1992 Lexus LS400 - Headlights/Shifting

Specific repair issues for Toyota + Lexus vehicles
lewisautorepair

1992 Lexus LS400 - Headlights/Shifting

Post by lewisautorepair »

I HAVE A 1992 LEXUS LS 400, WHEN YOU DRIVE WITHOUT HEADLIGHTS ON THE TRANS SHIFTS FINE. WHEN YOU TURN HEADLIGHTS OR PARKING LIGHTS ON AND DRIVE IT WONT SHIFT AND SHIFTS HARD WHEN IT DOES. THE R ON THE GEAR INDICATOR LIGHTS UP ALSO WHEN THE HEADLIGHTS ARE TURNED ON. ANY SUGGESTIONS?

FIXED!!!
Last edited by lewisautorepair on Mon Dec 07, 2009 7:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
a&mauto
500 Club: Champion Contributor
500 Club: Champion Contributor

Re: LEXUS HEADLIGHTS/SHIFTING

Post by a&mauto »

I would be looking for a short between the two circuits in the direction of the tail lights and the reverse lights. Pull both bulbs out of both sides and see if the "R" still lights up.
Adam Jadovitz
A & M Automotive
Lake Elsinore, CA
951-245-1562
http://www.aandmautorepair.com
lewisautorepair

Re: LEXUS HEADLIGHTS/SHIFTING

how could this affect the shifting if it is in the tail light circuit and the light switch? :?: just curious....
liljoe
1500 Club Master Plus Contributor
1500 Club Master Plus Contributor

Re: 1992 Lexus LS400 - Headlights/Shifting

Post by liljoe »

I think I would be looking for a ground problem, sounds like the lights are back feeding through the shift indicator circuit and putting it in limp mode.
Working hard to prove the Green Team can do it with the best of 'em.
Always remember: AIN'T NO FREE LUNCHES!!
Am I the Only One?- I don't think I am.
The further a society retreats from the truth, the more it hates those who speak it. George Orwell.
steven kiser
5K Holy Smokes Contributor

Post by steven kiser »

check the neutral switch. the tranny shifting hard indicates that the pressure is fine and the solenoids are being effected. as in all WEIRD issues i will discuss at length what happened to or was added to the car prior to the present issue. the time line won't be restricted to just prior i'll go back a way.
never argue with a fool, they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
lewisautorepair

I SEARCHED THE TRUNK HARNESS AREA AND FOUND THE WIRING GOING UP THE TRUNK HINGES CUT BY THE HINGE AND GROUNDING OUT ON EACH OTHER. REPAIRED ABOUT 7 OR 8 CUT WIRES AND ALL IS GOOD. YAY!!! :P
steven kiser

Post by steven kiser »

thanks for posting. it appears that the rear parking lights were feeding current through the reverse light wire effecting the transmission voltage.
never argue with a fool, they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience

Return to “Toyota / Lexus”