2002 Toyota Camry - CV Axle

Specific repair issues for Toyota + Lexus vehicles
LMORRIS249
25 Club: Starting Contributor

2002 Toyota Camry - CV Axle

Post by LMORRIS249 »

TRYING TO REPLACE DRIVER'S SIDE CV AXLE. CANNOT GET IT TO COME OUT. HAVE EVEN TRIED TAKING OUT PASSENGER SIDE AXLE AND KNOCKING IT OUT FROM THE PASSENGER SIDE. WHAT'S ANOTHER OPTION?
nickscarcare
750 Club: World Class Contributor
750 Club: World Class Contributor

Re: CV AXLE 2002 TOYOTA CAMRY

Post by nickscarcare »

From what I remember all those should just pop out. I do have an attachment for my slide hammer that works well for those stubborn ones. I am not sure what kind of camry it is se??? 4 or 6 cyl???
Some people try to turn back their odometers. Not me, I want people to know why I look this way. I've traveled a long way, and some of the roads weren't paved.

507-345-6425
http://www.nickscarcare.com
Tim Martin
2.5K Uber Ninja Contributor

Post by Tim Martin »

I have had them already that the little snap ring that holds them in has broken and is in several little pieces. If theisis the case, it will be next to impossible to get the shaft out. But by rotating the shaft and prying at the same time I was able to get the shaft out. Tests ones sanity.
steven kiser
5K Holy Smokes Contributor

Post by steven kiser »

i agree with the issue of the clip being either broken or stretched out of shape. you can rotate and pry, hope and pray, light a prayer candle, hire a witch doctor, or you may be able to take the replacement shaft, remove the tulip and slide the shaft into the frozen tulip, reband it and be done. if you've gotten over zealous (like i have in the past) there may be collateral damage. since you've already removed the other shaft you may be able to see the tension ring. with a long skinny screw driver you may be able to pop it off. trying to pry it back into the groove may be nearly impossible because it's probably bent. in some instances i;ve been successful in j.b. weld gluing a dental pick with a hook or bend on the end inside a piece of brake line and using that to tug the clip off. if the seal hasn't been damaged then i usually just swap out the axle shaft ends. i'll end with this. in the past i've found that bumping the shaft will work better that constant pressure along with using an air chisel to take it out. i'll only use the air chisel option when all else fails because it may break pieces off. good luck.
never argue with a fool, they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
ricmorin

Post by ricmorin »

I've had good luck with this.
The Popper
The Popper
axlepopper.png (20.93 KiB) Viewed 6704 times
The issue I find most often is how to get even pressure on both sides of the axle. This helps.
Ric Morin - Volunteer Forum Moderator, Shop Owner, ASE Master L1
Motorcar Alternatives, LLC
603-622-6434 x203
www.motorcaralternatives.com

I find my life is a lot easier when I use Special Orders
Tim Martin

Post by Tim Martin »

You bring up a good point. And I agree, having those 2 tools really helps. I have them also. I am trying to understand why I failed to think of them when I first posted.
ricmorin

Post by ricmorin »

Tim Martin wrote:You bring up a good point. And I agree, having those 2 tools really helps. I have them also. I am trying to understand why I failed to think of them when I first posted.
Probably because you don't use them often. As an owner I buy lots of special tools. I often forget that I have certain things. Part CRS, part old age. LOL
603-622-6434 x203

Tim Martin

Post by Tim Martin »

Well, it's not that I don't use them, I suppose I am old school yet. But I know what you mean, as an owner, I tend to suck up the new tools as they become available. I have untold amounts of tools I purchased through the last 20 years, some of which barely ever get used any more.
fortknoxx
1500 Club Master Plus Contributor
1500 Club Master Plus Contributor

Post by fortknoxx »

Tim Martin wrote:You bring up a good point. And I agree, having those 2 tools really helps. I have them also. I am trying to understand why I failed to think of them when I first posted.

SOMETIMERS
T-N-T (Tina Nuse-Tolar)
Gone but not forgotten...Camper Bob's

609-760-7079 Cell
jbadenoch
400 Club: Mega-Star Contributor
400 Club: Mega-Star Contributor

Post by jbadenoch »

I have had some tough ones like this. I have a brute force method that has always worked but it takes a bit of work.
Pop out the spring clip that holds the tripod in the tulip and weld a metal bar across the opening. Make a hole in the bar that will fit the shaft of your slide hammer before welding. Insert the slide hamer and finegle a nut in behind the bar. Bang away. Has not failed me yet and (knocks on wood) have done no damage to any transmissions or seals.
ricmorin

Post by ricmorin »

jbadenoch wrote:I have had some tough ones like this. I have a brute force method that has always worked but it takes a bit of work.
Pop out the spring clip that holds the tripod in the tulip and weld a metal bar across the opening. Make a hole in the bar that will fit the shaft of your slide hammer before welding. Insert the slide hamer and finegle a nut in behind the bar. Bang away. Has not failed me yet and (knocks on wood) have done no damage to any transmissions or seals.
Wow. That's extreme! I've never had to go that far. Let's hope I never do, but if the need arises, thanks for the info. 8)
603-622-6434 x203

Return to “Toyota / Lexus”