1999 VW Jetta - 2.0L AEG P0341 Code FIXED

Specific repair issues for Audi & Volkswagen vehicles
HINEMANS

1999 VW Jetta - 2.0L AEG P0341 Code FIXED

Post by HINEMANS »

Got this Jetta in with an overheating / head gasket problem. after sending the head out we got back the cam sensor broken. whether it was the head shop or a prior prob we don't know but after puting it all togeather and a test drive the p0341 cam sensor circuit code cam up. we had already put on a new sensor. so we did the testing good continuity (.02 ohms) b/t the sensor and computer and good voltage at the sensor (4.89 volts) looking for ideas. also good ground to block.
steven kiser
5K Holy Smokes Contributor

Re: 99 vw jetta 2.0 aeg p0341 code

Post by steven kiser »

an improper timing belt alignment will defiantly cause this. a quick little tip on how to move a belt a tooth at a time is to take he smooth end of a 1/4" drill bit and place it on between the cogs on the cam gear. turn the engine over with a socket on the crank bolt. depending on which side of gear and which way you turn the engine is the way the belt will jump a tooth. don't use a bolt. the surface has to be smooth or it will damage the integrity. i can't tell you how many times i've cured belt alignment issues doing this.
never argue with a fool, they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
HINEMANS

Re: 1999 VW Jetta - 2.0L AEG P0341 Code

Post by HINEMANS »

i checked timing and saw it to be dead on but tried moving it a tooth forward and a tooth backward. no luck light still comes on during second key cycle. same 341 code anybody have any other ideas? could this be a pcm issue?
steven kiser

Post by steven kiser »

on a limb here but was the sensor ordered from a dealer and by vin?
never argue with a fool, they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
HINEMANS

Post by HINEMANS »

no it was from advance autoparts but if it makes you feel better it was made in germany.
brianp87
3K Time Lord Contributor
3K Time Lord Contributor

Post by brianp87 »

Ive never ran into this but found this if it helps:
The G40 Camshaft Position (CMP) sensor is located in the distributor. The distributor is driven by a separate shaft and can be easily misaligned during camshaft belt replacement.

1. Verify that the G40 sensor is in proper phase with the G28 engine speed sensor (located in the block near the oil filter housing), by placing the engine at Top Dead Center (TDC) #1 cylinder. Be sure to have the crankshaft set exactly on TDC #1.

2. Remove the distributor cap and verify that the distributor rotor is pointed exactly at the notch in the distributor body. A slight misalignment of the distributor is sufficient to set code P0341.
NOTE: It may be necessary to remove the locating pins on the distributor housing to gain enough movement to bring the distributor back into the correct position.

3. If the position is correct, test the hall signal from the distributor by back probing the 3-pin connector and testing for battery voltage between pins 1 and 3 (at least 11v) and reference voltage on pin 2 (between 5 and 11v). As the distributor turns, reference voltage on pin 2 has to drop to less than 1v (as the window in the distributor passes the pickup) and then go back to its normal value. A lab scope will show a square wave output on that wire.
HINEMANS

Post by HINEMANS »

another side thought. the key way was missing off of the cam gear when it came back from the machine shop and we replaced it with a common new keyway is it posible that the keyway is an off set type?
ricmorin

Post by ricmorin »

A second start 341 usually indicates that timing is incorrect, but not always. If you're absolutely sure the timing is on and the wiring is ok, take a look at the shutter that is on the backside of the cam gear. It may be distorted or damaged. If not, I'd go with a factory cam sensor. VW is not very tolerant of aftermarket parts.
Ric Morin - Volunteer Forum Moderator, Shop Owner, ASE Master L1
Motorcar Alternatives, LLC
603-622-6434 x203
www.motorcaralternatives.com

I find my life is a lot easier when I use Special Orders
ricmorin

Post by ricmorin »

brianp87 wrote:Ive never ran into this but found this if it helps:
The G40 Camshaft Position (CMP) sensor is located in the distributor. The distributor is driven by a separate shaft and can be easily misaligned during camshaft belt replacement.

1. Verify that the G40 sensor is in proper phase with the G28 engine speed sensor (located in the block near the oil filter housing), by placing the engine at Top Dead Center (TDC) #1 cylinder. Be sure to have the crankshaft set exactly on TDC #1.

2. Remove the distributor cap and verify that the distributor rotor is pointed exactly at the notch in the distributor body. A slight misalignment of the distributor is sufficient to set code P0341.
NOTE: It may be necessary to remove the locating pins on the distributor housing to gain enough movement to bring the distributor back into the correct position.

3. If the position is correct, test the hall signal from the distributor by back probing the 3-pin connector and testing for battery voltage between pins 1 and 3 (at least 11v) and reference voltage on pin 2 (between 5 and 11v). As the distributor turns, reference voltage on pin 2 has to drop to less than 1v (as the window in the distributor passes the pickup) and then go back to its normal value. A lab scope will show a square wave output on that wire.
I think the AEG engine has no distributor. Only the ABA engine did.
Ric Morin - Volunteer Forum Moderator, Shop Owner, ASE Master L1
Motorcar Alternatives, LLC
603-622-6434 x203
www.motorcaralternatives.com

I find my life is a lot easier when I use Special Orders
brianp87
3K Time Lord Contributor
3K Time Lord Contributor

Post by brianp87 »

I have no idea I just put 2.0 AEG in identifix since I rarely work on vw's in hopes it would help him
HINEMANS

Post by HINEMANS »

OEM VW sensor fixed the prob. thanks guys
steven kiser

Post by steven kiser »

HINEMANS wrote:OEM VW sensor fixed the prob. thanks guys

another issue caused by an after market part. it seems i'm seeing this more and more.........................

Return to “VW / Audi”