2006 VW Jetta TDI Brake Pulsation Problem

Specific repair issues for Audi & Volkswagen vehicles
Tim Martin
2.5K Uber Ninja Contributor
2.5K Uber Ninja Contributor

2006 VW Jetta TDI Brake Pulsation Problem

Post by Tim Martin »

The vehicle is a 2006 VW Jetta with a 1.9L diesel and an automatic transmission. The vehicle came in with a bad brake pulsation problem. We replaced both front and rear pads, and resurfaced the rotors. These rotors are the ones with slots and holes in them, I suppose for better heat disapation. And, we also cleaned the calipers and brake saddles so that they slide freely. The issue is that even after that, we still have us a severe brake pulsation. What are we missing? The customer also just installed new tires because they were smooth.
sbebenelli
750 Club: World Class Contributor

Re: 2006 VW Jetta TDI Brake Pulsation Problem

Post by sbebenelli »

There is a TSB about brake pulsation, 46 11 06, but skimming through it real quick basically says to machine if you have enough rotor thickness. You might want to read it better because I didn't read the whole thing.

Other than that can you use a dial indicator to make sure one of the rotors still doesn't have a problem?
nickscarcare

Post by nickscarcare »

Do you have a on car lathe, or are you machining them off car. Like the last post said, I would check for runout while on the car and see if the hub has some variation. Another thing could be hot spots in the rotor which will never come out unless replaced.
Some people try to turn back their odometers. Not me, I want people to know why I look this way. I've traveled a long way, and some of the roads weren't paved.

507-345-6425
http://www.nickscarcare.com
92zman
200 Club: Major Contributor
200 Club: Major Contributor

Post by 92zman »

Need to check the hub for run out.
brianp87
3K Time Lord Contributor
3K Time Lord Contributor

Post by brianp87 »

Id turn them on the vehicle and be done with it.
steven kiser
5K Holy Smokes Contributor
5K Holy Smokes Contributor

Post by steven kiser »

Sounds like some highly paid Tire Tech really screwed up the tightening sequence. Before going any further I would spin the wheel while on a lift looking for even a minor deviation. The wheel on these especially aftermarket ones have a habit of extreme oxidation and the break pattern when the wheel is removed usually leaves a high and low side. Over tightening trying to crush to fit may look great to the trained eye but some one may have made a big boo boo at the tire shop and now trying to prove it is almost impossible. Personally I would lay it all out for the customer showing how something like this can cause a huge issue with diagnosing. Good Luck.
never argue with a fool, they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience

Return to “VW / Audi”