1996 Toyota Tacoma - Fuel Pressure

Specific repair issues for Toyota + Lexus vehicles
LMORRIS249
25 Club: Starting Contributor

1996 Toyota Tacoma - Fuel Pressure

Post by LMORRIS249 »

This vehicle starts but within 5 seconds it starts running rough, the fuel pressure begins dropping and it will either cut off or just run really rough. It had a new fuel pump installed in march, we have tested the fuel pressure regulator and it's fine, but we replaced the VSV because it tested bad. Open to suggestions.
ricmorin
5K Holy Smokes Contributor

Re: 1996 TOYOTA TACOMA 4X4 FUEL PRESSURE

Post by ricmorin »

Have you checked the filter? Did a new filter get installed with the new pump in March? (hint: always replace filter with pump).

You can also temporarily block the return line to see if the pump can make pressure. Also, check voltage and grounds to the pump.

If all else is ok, you need a pump. What brand did you use?
Ric Morin - Volunteer Forum Moderator, Shop Owner, ASE Master L1
Motorcar Alternatives, LLC
603-622-6434 x203
www.motorcaralternatives.com

I find my life is a lot easier when I use Special Orders
steven kiser

Re: 1996 Toyota Tacoma - Fuel Pressure

Post by steven kiser »

agree with ric. i hope an oem was used and a new skirt was installed on pump intake.
never argue with a fool, they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
ricmorin

Post by ricmorin »

Another method I like to use when looking at a suspect pump is amperage analysis. I'll even go one step further and scope the amperage waveform. You can tell so much more with amperage than you can ever with volts. Start by looking at some known good pumps. The amperage waveform will look like an alternator voltage ripple, except we're talking amps. Bad pumps can have one 'hump' higher than the others.
Ric Morin - Volunteer Forum Moderator, Shop Owner, ASE Master L1
Motorcar Alternatives, LLC
603-622-6434 x203
www.motorcaralternatives.com

I find my life is a lot easier when I use Special Orders
steven kiser

Post by steven kiser »

something that i do and i know that there are pro's and con's on this. i'll either place my hand on the relay and see if it's abnormally warm or pull the relay, run a test light across the battery terminals, with key on jump power to pump wire. if the test light dims significantly you have a large amp pull. the battery should be full charged. i use these to give me a direction not a solid diagnosis. the amp meter is the primary test but if some tech had cut and spliced somewhere in the harness with an improper gauge wire it may be a bit difficult.
never argue with a fool, they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience

Return to “Toyota / Lexus”