1987 Nissan PU - Z24 Eng Not Running

Specific repair issues for Nissan + Infiniti vehicles
Jack Garrett

1987 Nissan PU - Z24 Eng Not Running

Post by Jack Garrett »

Hi this is Timbre4, here at New Caney TX High School today to observe and interview students using Performance Center. Jack Garrett is the instructor and there is a thorn in his side vehicle he could use some help on:

Hello all, thanks in advance for any help you can offer. This 1987 Nissan PU has the Z24 2.4L 8 plug engine that has been recently rebuilt. The issue is it initially ran great after the rebuild, then abruptly cut off. Moving the distributor couid bring back to normal or act as if it jumped time. Suspect the CPS in the distributor. (LED wheel type)

Has anybody seen a way to verify whether this sensor is good? Is there anything between PCM and crank sensor terminal that could be bad? Thinking if not just wiring, maybe there's a component I just can't see?
brianp87
3K Time Lord Contributor
3K Time Lord Contributor

Re: 1987 Nissan PU - Z24 Eng Not Running

Post by brianp87 »

Does the vehicle start? If it doesnt then is spark missing? What about noid at the injectors?
ricmorin
5K Holy Smokes Contributor

Post by ricmorin »

You can test the sensor just like any other. Use an o-scope. You'll need a quick one to get the 360 pulses. Should have a square waveform output. These are pretty bulletproof and don't usually fail in the way you are thinking. I'd first double check mechanical timing if you haven't already. Get all the marks lined up and see if dist is pointing to number one. Make sure the pin for the gear hasn't sheared and the gear spun. Not likely, but you never know. :roll:

If it starts when the dist is rotated, something is out of time. Usually the relation to the crank sensor and the rotor is pretty constant. When you scope the signal, use a dual trace and also check for the cylinder pulses. One cylinder pulse to every 60 crank pulses, if you can picture it.

Should look like this.....
Attachments
credit to Tom Roberts from iATN
credit to Tom Roberts from iATN
crank1.gif (41.44 KiB) Viewed 5266 times
Ric Morin - Volunteer Forum Moderator, Shop Owner, ASE Master L1
Motorcar Alternatives, LLC
603-622-6434 x203
www.motorcaralternatives.com

I find my life is a lot easier when I use Special Orders
steven kiser

Post by steven kiser »

in the way, way, way back machine i believe that moving the distributor is like dragging the cam sensor wire along the block to make it sense an interruption and make it fire. the distributor i believe is compared to the thick film style of yester year. don't overcomplicate it. moving the distributor may just be giving the system the interruption it needs to fire.
never argue with a fool, they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
timbre4
System Guru / Moderator
System Guru / Moderator

Post by timbre4 »

Thanks I knew you guys would jump in! Jack's school has security settings which required him to ask for managerforum.net be allowed as an exception, hopefully by today.

He may have reviewed this from home last night and I'll check that he's back with more info as time permits. Somebody's waiting for this fine jewel so he's motivated! :idea:
Tim McDonnell -
Sr. Product Market Mgr / Forum Moderator / Mitchell 1 Media Developer
brianp87
3K Time Lord Contributor
3K Time Lord Contributor

Post by brianp87 »

Suite hope it works out
fortknoxx
1500 Club Master Plus Contributor
1500 Club Master Plus Contributor

Post by fortknoxx »

Any news yet?
T-N-T (Tina Nuse-Tolar)
Gone but not forgotten...Camper Bob's

609-760-7079 Cell
Jack Garrett

Post by Jack Garrett »

Thanks for all the good info. Sorry for delay, I was mistakenly blocked again by our tech dept. I am back in business now. I tried moving the distributor as suggested and although I had done this before but with very small steps, this time I was more aggressive and it began running. It is still somewhat ragged but I think it may be a wiring connection at the base of the distributor. I fixed that and it is now obviously a timing issue. Thanks to all of you and a little luck I may have it outa here today. Small movements to set time seem to be working. It is sure good to have a source to get help. :D
brianp87
3K Time Lord Contributor
3K Time Lord Contributor

Post by brianp87 »

If you need any help let us know or any questions. Good luck

Return to “Nissan / Infiniti”