1979 Datsun 210 - Carburator Issue - FIXED

Specific repair issues for Nissan + Infiniti vehicles
Tim Martin
2.5K Uber Ninja Contributor

1979 Datsun 210 - Carburator Issue - FIXED

Post by Tim Martin »

I got a 79 210 Datsun with a 1.5L engine/auto trans. Got a Hitachi carb on the top and the issue is that out of the venturi on the barrel that has the choke in, there is gas dripping out intermittantly that creates a surging engine rpm both sitting here in the shop as well as going down the road. We got a rebuilt carb from a place in Largo, Florida and in talking with them, they said that the carb may need to be adjusted slightly. I have tried adjusting the idle screw with no success. I had thought that the float level is a bit too high but they say not.

How can I get this dripping gas stopped?
Last edited by Tim Martin on Thu Jan 27, 2011 5:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
a&mauto
500 Club: Champion Contributor
500 Club: Champion Contributor

Re: 1979 Datson 210 - Carburator Issue

Post by a&mauto »

I think that you are right. The float level is too high. If you crank the engine over (coil disconnected) and it is dripping, then the float is probably set too high, or there is junk stuck in between the needle & seat. If it is only dripping while running, then there could be other issues. What are your vacuum readings at idle?
Adam Jadovitz
A & M Automotive
Lake Elsinore, CA
951-245-1562
http://www.aandmautorepair.com
brianp87
3K Time Lord Contributor
3K Time Lord Contributor

Post by brianp87 »

I agree dirt or float and since its a rebuilt i would bet float.
steven kiser
5K Holy Smokes Contributor

Post by steven kiser »

easy enough to do. remember to adjust the carb with a tach.
never argue with a fool, they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
Tim Martin

Post by Tim Martin »

Gas not running in when engine is being cranked, only after it has run for a few seconds.
steven kiser

Post by steven kiser »

O.K. a carb relies on suction to or "draft" to function. the choke plate basically closes the air intake and the suction pulls gas through the ports. the choke plate is adjusted so when it starts it will open enough to let air pass through. the idle is high to keep it from stalling. to start the car properly the choke will need to be closed and the accelerator pumped a few times to add raw gas into the venturi. as soon as it kicks over and the suction starts the gas will be sucked into it. after it warms up the fuel will remain to enter through the jet. this is when the curb idle adjustments are made. low floats will usually cause a stall during acceleration in turns while floats to high will cause loading up at idle and possible stalling. another tip here. if the spark plugs are sooted at all they must be cleaned. as a rule they won't burn clean.
never argue with a fool, they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
Tim Martin

Post by Tim Martin »

Ok. I'll be back with idle specs and vacuum readings. This thing is being a real pest for me.
steven kiser

Post by steven kiser »

did you get a new spacer gasket with the reman?
Tim Martin

Post by Tim Martin »

steven kiser wrote:did you get a new spacer gasket with the reman?
Ya man! I surely did.
Tim Martin

Re: 1979 Datsun 210 - Carburator Issue

Post by Tim Martin »

Ok. I am back with this car again. Is it possible for me to check fuel pump volume going down the road? The problem now is that this vehicle will shut off going up a hill or under load. You can start it rite up and keep going till you go up a hill or under a load. I am getting stumped with this one. I admit to not liking carburator work.
steven kiser

Post by steven kiser »

a stall on a corner or up a hill is a strong indication that the float is crapolla. if it's still under warranty then i strongly suggest you replace it. otherwise your going to have to open it up and repair it. you can probably find the parts you'll need on e/bay. it's been a few years since i've torn into one of these but basically a carb is a carb and when you open it up check the float travel. i've seen them twisted, bent, sinking, etc. lift the float and check the height of it when it tops out. the description you give leads me to believe it's a float issue. on some applications there is an outside adjustment that can be made. not real sure if this is one. i feel your fear. i remember when vehicles went from carb to injector. now that was scary........oh ya, when you have the cover off (if you do) don't flip it over, there may be check valves that will fall out of their ports.
steven kiser

Post by steven kiser »

back again, i'm trying to think that if this applies to this car but there was a gulp valve on the older datsuns (nissans) on the passenger strut tower that would go bad and dump fuel. if there is a funky looking vac module on the strut tower that ties into the carb see if there is signs of fuel in the vent hose that dumps into the carb. if this valve is junk i'm at a loss where you can find it.
fortknoxx
1500 Club Master Plus Contributor
1500 Club Master Plus Contributor

Post by fortknoxx »

is the battery secure? could it be possible if the batt is not secure for it to lean or rock and ground out causung the stall? I seem to remember another post about the batt not being secure.
T-N-T (Tina Nuse-Tolar)
Gone but not forgotten...Camper Bob's

609-760-7079 Cell
Tim Martin

Post by Tim Martin »

Recently, I was able to get this car back in the shop and after doing some more testing, I found the fuel pump was weak. After replacing the pump, it runs great.

Thanks guys for all yer ideas and help.
steven kiser

Post by steven kiser »

thanks for posting the fix.

Return to “Nissan / Infiniti”