1998 Lexus ES300 - Steering Problem FIXED

Specific repair issues for Toyota + Lexus vehicles
gator automotive

1998 Lexus ES300 - Steering Problem FIXED

Post by gator automotive »

installed new rack unit, p.s. pump. pressure hose and still have jerky steering. tested struts-ok
never hard in the same spots. will turn easy then hard then easy again. thought maybe bad parts, so installed replacement parts again and still same problem. any ideas??

ps....thanks for the info all....as of this morning, the airiated fluid seems to have been the problem. never gave it a thought. makes me look dumb...lol...anyways working good now. thanks again.
Last edited by gator automotive on Wed Mar 16, 2011 5:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Pauls Automotive
1000 Club: Interstellar

Re: 98 lexus es300 steering problem

Post by Pauls Automotive »

I had this problem once with a Lexus......I found that down in the bottom of the resevoir there was a filter screen that was clogged up with debris from the old system. Once I cleaned it out everything worked fine. Also make sure the fluid isn't airiated. If so lt it settle overnight and try again. Good luck
Paul
Pauls Automotive
6318 Falls Road
Baltimore, Md 21209
410-825-2224
paul@paulsauto.com
TRUE HAPPINESS IS WITHIN YOU
steven kiser
5K Holy Smokes Contributor
5K Holy Smokes Contributor

Post by steven kiser »

ran into that same problem like paul as well as one in an audi with the filter in a banjo bolt. on this one i'm thinking the jerking motion may be the lower shaft. when they seize up it gives the hard, easy, hard, easy, feeling while turning the wheel. if this is the case and you've never done one it's fairly simple yet can be so frustrating. lock the steering wheel and if you unlock it don't let it spin more than three revolutions or you'll be replacing a clock spring. there are after market good quality (may even be stamped by toyota) sold by dorman.
never argue with a fool, they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
VCAC239
25 Club: Starting Contributor

Post by VCAC239 »

I've run into this same issue on many Lexus/Toyota vehicles, & it's the lower shaft u-joint. Here in Maine there's plenty of salt on the roads which bind everything up no problem at all. A quick test to confirm this issue & to spray the joint down with a good penatrating oil--I swear by "Freeze Off" made by CRC, p/n 05002. Anyway with a little lube, the steering will feel back to normal. Sometimes it will last a long time with the lubrication, other times you'll need a shaft.

Jeremy
Pauls Automotive

Post by Pauls Automotive »

Come to think of it I've come across a binding shaft as well. Forgot about that one.
Paul
Pauls Automotive
6318 Falls Road
Baltimore, Md 21209
410-825-2224
paul@paulsauto.com
TRUE HAPPINESS IS WITHIN YOU
fortknoxx
1500 Club Master Plus Contributor
1500 Club Master Plus Contributor

Post by fortknoxx »

Hey Gator glad you found the fix. But in futures could you just reply to the post. Once we have read a post we do not go back and reread the thread for edits. we scroll down to the bottom for the new post. We are old and set in our ways. There are a few of us that have no life and scour the forum all day and night. btw welcome to the forum!
T-N-T (Tina Nuse-Tolar)
Gone but not forgotten...Camper Bob's

609-760-7079 Cell
brianp87
3K Time Lord Contributor
3K Time Lord Contributor

Post by brianp87 »

I had one before. did you check the sensor to see if it was working and what the voltage to it was. The one I had had a bad module for the steerign it was delayed in sending the voltage to the sensor. Since the problem was so short lived it took me a while to find it.

Return to “Toyota / Lexus”