2004 VW Bettle Cabrio Conv - Shuts Down

Specific repair issues for Audi & Volkswagen vehicles
Ranciersvc
25 Club: Starting Contributor

2004 VW Bettle Cabrio Conv - Shuts Down

Post by Ranciersvc »

We have run into a stopping point on this car.

It will only open about 3/4 way then will shut down. Once system reset you can close but still will not open all the way. iIt is tripping the circuit breaker. Our scanner that should be able to read this vehicle according to Snap-on wont communicate with any module in car. We have tried the few TSBs that we can pull up from Mitchell but none of those worked either.

Anyone ran into this issue? Fluid is okay.
ricmorin
5K Holy Smokes Contributor

Re: 2004 VW New Bettle Cabrio Conv

Post by ricmorin »

First of all, consider one of these if you work on VW....

http://www.ross-tech.com/vag-com/index.html

There are a couple of switches that monitor the side flaps....those can cause this. There is a Pinch Protection Feature that may need resetting. Was the top obstructed in any way before you got it? You can reset this by unlocking car from driver's door with key and hold so all windows go down and then hold for another 5 seconds. Then lock until windows go back up and hold like before. Having access to real fault codes would help here. :cry:
Ric Morin - Volunteer Forum Moderator, Shop Owner, ASE Master L1
Motorcar Alternatives, LLC
603-622-6434 x203
www.motorcaralternatives.com

I find my life is a lot easier when I use Special Orders
steven kiser

Re: 2004 VW Bettle Cabrio Conv - Shuts Down

Post by steven kiser »

any pivots binding
never argue with a fool, they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
Ranciersvc

Post by Ranciersvc »

Tried the reset. Doesnt help. Check the circuit breakers they are okay.Finally got ahold of a contact at dealer here and they said they have had problem with guides breaking and causing the binding. Guess we will ship it to dealer. Thanks for all the ideas.
steven kiser

Post by steven kiser »

i'm a bit confused here. you got an answer and are shipping it to the dealer. why? if i got the answer i'd go for the fix and put a green back in my wallet. i'll go to any lengths to keep all repairs in house. i've called the "contacts" at dealers like you did and had them come in after hours to do a job in my shop. an example would be the dreaded twin vvc timing belt on a volvo. had a tech come in and the tech's and myself watched him do it. this made the confusion of the vvt set up go away. watching him do it made all the questions fall into place. i know, i know, i'm off point here but i just felt this was a good place to work that in.............
never argue with a fool, they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
Ranciersvc

Post by Ranciersvc »

The guides weren't the fix. It was the right side flap arm motor according to the dealer. Guess we will find out once they get the part on. If I believed that we could fix it here without tearing something up then I would definately do it. The only reason we had this was because its the bosses granddaughter's car to begin with so we arent making anything off it anyways. I would rather send it so it can be repaired correctly then spend anymore days trying to fix it.
steven kiser

Post by steven kiser »

bosses grand daughter? great move shipping it to the dealer. let them deal with any issues...................you know the rule of mechanicizims ? the one that states if anything can go wrong on a family members car it most certainly will and in way's never thought possible. put a bulb in a sister in laws car and two weeks later the exhaust drops. take the hit, it's your fault. nothing more or less. personally i flat refuse to work on any family members car with the exception of my direct family and my mother in law. either i get blamed for something that has absolutely nothing to do with what was repaired, accused of charging to much or even giving them a bill, not being able to say anything if one chooses not to pay at all, being accused of dishonesty because their child (with a known drug habit) claims he gave me the cash his mother gave him and i never gave him and lost the receipt with his aunt doing my book work knowing damn well that no cash was received stated that she would not side with either of us over this issue. well she no longer works for me and i will not allow anyone associated with this particular person that even remotely thinks that i screwed him along with the fact that there are two other children by another in law that i make empty their pockets when they leave my house. the first time was at a christmas eve dinner and everyone thought i was being a complete a** hole until four disk games, a watch, two rings , necklace and a small amount of cash fell on the table. then to top this off two in laws claimed it was an honest mistake because they may have thought they were christmas gifts. i asked that if you purchased an apple at the grocery store was it acceptable to feel that if they were caught dragging out a side of beef it was an honest mistake. they, them,. all were thrown out of my house, shop, and life as far as i can go. my wife refused to deal with this with her family and felt if it wasn't acknowledged than it would go away. she married the wrong person. a year later i pretty much got going when the cash issue was brought up during a big family fourth of july party. neighbors, friends, spouses, etc. her sister said something along the lines of it was about time i admitted i was wrong. my wife ran like emmit smith to get to me but was about two steps to slow. i called that all spineless sob's and the kids all thieves. family, bah...............

Return to “VW / Audi”