2004 SCION XA - A/C Ghost

Specific repair issues for Toyota + Lexus vehicles
92zman
200 Club: Major Contributor

2004 SCION XA - A/C Ghost

Post by 92zman »

we have a 2004 scion here that for some reason one time u are in the car it will frezze u out and then the next it is like it is not working. Checked and found then the compresser is on but my psi are low side 90-110 and high side 150-180 frist thing i did was pull all the a/c out and found then it had twice what shoud be in it. Refilled and checked again seem to work great for a day and then it was back with the same thing. Looked at it again and then replaced the expansion valve and checked out great again. But know it will be here tomorrow with the same thing. I know the compressure is working can see a change in the psi when i unplug the high side shut off. Any idea would help.
ricmorin
5K Holy Smokes Contributor

Re: 2004 SCION XA A/C Ghost

Post by ricmorin »

92zman wrote:we have a 2004 scion here that for some reason one time u are in the car it will frezze u out and then the next it is like it is not working. Checked and found then the compresser is on but my psi are low side 90-110 and high side 150-180 frist thing i did was pull all the a/c out and found then it had twice what shoud be in it. Refilled and checked again seem to work great for a day and then it was back with the same thing. Looked at it again and then replaced the expansion valve and checked out great again. But know it will be here tomorrow with the same thing. I know the compressure is working can see a change in the psi when i unplug the high side shut off. Any idea would help.
My question would be what were the pressures the second time? The first pressure readings do indeed indicate an overcharge condition. You may be over-oil too? With all that freon it makes you wonder how much oil was introduced.
Ric Morin - Volunteer Forum Moderator, Shop Owner, ASE Master L1
Motorcar Alternatives, LLC
603-622-6434 x203
www.motorcaralternatives.com

I find my life is a lot easier when I use Special Orders
92zman

Re: 2004 SCION XA - A/C Ghost

Post by 92zman »

Yea i can see that. Any good ideas on getting the oil out with out pulling it all aprt. The psi when it was not working when it came back was the same as before.
ricmorin

Post by ricmorin »

There are some good AC guys here on the forum. The only way I know is to pull it apart. Just what you wanted to hear, eh?
Ric Morin - Volunteer Forum Moderator, Shop Owner, ASE Master L1
Motorcar Alternatives, LLC
603-622-6434 x203
www.motorcaralternatives.com

I find my life is a lot easier when I use Special Orders
brianp87
3K Time Lord Contributor
3K Time Lord Contributor

Post by brianp87 »

The only way to get the oil out is to flush it or maybe the most cost effective way would be to repalce the drier?
brianp87
3K Time Lord Contributor
3K Time Lord Contributor

Post by brianp87 »

It could be a restriction some were causing the issue also. Was there any debris in the system when you had the exp out?
steven kiser

Post by steven kiser »

is the evap freezing up? i've seen a lot of issues where the drain is plugged and the moisture will cling to the evap and freeze. if it is freezing the expansion valve will act up. and as we know if the valve acts up then the pressure will vary. i would ask about prior shop "fixes". there may me to much oil because of recharges and there may be an issue of after repairing the original problem you may have to deal with wreckage of other shops. the system can be flushed. i would replace the receiver dryer just because the system will be open.
never argue with a fool, they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
jbadenoch
400 Club: Mega-Star Contributor
400 Club: Mega-Star Contributor

Post by jbadenoch »

what are the pressures when it stops working? I'm with steve, clogged drain or possibly a bad pressure sensor not cutting off ac when it gets too cold. manual or auto ac?
92zman

Post by 92zman »

Car did not show up. Cant really say then i am upset about it. If it shows up i will let u all know what i find thanks for all the info
coffeess99

Post by coffeess99 »

I have had this happen but the Car had been in an accident before I got to work on it they replace the compressor but nothing else and would build up debris inside and block expansion valve filter it was a mess butt I was able to bill the Ins company for everything
steven kiser

Post by steven kiser »

Just to add a S & Giggle here, especially since it's been a while and I can laugh at it now. Car was brought into my shop with an issue where it would work then not, pressure would build up and compressor would start chirping. Eventually found a piece of the rubber plug used to seal the condenser. Another vehicle that was towed in after everything had been replaced to solve an over heating problem starting with a radiator that had been leaking we found the plastic plug still in the top port of the radiator. I'm sure there are stories about my shop out there but I don't think at that level. Usually it's how even though it's fixed and running great I'm a thief, there is another shop that could do that work for 1/2 of what I did. :lol:
never argue with a fool, they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience

Return to “Toyota / Lexus”