2005 Infiniti G35 Coupe - P1078? FIXED

Specific repair issues for Nissan + Infiniti vehicles
FRONTLINE
25 Club: Starting Contributor

2005 Infiniti G35 Coupe - P1078? FIXED

Post by FRONTLINE »

CAN ANY ONE TELL ME INFO ON FAULT P1078.
ricmorin
5K Holy Smokes Contributor

Re: 2005 Infiniti G35 Coupe - P1078?

Post by ricmorin »

Did you call support? I checked in OD5 and Alldata and there was nothing. I think it is reference to Bank 1 exhaust valve timing sensor.
Ric Morin - Volunteer Forum Moderator, Shop Owner, ASE Master L1
Motorcar Alternatives, LLC
603-622-6434 x203
www.motorcaralternatives.com

I find my life is a lot easier when I use Special Orders
timbre4
System Guru / Moderator
System Guru / Moderator

Post by timbre4 »

Best to contact product support;

Call 888-724-6742 and follow the prompts OR use this email form: http://www.buymitchell1.com/form/productsupport.htm

Quick grab from Google:
DTC P1078 P1084 EVT CONTROL POSITION SENSOR PFP:23731
Component Description ABS00FI2
Exhaust valve timing control position sensor detects the concave
groove of the exhaust camshaft rear end.
This sensor signal is used for sensing a position of the exhaust cam-shaft.
This sensor uses a Hall IC.
Based on the position of the exhaust camshaft, ECM controls
exhaust valve timing control magnet retarder to optimize the shut/
open timing of exhaust valve for the driving condition.
Tim McDonnell -
Sr. Product Market Mgr / Forum Moderator / Mitchell 1 Media Developer
ricmorin

Post by ricmorin »

Right. You can probably check the basics yourself with a labscope. I have a sample waveform here for that vehicle for comparison. Holler and I'll send it to you.
603-622-6434 x203

FRONTLINE

Post by FRONTLINE »

I JUST USED THE INFO FOR AN 06 MODEL YEAR. THE STORY IS I REPLACED THE ENGINE. THE CAR WILL NOT STAY RUNNING AND THE ONLY FAULT I EVER GET IS P1078. CAN NOT GET THE CAR TO IDLE OR EVEN TO A 1000 RPM AND THEN IT SLOWLY DIES. IS 1.8 OHMS FROM CONNECTOR OF BANK 1 EXH. CAM POS. SENSOR GROUND TO BATTERY GROUND TOO MUCH? THE ORIGINAL ENGINE RAN FINE WITH NO FAULTS, JUST A ROD KNOCK. SO I HAVE SWITCHED THE ALL THE CAM POS. SENSORS FROM THE ORIGINAL TO THE NEW. NO CHANGES. VEHICLE WILL NOT RUN STEADY ENOUGH TO GET GOOD SCOPE READINGS.
steven kiser

Post by steven kiser »

just a quickie here. in the past, on more than one occasion i've run into the same situation and they've all been with foreign cars. some had used engines installed in my shop other towed in from other shops. all sorts of weird issues and all derived from incorrect harness mating. the plugs on there cars are easily confused. in domestic applications the plugs that mate with the sensors are segregated enough that a plug that will plug into an incorrect sensor's wire isn't long enough to reach it. :shock: in foreign applications the plugs are color coded and can easily be switched.
never argue with a fool, they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
FRONTLINE

Post by FRONTLINE »

YES I HAVE DOUBLE CHECKED ALL THE WIRE COLORS AND CONNECTOR TO MATCH THE WIRE DIAGRAMS ARE THE SAME. UNLESS IM MISSING SOME MINOR DETAIL. I USE THE ORIGINAL HARNESS CAUSE THE SALVAGE YARD CUT THE TRANSMISSION HARNESS PART OFF. AND THE ONLY CONNECTOR THAT WAS DIFFERENT WAS THE OIL PRES. SWITCH I JUST CHANGED THE PRES. SWITCH.

I THINK THERE IS ANOTHER ISSUE BESIDES THAT FAULT BECAUSE MITCHELL SAY YOU CAN CHECK THE SIGNAL WHILE THE CAR IS RUNNING TO VERIFY THE CORRECT TIMING ANGLE OF THE EXH. CAM BUT THE CAR WILL NOT RUN LONG ENOUGH TO CHECK IT. IF IT WAS ELECTRICAL WOULDN'T I HAVE ATLEAST ANOTHER FAULT?

ANY OTHER IDEAS OR ANY SUGGESTION WILL BE GREATLY APPRECIATED.
liljoe
1500 Club Master Plus Contributor

Post by liljoe »

This is way out there, but I thought I would throw it in. I have ran into chrysler products that when doing an engine swap from one year to another, the relucters for the cams and flywheel where different. Doubt this helps you out, but hey you never know, and it don't cost any thing to throw ideas out, so what the heck.
Working hard to prove the Green Team can do it with the best of 'em.
Always remember: AIN'T NO FREE LUNCHES!!
Am I the Only One?- I don't think I am.
The further a society retreats from the truth, the more it hates those who speak it. George Orwell.
FRONTLINE

Post by FRONTLINE »

