2003 Toyota Tacoma - Brake Vibration Issue

Specific repair issues for Toyota + Lexus vehicles
bobstire8535

2003 Toyota Tacoma - Brake Vibration Issue

Post by bobstire8535 »

this truck has the strangest vibration while braking. truck has new pads, rotors, calipers on ft and rear brakes check out goo. drums have been machined. this truck shakes like mad at the end of braking almost all speeds over 40 mph.

please offer tips/info if you folks can.

thanks!
Tim Martin
2.5K Uber Ninja Contributor

Re: 2003 Toyota Tacoma - Brake Vibration Issue

Post by Tim Martin »

If I recall right, they have drums on the rear. Is there a groove where the shoes tend to ride in on the backing plate? Also, the thickness of the rear shoes needs to be pretty much the same all round on them. As well, check the condition of the brake holddown hardware. These can cause strange issues.
brianp87
3K Time Lord Contributor
3K Time Lord Contributor

Post by brianp87 »

Could still be a warped rotor or drum
prestigeauto
50 Club: Regular Contributor

Post by prestigeauto »

I have learned aftermarket rotors SUCK! I get customers all the time wanting alignments for a brake pulsation. You try to explain to the customer that the problem is in the brakes, but they dont believe you because they had the pads and rotors already replaced by their "mechanic".

Easy to machine rotors and possibly drums and test drive then to spend an hour measuring for all possible runout issues. Some types of ceramic pads and could be the cause.
brianp87
3K Time Lord Contributor
3K Time Lord Contributor

Post by brianp87 »

I turn rotors on the vheilce. Does the vibration happen when applying the parking brake? Usually I can tell whether its front or rear.
prestigeauto

Post by prestigeauto »

Brian, which on the car brake lathe do you use?
brianp87
3K Time Lord Contributor
3K Time Lord Contributor

Post by brianp87 »

Pro cut its like 10 years old and still going strong. Id by a new one if I could ever get one demo'd
prestigeauto

Post by prestigeauto »

I would buy one too if I thought the techs would you use it on every car and not just the pressed type.
Tim Martin

Post by Tim Martin »

brianp87 wrote:Could still be a warped rotor or drum
I have seen rotors out of the box be warped and in need of some help. So, that is also a possibility.
brianp87
3K Time Lord Contributor
3K Time Lord Contributor

Post by brianp87 »

They should use it its easy, accurate and fast.
steven kiser
5K Holy Smokes Contributor
5K Holy Smokes Contributor

Post by steven kiser »

a quick test that i would use is applying the e brake at high speed and see if the vibration appears. that way you can diagnose where the vibration is. if the hubs on the front weren't absolutely cleaned then that could be the issue. the point made about off shore rotors is absolutely correct. i will only use o.e.m. purchased from world pac or the dealer. another point here is, was there an update for these brakes? i seem to remember replacing pads, calipers, rotors, and mounting hardware increasing the brake size. i use an acuturn on vehicle lathe. for that matter i put my ammco lathe in the storage room. in my opinion the price of the rotors and drums are low enough to warrant replacing as opposed to milling. another point is i've found that the rotors i've tried to machine (i still use the lathe from time to time for expensive rotors or drums or ones that aren't readily available) by the time i get them true they're below minimum thickness. i've started to machine rotors to have huge flakes of steel fly off leaving huge pock's in the rotor. i say steel but it's the dust from the pads that has solidified. now another point here is you state at the end of braking. i'm assuming (ya i know) that if you're going 75mph and start braking the pedal feels fine until the speed drops below 40 mph. if this is the case then look into a ball joint or other suspension issues. possibly a steering stabilizer shock.
never argue with a fool, they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience

Return to “Toyota / Lexus”