1998 Nissan Sentra GXE

Specific repair issues for Nissan + Infiniti vehicles
nickscarcare
750 Club: World Class Contributor

1998 Nissan Sentra GXE

Post by nickscarcare »

Just to let someone know that the labor listing for this car is off on replacing the left cv shaft. It says left or both 3.6 for replacement? How can replacing the left cv shaft be the same time as replacing both? Right side says 1.9. Just informing so maybe it can get fixed. By the way I am running 5.9.5.211.
Some people try to turn back their odometers. Not me, I want people to know why I look this way. I've traveled a long way, and some of the roads weren't paved.

507-345-6425
http://www.nickscarcare.com
timbre4
System Guru / Moderator
System Guru / Moderator

Re: 1998 Nissan Sentra GXE

Post by timbre4 »

Thanks, I'll pass this one along.

In the future, please use the Product Content form as they do not see the Manager forum. The email form is listed in the ProDemand Repair Information section:

http://www.buymitchell1.com/form/productsupport.htm
Tim McDonnell -
Sr. Product Market Mgr / Forum Moderator / Mitchell 1 Media Developer
steven kiser
5K Holy Smokes Contributor
5K Holy Smokes Contributor

Post by steven kiser »

Just to deal with a bit of confusion here. On this particular vehicle the proper way of removing the left shaft is by removing the right and tapping the left one out by reaching through the diff with a punch and tapping it out. It's held in with a collapse ring and I believe the inner tulip is recessed and can't be externally manipulated out. Or so the dealer claims.

A tip here, on tulips that I can't get a good grip on to pop off I will use a disc cutter to notch it so I can use a long chisel or on some that are real sob's and can't be reached easily I disconnect the battery, clean the tulip, mig weld a piece of 1/2" chain to it and using an axle puller attached to the other end hammer away at it. I've had a few that have shifted on the lift, but none I couldn't get off.
never argue with a fool, they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
nickscarcare

Post by nickscarcare »

I was looking for the proper place to send that to, but didn't see it. Yes, I believe Steve is right, I read through the removal procedure, but I have a nifty tool that can get in there and remove the shaft without doing that. That is why I posted on here, read the procedure after the vehicle was gone, because time just didn't seem right. Especially when it didn't take me that long. Identifix says 1.5 to do left shaft? I got it, thanks for the replies.
Some people try to turn back their odometers. Not me, I want people to know why I look this way. I've traveled a long way, and some of the roads weren't paved.

507-345-6425
http://www.nickscarcare.com

Return to “Nissan / Infiniti”