may have caused this because I had one where an outside issue caused it to blow but I don't think that this is the issue here. Good luck. If you have any questions give me a call. I have a few friends that work at dealers or specialize in foreign vehicles. If you do call the shop make sure you tell who answers if it isn't me that I'm expecting the call or they will not put you through. My son is very good at not letting me get bothered and since he's in the beginning stages of taking over wants to deal with as much as possible.
never argue with a fool, they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
jbadenoch

Post by jbadenoch »

Mornin steve. First of all, sorry about the post with not enough details and pieces of the story left out, it typed it at the end of day and i guess i was rushing.Second of all, its a 1.8dohc, sorry. Fuel pressure was the first thing checked and it had great pressure, then checked for noid and spark, both were present. Tech checked for cam signal thru our verus but no data. Next he unplugged cam sensor to se if it would throw a code and it did. Plugged cam sensor back in, cleared code, back to data steam and saw no rpm input. Checked crank sensor terminals, did ohm test and checked for power at cr sensor all was good. Scoped crank sensor and had no wave form. Looked closely at reluctor wheel and looked good. After re-assy it pops a crank code now. Re checked terminals and wiring and reluctor wheel again and all good. Replaced crank senor and code is gone. Went back to step one. Checked spark, noid and fuel pressure. Now have no sp, no noid and NO fuel pressure. Tested pwr and groung circuits to fuel pump and all was good. Sent direct power and ground to pump and got nothing. Replaced fuel pump and now have fuel pressure back but still missing noid and spark. It does give one noid flash when cranking but no spark at all. In between all this mess when checking spark, there was one time when spark came back but on the next crank cycle it was gone. We disconnected the battery and connected the cables together over the weekend to no avail because this morning it still has no noid (just the one pulse) or spark and still has good fuel pressure. And yes Steve, I checked the fuse, all of them, in that ipcm and all were good.
I hate sending vehicles to the dealer and would much rather sent the ecm out for repair as well. My problem is that i like to be sure of what a problem is. Id hate to send out the ecm and still no run. Is there a good way to definitively identify the ecm as the problem. Im starting to feel like a parts changer on this one. I'll take any and all input on this one, even if a "blow it up" response comes in. Thanks gentleman and have a great memorial day, Thanks to all that have served.
jbadenoch

Post by jbadenoch »

Exhausted from this one. We brought it to the dealer, hopefully for a re-flash, Ill keep yall in the loop.
jbadenoch

Post by jbadenoch »

newest info. dealer says ecm is bad and if it doesnt fix it then may need a harness. i call bull. Dont any dealers diag anymore
steven kiser

Post by steven kiser »

Best parts replacers ever. If I had all the stuff to throw at a vehicle like they do I wouldn't have to pay big money for a tech. Dealers use module replacement philosophy. From what was posted earlier a broken wire is possible but a quick pin point check will resolve that. I don't know if dealers use break out boxes any more to read live data but I remember when they were a big item. You had pulse and spark before pump was installed and it sounded like a programmed shut down of so many crank and no starts pcm freezes. G.M. used that practice years ago and I remember having to tow a few to the dealer to get re booted.
never argue with a fool, they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
jbadenoch

Post by jbadenoch »

Newest update::: Dealer replace the ecm and guess what... thats right, oops it wasnt it. Now they think the timing chain jumped time???? I would have expected them to tell me it needs a wiring harness, so that was a bit un expected on the chain. Ill let yall know what they say next.. have a great day.
brianp87
3K Time Lord Contributor
3K Time Lord Contributor

Post by brianp87 »

Lol dealers are the worse at throwing parts at things. What gets me is ppl thinking dealers know a lot more then all of us. Lol I laugh my a** off inside.
steven kiser

Post by steven kiser »

please remind them that the compression may be low because the cylinders have been washed with fuel. Do they have a tech on it or one of these tech school monkey's? Personally I've never seen a chain jump cranking. The issue of it snapping on the road is disproved by you having impulse and the injector and spark when it was towed in. In rereading your original post I would look back at sensor that was replaced. You had rpm, spark, and noid light before but not after.
jbadenoch

Re: 2010 Nissa Versa - No Start aarrrrrgghhh FIXED???

Post by jbadenoch »

after replacinc the ecm that didnt fix it (great guess nissan), and 12 hrs total time on it (yeah right), they determined that the problem was the crank sensor that we already replaced ( part came from same dealer),hmmm. Great diag guys. I really dont know what the real problem was, probably will never "really" know. Bottom line is that its running, customer gets the car back, and hopefully it will stay running. Good day gentleman.
Steve, hope your feeling better.
brianp87
3K Time Lord Contributor
3K Time Lord Contributor

Post by brianp87 »

Lol so if it was the sensor you got from them and they misdiagnosed do you have to pay for misdiagnosis?
brother bubba
300 Club: Superstar Contributor
300 Club: Superstar Contributor

Post by brother bubba »

misdiagnosisizing their own defective part? ??? sirry lound eye amelican mechanic.Ffor that we charge. double........

Measure it with a micrometer, mark it with a piece of chalk, cut it with an axe. Sand it to fit.
brianp87
3K Time Lord Contributor
3K Time Lord Contributor

Post by brianp87 »

Lol nice. But lets throw a computer at it...and hope it sticks
jbadenoch

Post by jbadenoch »

i dont know how they stay in business. Still charging for pcm, even though didnt fix. still charged for labor to rmove timing cover to check chain, and then the cr sensor. I dont really even know if that was the issue. How can they charge for not fixing the vehicle. shame on the mess. they are working with us a little bit on the bill. Oh yeah, we brought it back to them because timing cover is leakin oil.

Return to “Nissan / Infiniti”