2000 VW New Beetle - Security Problems

Specific repair issues for Audi & Volkswagen vehicles
protraxrptr17
100 Club: Active Contributor

2000 VW New Beetle - Security Problems

Post by protraxrptr17 »

Customer said he hooked up his battery charger and put it on engine start. Ever since the car will start and immediately go dead. Security light doesn't come on even for a bulb check. I think he zapped the processor. I have tried to relearn it many times, many ways. The security module is in the cluster. Can I get a used cluster and reflash it with my pass-thru?
ricmorin
5K Holy Smokes Contributor

Re: '00 New Beetle security problems

Post by ricmorin »

Any modules that are related to the immobilizer need to be flashed through Erwin. 2009 and earlier vehicles require the VAS5051 or the VAS5052. 2010 and later vehicles can be flashed using software on a pc and a compliant J2534 device. Both require the shop to be authorized as an independent workshop through ARVATO. Then you must purchase a one year subscription to the diagnostic software site. Additionally, you need an adaption request at the time of flashing.

It's a bit involved.

There's some software out there from China that can do some immobilizer stuff on pre-can vehicles, but it's very sketchy. Mine had a Trojan buried in it. Beware.

If you do plenty of VW's, it's worth it.
Ric Morin - Volunteer Forum Moderator, Shop Owner, ASE Master L1
Motorcar Alternatives, LLC
603-622-6434 x203
www.motorcaralternatives.com

I find my life is a lot easier when I use Special Orders
protraxrptr17

Re: 2000 VW New Beetle - Security Problems

Post by protraxrptr17 »

No, this is my first one besides the one I own. Guess I'm going to have to send it to the dealer. Oh how I hate to tell a customer I can't do something.
steven kiser

Post by steven kiser »

then don't. i'll tow vehicles to a dealer before i say i can't do it. i agree with you completely about not being able to do the work and turning it over to the dealer. now going out on a limb here (again), i wonder if the key was on when he powered up the battery with the "start" option. or there's a chance that the cables may have been crossed. see if there is any sign of arcing near the posts. were the fuses checked? are there any accessories that don't work? there may be more damage than the security module. another thing that i've gotten into the habit of doing with a crank no start issue is to ask for all the keys and look into the remote start if it has one.
never argue with a fool, they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
protraxrptr17

Post by protraxrptr17 »

Well, I took the cluster out of my personal car and put into the disabled car. The security light flashed and th cluster lit up like it was supposed to (only half of the original was lighting up.) I talked to the owner (which is a used car dealer) and we may just part the car out if we can find a buyer for the engine. I want the transmission for my car. Mine has an auto and this one has a 5 speed. The car is pretty nice but he doesn't have a whole bunch of money in it, so I may buy it from him and dismantle it.

Return to “VW / Audi”