1999 Lexus ES300 - Timing Belt Issue FIXED

Specific repair issues for Toyota + Lexus vehicles
jbadenoch
400 Club: Mega-Star Contributor

1999 Lexus ES300 - Timing Belt Issue FIXED

Post by jbadenoch »

Good morning, have a 99 lexus es 300 dohc, came in for t belt and water pump. Has 180,000 on clock and was running fine when it came in. After belt replacement vehicle will start then die after a few seconds. When it runs for that 2-3 seconds its smooth, no skips or shakes. Even when holding/featering throttle it still dies in the same time. It will rev to about 1200 rpm in that short window. We have tore t belt back down to the bones and CAREFULLY checked all marks. White marks on belt line up to dots, arrows on belt facing correct direction, notches on cam pulleys line up to notches on back cover, dot on crank reluctor wheel lines up perfectly. Tensioner push rod measures 10.3 mm which is with in specs. Battery was never disconnected and was not dead upon completion of work. No wires or plugs are off or pinched or loose or unplugged. Cam and crank senors are good. Seems like a security issue to me, but dont think it has one, no blinking light, no info or pids in Verus for security. Any help at all on this one would be greatly appreciated.
Last edited by jbadenoch on Thu Jun 13, 2013 6:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
jbadenoch

Re: 99 lexus es300 timing belt issue

Post by jbadenoch »

think im helping myself. In re-examining everything, i found what appears to be a missing tooth on crank reluctor wheel. Going to get a new crank gear and confirm missing tooth, (kind of hard to tell if missing or factory notched, cant find good pic) Gear be in thursday, keep ya posted. Thanks for the help, lol,lol
steven kiser
5K Holy Smokes Contributor

Re: 1999 Lexus ES300 - Timing Belt Issue

Post by steven kiser »

I've seen issues like this because the ground wire from engine to body is either loose or not attached.
never argue with a fool, they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
jbadenoch

Re: 1999 Lexus ES300 - Timing Belt Issue

Post by jbadenoch »

Got the new gear in and its missing 2 teeth. Guess they just decided to run away, tech has no idea how they broke off, maybe pryed on gear? Anyway, problem solved. Thanks for input steve
steven kiser

Re: 1999 Lexus ES300 - Timing Belt Issue FIXED

Post by steven kiser »

I think I know how it happened because I've done it myself :shock: . One day I was doing a belt on a Toyota and I couldn't get the crank gear exactly where I wanted it so I used a long narrow chisel and tapped it against a tooth. It doesn't take much. My bad :lol: :lol: :lol: .

While we're on tis particular vehicle a little tip I picked up is when you do a belt and a cam gear is a tooth off (seems to happen to me more than I want because my eyes aren't as good as they once were) I tale a 3/16th's drill bit and with the flute facing out I put it in a groove on the gear and turn the engine over using a ratchet on the crank. The drill bit causes the belt to jump a tooth and since it's turning slow the tensioner collapses and there is no belt stretch. Before I learned this it could take me a few resets before I nailed it. With a big head like mine I can't get close enough to be 100% on the firewall cam gear.
never argue with a fool, they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
jbadenoch

Re: 1999 Lexus ES300 - Timing Belt Issue FIXED

Post by jbadenoch »

I've had the same issue, only a few times though. Sounds like an awesome tip and ill have to try it next time it happens. What i really hate, is when lining up the belt, you find its inbetween teeth. Which way to go. I always seem to pick the wrong side and have to re-adjust. Have a good up coming daddys day

Return to “Toyota / Lexus”