1997 Toyota RAV4 - Trans Jumps Out Of 5th

Specific repair issues for Toyota + Lexus vehicles
Tim Martin
2.5K Uber Ninja Contributor

1997 Toyota RAV4 - Trans Jumps Out Of 5th

Post by Tim Martin »

I got this 97 Toyota RAV4, 2.0L engine, AWD, with a manual 5speed transmission and 167,000 on the clock. All the gears work fine except 5th and it wants to slide out within a few seconds after I put it into gear. There is no noise, no grinding, no shavings in the oil. Nothing. If I hold it in gear I can drive for miles without a problem. Customer wants it fixed. Am I looking at shifter fork, sychronizer, or what? He also wants a price. I told him I need to take it apart before I can give a repair estimate. Ideas anybody?
brianp87
3K Time Lord Contributor
3K Time Lord Contributor

Re: 97 Toyota RAV4 Transmission Jumps Out Of 5th

Post by brianp87 »

Never had one apart but sounds like you are on the right path.
steven kiser
5K Holy Smokes Contributor
5K Holy Smokes Contributor

Re: 1997 Toyota RAV4 - Trans Jumps Out Of 5th

Post by steven kiser »

without taking it apart you can't really give an accurate quote. you can give an educated guess, that's it. sounds like a fork issue. some people drive with their hand resting on the shifter. some techs feel it's a no no while others don't see a problem. as a rule these trannies are relatively problem free. a synchro will as a rule stop it from engaging although i've seen a few that are stuck just right causing a problem like yours. when you're road testing does it feel like it fully engages. you know, can you feel it click in or does the shifter at least travel the full amount. if it were me i would suggest popping in a used transmission and while i'm there i'de replace clutch and grind the flywheel and most defiantly replace the hydraulics and only use oem. i purchase a good amount of toyota parts from world pac and have had no issues. a warning here, there seems to be a parts manufacturer that is selling toyota parts that are knock offs. it looks just like a toyota packaging but the word toyota is misspelled.
never argue with a fool, they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
Tim Martin

Post by Tim Martin »

steve, thanks for your expert advice on this vehicle. Will be taking it apart hopefully yet today.

And, yes, I am aware of counterfeit parts places also. It seems to be a growing problem for us.
Tim Martin

Post by Tim Martin »

Forgot to mention that when the shifter lever is placed in 5th gear, it seems normal, and goes all the way in. But even without any acceleration from the engine, it comes out of gear in a matter of seconds. No forcing, just a simple slide out of place.
brianp87
3K Time Lord Contributor
3K Time Lord Contributor

Post by brianp87 »

Any luck?
Tim Martin

Post by Tim Martin »

Yes. I took the vehicle to a local transmission rebuilder and he called about 3 hours ago and said that it was finished. he replaced the 5th gear, and a few related parts. So shortly I will be going to pick it up.

Thanks for asking. I keep forgetting to follow up when a job gets done.
brianp87
3K Time Lord Contributor
3K Time Lord Contributor

Post by brianp87 »

No sweat i just like to know for myself.....
Tim Martin

Post by Tim Martin »

Hey. No problem. I appreciate the way this forum allows us fellows to relate to the work we do. I was going to call it fun but at times it is anything but that.

Return to “Toyota / Lexus”