1999 VW Jetta - 2.0L Temp Sensor *TIP*

Specific repair issues for Audi & Volkswagen vehicles
fortknoxx
1500 Club Master Plus Contributor

1999 VW Jetta - 2.0L Temp Sensor *TIP*

Post by fortknoxx »

Well after a few months of temp gauge int inop, I finally bit the bullet and replaced it. I admit it. I was afraid of the lil german. If I had known how easy it was and how cheap the part was I'd have done months ago. The wonders of german engineering. If you count the time it took to open the hood, locate the sensor, remove it from the box it came in, pull sensor out of hole, install it, put plastic clip back in (not counting the time to look for the lil springie thingie that holds the plug on, that I dropped into never never land) put the plug back on and shut the hood. It takes longer to make toast in the toaster. It was located in a plastic housing where the upper hose attaches to. held into place by a plastic retainer clip. It has some kinda rubber seal in there. No leaks, gauge works, and springie thingie from horn plug is too big.

TIP: do not remove springie thingie from plug, just squeeze the 2 tabs and it will release :roll:

ps still looking for the springie thingie, last known location was just inside the space just big enough for it to fit in, inbetween skid plate and trans. second tip, mechanics fingers can push it far out of sight and reach. Lesson learned. When gaige doesn't work, I'll know the plug came loose.
T-N-T (Tina Nuse-Tolar)
Gone but not forgotten...Camper Bob's

609-760-7079 Cell
steven kiser
5K Holy Smokes Contributor
5K Holy Smokes Contributor

Re: 1999 VW Jetta - 2.0L Temp Sensor *TIP*

Post by steven kiser »

this is one of the biggest reasons i have a tupper ware container full of these clips. i take them off the cars that are going to the scrapper. i've also gone to the salvage yards i contribute to and take all the sensor housings and clips, casings, etc. we all know the little pos that the dealer doesn't stock and takes days to get a .30 clip. i also stock the clips for the transmission lines, cooling lines, and fuel line sleeves and stuff. way to many times i threw a nutty or two because of lost clips or housings that have disintegrated when i pulled the sensor. i have a box full of connectors for sensors and partial harnesses. my help think i'm a bit of a pack rat and maybe so but then they're not the ones that have to explain to the customer that they're not going on vacation when planned because a anchor clip sailed. i tell them rotted, don't have the guts to tell them i lost it. the little "i'll never need this" things are the real killers of techs. not the exhaust fumes or chemicals we use in non ventilated areas. :lol: i really shouldn't laugh because of all the health hazards we either have or still are working with. i use to blow brake dust off backing plates and shoes before i removed them because i didn't want to get my hands dirty. i know a few guys that have passed on from asbestos related illnesses. back to point, i have buckets of strange looking bolts and acessories. i have left handed bolts and nuts, the dorman selection that the part store was heaving, 5 gallon buckets full of assorted brass fittings. i use the new fittings that come with radiators but remove the old ones and save them in a bucket. i'll heave a good small block but keep the double sided bolts etc. other shops got wind of my little pile of gold and have made the trip to look through the saved stuff. if i like you you're more than welcome. if not get out. i actually caught a tech that i liked come in and muddle through the pile for a plastic housing for another shop that i wouldn't give floor sweepings to. he's now outside the circle of "friends". the shop owner called and asked if he was still welcome. told him a line was crossed and no. christ, it's a big pile of stuff. go to the salvage yard yourself. i'm on a roll and got to stop now or i'll still be typing away until i go home. oh ya, by the way tina, i owe you one. i'll call later. it was a good laugh.
never argue with a fool, they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
fortknoxx

Re: 1999 VW Jetta - 2.0L Temp Sensor *TIP*

Post by fortknoxx »

wait till your wife finds out you have her tupperware in the shop.

*TIP* men, DO NOT TOUCH OUR TUPPERWARE! You have been warned. I turn into a real girl when someone touches my tupperware, partylite candles and my plants.
T-N-T (Tina Nuse-Tolar)
Gone but not forgotten...Camper Bob's

609-760-7079 Cell

Return to “VW / Audi”