2001 VW Passat - 4 Motion 2.8 Start & Die FIXED

Specific repair issues for Audi & Volkswagen vehicles
LLOYDS

2001 VW Passat - 4 Motion 2.8 Start & Die FIXED

Post by LLOYDS »

sorry for delay on posting fix Replaced pcm and had programed fixed problem back on road

Car was pulled into shop with a start and die symptom. Pulled codes found P0321 ignition not receiving rpm signal. Checked RPM sensor for resisitance check ok checked pickup wheel seems to be in tack with what u can see through hole. While testing we have no spark or injector pulse. We than gave a crank sensor (RPM sensor) a shot thinking it would cure our problem no luck. We got lucky and had identical car in for oil change borrowed igntion module and coils but no succes either. any good help
Last edited by LLOYDS on Mon Jun 21, 2010 5:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
MIKE
ricmorin
5K Holy Smokes Contributor

Re: 2001 VW Passat - 4 Motion 2.8 Start & Die

Post by ricmorin »

LLOYDS wrote:Car was pulled into shop with a start and die symptom. Pulled codes found P0321 ignition not receiving rpm signal. Checked RPM sensor for resisitance check ok checked pickup wheel seems to be in tack with what u can see through hole. While testing we have no spark or injector pulse. We than gave a crank sensor (RPM sensor) a shot thinking it would cure our problem no luck. We got lucky and had identical car in for oil change borrowed igntion module and coils but no succes either. any good help
Best thing to do is check for signal right at the sensor. LH side on bell housing. Use a labscope. If signal is good there, check at ECM. These are known for coolant getting into ECM from failed coolant sensor, so I'd check that as well. Can cause all kinds of weird problems. Coolant travels all the way up the wire. :shock:
Ric Morin - Volunteer Forum Moderator, Shop Owner, ASE Master L1
Motorcar Alternatives, LLC
603-622-6434 x203
www.motorcaralternatives.com

I find my life is a lot easier when I use Special Orders
steven kiser

Post by steven kiser »

i've had oil leaks in vw's coming out of harnesses before as well as coolant. the fluid travels through the boot over the sensor into the sleeve that's covering that harness until it finds an out. it takes longer to clean the harness than you would think. if the coolant has traveled into the harness take the necessary time to flush it out.
never argue with a fool, they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
LLOYDS

Post by LLOYDS »

Have taken the steps 2 checking the coolant sensor for leaking looks good. Removed ECM from enclosed box. Checked conections for coolant and oil no immediate signs. Also hooked lab scope to both cam sensors each has a good wave form at ecm and checked crank sensor for signal at ECM good wave form cranking. All three sensors were back probed at the ECM.
MIKE
ricmorin

Post by ricmorin »

Might be leaning towards a PCM then. Just double check everything before you pull the trigger.
Ric Morin - Volunteer Forum Moderator, Shop Owner, ASE Master L1
Motorcar Alternatives, LLC
603-622-6434 x203
www.motorcaralternatives.com

I find my life is a lot easier when I use Special Orders
steven kiser

Post by steven kiser »

on a limb here. was any work done within a reasonable time prior to this issue? there are a few modules in these cars that need reburns. i'm leaning towards a pcm as well but check and see if this needs programming before you make a quote. i had to replace a clock spring in one of these and it cost a 100 bucks to program the pcm to read it.
never argue with a fool, they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience

Return to “VW / Audi”