I HAVE LOOKED AND THE RELUCTOR WHEELS JUST THROUGHT THE CAM SENSOR HOLES AND THEY LOOK THE SAME BUT I HAVE NOT DISASSEMBLED THE ENGINE TO GET A BETTER LOOK.. I DO WANT TO COMPARE WIRE HARNESSES AND PINS BETWEEN AN 05 AND 06 BUT THE 05 WIRE DIAGRAM IN MITCHELL DOES NOT EVEN HAVE THE EXH. CAM POSITION SENSORS IN THE WIRE DIAGRAM FOR ME TO COMPARE. ANY IDEAS ON FINDING THE CORRECT DIAGRAM FOR THE O5. THE PRODUCTION DATE IS 02/05 I HAVE FOUND OUT THAT THERE WAS A VIN SPLIT IN PRODUCTION SOME TIME BETWEEN THE YEARS.
FRONTLINE

Post by FRONTLINE »

SO MANY VIEWS BUT NO IDEAS. WHAT UP? LOL
liljoe

Post by liljoe »

You might try going to Mitchell OD.com and post a question in the tip system tomorrow morning and see if any thing new gets discussed. I have noticed that their are more techs on there that do not go on here that are very willing to help and share info and tricks. Might be worth a try. I be after five and I am gonna see what I get into..... :mrgreen:
Working hard to prove the Green Team can do it with the best of 'em.
Always remember: AIN'T NO FREE LUNCHES!!
Am I the Only One?- I don't think I am.
The further a society retreats from the truth, the more it hates those who speak it. George Orwell.
steven kiser

Post by steven kiser »

i've banged my head like this before and asked myself "self, how do you know the replacement mill was in good running condition"? in other situations i've damaged sensors taking the engine out and the sensors on the replacement engine are damaged as well. how would you handle this if this came into your shop running like this. we all look at things with clouded minds when these things happen. speaking for myself here, i look back to the time i replaced a battery in a truck. two days later it went dead. i checked for draws, alternator issues, etc. went nuts looking for a problem. i was talking to my dad (no mechanical training at all, retired millionaire that would sweep the shop floors in the morning to get away from mom) he asked if the new battery was any good. i never checked. i assumed it was good because it was replaced. i tested it with a carbon pile tester and it was no good. replaced it and it was fixed.
never argue with a fool, they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
FRONTLINE

Post by FRONTLINE »

YES I UNDERSTAND THE DAMAGING COMPONENTS WHEN REMOVING SOMETHING LIKE AND ENGINE BUT I DROPPED THE WHOLE SUBFRAME, TRANS, AND ALL IT WAS TOO EASY TO NOT DAMAGE COMPONENTS. WHAT WOULD BE A WISE WAY TO CHECK AND MAKE SURE THE REPLACEMENT WAS GOOD. BECAUSE YOU KNOW THE SALVAGE YARD HAS NO INFO AND THEY JUST GOING TO SAY ITS GOOD. THERE IS JUST TOO MANY THINGS TO CHECK AND MAKE SURE THIS ENGINE IS GOOD, DUE TO ALL THE VARIABLE CAM ADJUSTMENTS I CAN NOT CHECK BECAUSE IT WILL NOT RUN. THE CAR HAS BEEN PUSHED TO THE SIDE FOR NOW, BUT IM STILL OPEN TO ALL IDEAS.
FRONTLINE

Post by FRONTLINE »

I STARTED A POST IN THE LIVE TIPS ON OD5.COM BUT NOW THEY TELL ME THE FAULT CAN'T EXIST FOR MY CAR HOW IS THAT POSSIBLE. THE PRODUCTION DATE IS 02/05. THE ENGINE HARNESSES WERE EXACTLY THE SAME I JUST HAD TO USE THE ORIGINAL BECAUSE THE SALVAGE YARD CUT THE TRANS, PART OFF. BUT MITCHELL OD.COM SAYS I CAN CHECK THE EXH. CAM POS. ANGLE WITH THE SCAN TOOL AT IDLE AND 2000 RPM.

AM I JUST LOOKING AT THE WRONG STUFF TO TRY TO GET THIS CAR TO RUN? I AM VERY LOST NOW.
ricmorin

Post by ricmorin »

P1078 is available for a 2006 model. My guess is your 2005 is past the vin break for that system to be installed. Check OD5 for a 2006 and run the diag steps.
603-622-6434 x203

FRONTLINE

Post by FRONTLINE »

I DID ALL THAT YESTERDAY.
steven kiser

Post by steven kiser »

if it were me i would consider the engine being n/g. it sounds like that all bases have been covered to just about eliminate everything else. i'm very, very selective of where i purchase used parts. this is a vvt engine and if this isn't working correctly will cause this issue. on a chance how's the oil pressure.
FRONTLINE

Post by FRONTLINE »

HOPEFULLY I CAN GET BACK TO THIS CAR TODAY AND IL LET YOU KNOW ASAP.
ricmorin

Post by ricmorin »

Let's be sure we're all on the same page. We're referring to Exhaust Valve Timing Control Position Sensor, right? Not the regular Cam Position Sensor.
603-622-6434 x203

ricmorin

Post by ricmorin »

Doing some research on this one...

It appears that both 2005 and 2006 had variable valve timing. Only in 2006 they added the sensor for the exhaust cam. So in addition to the regular cam sensor, they added the sensor to measure exhaust cam offset. Cool.

Now who knows where the vin break was when they started including the second sensor?

I also find it interesting that there is a difference between sedan and coupe. So far I see no component diferences, but some wiring colors did change. Perhaps you can check to see if the engine came from the same body style as yours?

I can't say for sure, but from what I know of these systems, the engine should still run if it were a simple matter of no or shorted signal from this sensor. I suspect someting else is going on.

Also discovered that the cams are different for automatic and manual transmissions. Any possibility there? The cams appear to be the same between 2005 and 2006 though.
603-622-6434 x203

Return to “Nissan / Infiniti”