2011 Toyota Rav 4 - Left Front Window Reset

Specific repair issues for Toyota + Lexus vehicles
Sauvageaus
300 Club: Superstar Contributor

2011 Toyota Rav 4 - Left Front Window Reset

Post by Sauvageaus »

Customer complained the window went up/off track, we got the window up in the right place and closed. Then took off the trim panel and found out a bolt came loose and once we put that in, the window went up and down in track. We initially thought it was going to need a track or possibly regulator. Well now that we got it going up and down correctly here's our issue:

When we hold up to close it for auto close it rolls up all the way then goes back down 1/3 of the way. Read people saying the reset was to hold it down and when all the way down hold the button for couple seconds, then roll it up and when closed all the way hold it there for a few seconds and that's suppose to reset it. Well that is not working, we've tried it few times and tried holding longer and less nothing has worked.

Any clue how to reset that? This is the Driver Front Window as well.
brianp87
3K Time Lord Contributor
3K Time Lord Contributor

Re: 2011 Toyota Rav 4 - Left Front Window Reset

Post by brianp87 »

This is all I see.

1. Perform the power window reset procedure. Operate the window going down then up fully 6 or more times. Roll the window to more than halfway down. Pull up fully on the power window switch for the drivers side. When the window reaches the top of travel, continue to hold the button for 3 seconds. Release the switch and check the window operation.
ricmorin
5K Holy Smokes Contributor

Post by ricmorin »

ProDemand says you need to perform that function at least 5 times for it to work. If that doesn't work, the pulse sensor in the motor is likely faulty.
Ric Morin - Volunteer Forum Moderator, Shop Owner, ASE Master L1
Motorcar Alternatives, LLC
603-622-6434 x203
www.motorcaralternatives.com

I find my life is a lot easier when I use Special Orders
Sauvageaus

Post by Sauvageaus »

ricmorin wrote:ProDemand says you need to perform that function at least 5 times for it to work. If that doesn't work, the pulse sensor in the motor is likely faulty.
So Roll it down hold it for 1 second then roll it up hold it at the top for 1 second and repeat 5 or more times? Problem when we it multiple times it becomes inoperative for a few minutes, not sure if it will let that happen for 5+ times.
ricmorin

Post by ricmorin »

Sauvageaus wrote:
ricmorin wrote:ProDemand says you need to perform that function at least 5 times for it to work. If that doesn't work, the pulse sensor in the motor is likely faulty.
So Roll it down hold it for 1 second then roll it up hold it at the top for 1 second and repeat 5 or more times? Problem when we it multiple times it becomes inoperative for a few minutes, not sure if it will let that happen for 5+ times.
According to ProDemand, you do not need to hold the switch when opening, only when closing. It states to open the window normally, then close and hold in the auto-up position until it's fully closed. Repeat at least 5 times.
603-622-6434 x203

Sauvageaus

Post by Sauvageaus »

ricmorin wrote:
Sauvageaus wrote:
According to ProDemand, you do not need to hold the switch when opening, only when closing. It states to open the window normally, then close and hold in the auto-up position until it's fully closed. Repeat at least 5 times.
It won't allow us to do it that many times, it will stop being able to roll up or down all together if you let it sit a few minutes it will work again, but won't allow that to happen 5 times.
ricmorin

Post by ricmorin »

Sounds like the motor is tired and overheating the thermal limiter. May be time to consider a replacement.
603-622-6434 x203

Sauvageaus

Post by Sauvageaus »

Toyota told me all you need to do is open it and then hold the button down for 2 seconds roll it up and hold it closed for 2 seconds and 2 that twice and should be reset. That didn't work along with trying it 5+ Times.

Could the sensor be bad?
ricmorin

Post by ricmorin »

The pulse sensor is built into the motor according AFAIK. Usually when that fails there's simply no auto function. The condition you describe sounds like a need for reset.
603-622-6434 x203

Sauvageaus

Post by Sauvageaus »

ricmorin wrote:The pulse sensor is built into the motor according AFAIK. Usually when that fails there's simply no auto function. The condition you describe sounds like a need for reset.
We're going to look more into it next week, wonder if it needs a motor like you said to try and reset it. There's a reason why a bolt became loose and caused it to go off track.
ricmorin

Post by ricmorin »

Found some more information.

There are 2 different procedures. One is for the auto up function and one is an initialization after repair. Does the auto up function work?

Initialization is exactly what Toyota told you. Fully open the window and continue pressing open for one second. Then fully close the window and hold closed for one second. You might want to start with disconnecting the battery if it doesn't work the first time around. You can also confirm an initialization error by going into the module and checking for the presence of code B2313. The auto light on the switch should be flashing when it starts initialization and solid when complete.

The 5 or more procedure is for auto-up malfunction.

HTH
603-622-6434 x203

Sauvageaus

Post by Sauvageaus »

ricmorin wrote:Found some more information.

There are 2 different procedures. One is for the auto up function and one is an initialization after repair. Does the auto up function work?

Initialization is exactly what Toyota told you. Fully open the window and continue pressing open for one second. Then fully close the window and hold closed for one second. You might want to start with disconnecting the battery if it doesn't work the first time around. You can also confirm an initialization error by going into the module and checking for the presence of code B2313. The auto light on the switch should be flashing when it starts initialization and solid when complete.

HTH
Auto up works just fine, but when it gets to the top it goes back down 1/3 of the way. It is acting as the Auto-Pinch function. Where it doesn't know where the top is actually at, so when it hits the top it thinks its hitting something else as a jam and goes back down.
Sauvageaus

Post by Sauvageaus »

ricmorin wrote:Found some more information.

HTH
Thanks Ric, we'll try that next week when she brings it back after the weekend.

Also, no codes came up at all.
steven kiser

Post by steven kiser »

Sorry for the late jump in on this. Usually when we have a window drop and it can be bolted back on there is about a 75% chance the assembly will have to be replaced. If it dropped and was brought to shop without it being moved up and down "a few" times it can be saved. On the other hand with the age of the assembly and customer having moved it up, down and all around I would quote a replacement. The bolt having fallen out would make me look at inner door panel for spider web cracks. Those little buggers will make all sorts of snapping and banging noises forcing you to make a revisit to window motor.
never argue with a fool, they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience

Return to “Toyota / Lexus”