2007 Toyota Prius - Code After Oil Change FIXED

Specific repair issues for Toyota + Lexus vehicles
nokomisauto
25 Club: Starting Contributor

2007 Toyota Prius - Code After Oil Change FIXED

Post by nokomisauto »

We did oil change for the life of car. Today we change oil and gave car back to owner and got 3 blocks away and lost power and brought car back I check engine oil level, is full. Check codes, found code p3190 and went down diag tree. Checks good; clear codes and start motor. Then engine ran, started to move car and then on power and step on throttle to floor and will not go. Then engine stalled; check fuel presure and pressure is 48 lbs.

I need help to get this running.
brianp87
3K Time Lord Contributor
3K Time Lord Contributor

Re: 2007 Toyota Prius code

Post by brianp87 »

Oil is over full or mass air is dirty since it happened after oil change that is were i would start
brianp87
3K Time Lord Contributor
3K Time Lord Contributor

Post by brianp87 »

Let me know what you find.
brianp87
3K Time Lord Contributor
3K Time Lord Contributor

Post by brianp87 »

T.S.B also EG047-04
nokomisauto

Post by nokomisauto »

brianp87 wrote:Let me know what you find.
Yes it was over full just 1\4 Qt oil and drain hyberd battery very low. How do get then back up so Ican get this started?
steven kiser
5K Holy Smokes Contributor

Post by steven kiser »

you can't charge the hybrid battery. it must go to the dealer. you have to brace for the hit because the dealer will probably tell the customer that since you changed the oil any warranty is void etc, etc. putting to much oil is an easy thing to do and the fix is simple. bring it down to the correct level and make sure the viscosity is correct. clean out the intake area and run the car. drive it around so the gas engine engages. it has to be a forced engagement, high speed driving works. i'm lucky, i'm right off an interstate. the issue here is that the electric side of the powertrain is struggling because of to much oil. correcting the amount will (as a rule) solve the issue. this is a very, very, common situation and like i said above correction the oil level will solve the issue. make sure the viscosity is correct, this is very, very, important. when this happened at my shop i explained it to the customer and made them aware that even the smallest amount of overfill will cause this issue. a very easy error and not one to really get over concerned with. you may have to do some work to get them on your side because we all know that if the customer calls the dealer they're going to try to ram the car up your breezeway. another quick tip here is to look on "yelp" for any negative comments about the local toyota dealer. there usually are a few and it can help you to do damage control.
never argue with a fool, they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
brianp87
3K Time Lord Contributor
3K Time Lord Contributor

Post by brianp87 »

Great info steve. Ive never had it happen(knock on wood) but I have read alot about it ansd was sure it was the issue in your case.
nokomisauto

Re: 2007 Toyota Prius Code After Oil Change

Post by nokomisauto »

Found issue for why this vehicle did not run. Inside the mass air flow sensor - we found a house fly stuck inside the mass air flow sensor wires. This is a one in a million - the fly landed there after checking the air filter with an oil change. Car runs great - batteries are charging up great. Be careful when servicing air filtering systems and if engine is over-full of oil in the bottom of the intake will collect engine oil there and this will also cause it to not run. We had a small amount over-full, we removed it to the proper level and cleaned the excell oil out of the intake manifold. Thanks for your help - Happy New Year!
steven kiser

Post by steven kiser »

thanks for posting. a fly in the ointment huh? got to admit it's a new one to me. right now i'm dealing with mice invasion issues.............i hate these meeeces to pieces. :lol:
never argue with a fool, they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
brianp87
3K Time Lord Contributor
3K Time Lord Contributor

Post by brianp87 »

steven kiser wrote:thanks for posting. a fly in the ointment huh? got to admit it's a new one to me. right now i'm dealing with mice invasion issues.............i hate these meeeces to pieces. :lol:
Rodent damage is big buisness here in the west. Pack rats eat up lots of wiring and die in the dashes or blowers.
steven kiser

Post by steven kiser »

we always have mice invasion in the winter. i have to put traps in the shop because of mice coming in inside the air filter housings etc.once we opened up a car and there had to be 5 mice in the air filter. the thech was a bit shocked when he saw them jumping around. well he cleaned everything out and walked across the street to get a new air filter and some fresh air. now, being me, i have all sorts of stuff kicking around and one was a battery operated rat with a remote control. i took it and put it inside the air intake tube and waited. when he lifted the air filter cover up to install the filter, there it was, and there he went. :lol: :lol: he still gets a bit pissed when i bring it up, especially when i ask him to make that chirping noise again. the ones that get into the blower wheel and are sliced and diced get a bit ripe after a while. when customers call complaining that their dash shakes when they turn on the blower i always plead with them not to turn it on again before they bring it to the shop. i don't mind taking the blowers out and shaking out the mice but on occasion i have a problem when it's mush. :shock:
Jeff @ Able Auto
1500 Club Master Plus Contributor
1500 Club Master Plus Contributor

Post by Jeff @ Able Auto »

Living on the farm we "plugged in" the diesels at night. WELL my sisters cats found the water pump areas to be the warmest spot to sleep at nite. By spring the cat populatino would be greatly diminshed. :shock:
Jeff Fitzgerald - retired
Treasure Coast of Florida
"there will be enough time to sleep when we're dead"
steven kiser

Re: 2007 Toyota Prius - Code After Oil Change FIXED

Post by steven kiser »

the ones with the best hearing made it.......

Return to “Toyota / Lexus”