2002 VW Passat GLS - No Start

Specific repair issues for Audi & Volkswagen vehicles
autoxperts
50 Club: Regular Contributor

2002 VW Passat GLS - No Start

Post by autoxperts »

have 2002 VW Passat GLS; bought the car for 500.00.

Put battery in car, it started but low oil presure light would come on. so flushed engine, problem went away. then a week later went to start battery dead was so charged and car will not do anything. check all grounds and everything is good. but radio flashes safe with numbers 1000 scanner will not comunicate, does have power to obd plug.
fortknoxx
1500 Club Master Plus Contributor

Re: 2002 vw passat gls no start

Post by fortknoxx »

i know how dumb it sounds but, unplug the radio and see if the scanner will communicate. don't ask why just do it.
T-N-T (Tina Nuse-Tolar)
Gone but not forgotten...Camper Bob's

609-760-7079 Cell
fortknoxx

Post by fortknoxx »

Here is a post to check out. My alt was bad in my jetts when i first got it. not warning lights came on at all. this was because the wrong radio was in it. Your radio should light up blue and red, not yellow. yours might be the oppisite of mine. you might have a jetta (mexico) radio in yours. Your car was born in germany right?

http://www.managerforum.net/viewtopic.p ... man#p50219

Re: 2009 Honda Civic - Door Locks Won't Unlock?
by fortknoxx on Wed Jul 07, 2010 12:56 pm

first dig of my vin 3= hecho en mexico, so my windows are true el manual. i also know the mexican vw's do not play nice with the german vw's. radio plug the same, diff wiring. even though the radio out of a passat functioned correctly in my jetta, ecm would not comm with scanner. had it not happened to me, I never would have believed it.
Tina
http://www.facebook.com/joshiemommie
http://www.myspace.com/joshiemommie
609-261-2222
T-N-T (Tina Nuse-Tolar)

609-760-7079 Cell
steven kiser
5K Holy Smokes Contributor

Post by steven kiser »

if it's from mexico you better run the vin to see if i't still hot. :shock: :shock: now on the serious side here, ya, ya, i know, there is a secondary fuse panel near the battery. take the cover off and see if any fuse connectors are melted. the dealer had 5 of them in stock when i called for one.
never argue with a fool, they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
steven kiser

Post by steven kiser »

i'll continue on this post. i had the sister to this car in my shop last week. customer complained that the a/c quit and check engine light flickered. scanned with no codes and found the fan module melted. replaced module and a/c would enguage, fan would cycle on, off, on, off just like you were flicking a light switch. compressor was matching the fan. pressure spiked and blow off valve let go. we could jump system and compressor and fan would engage but after a few minutes the blow off valve would open. pulled line off high side of compressor and there was metal in there so we replaced the compressor, expansion valve, receiver dryer. condenser was clean and we flushed the system. made no sense at all everything was working but nothing was. tech mentioned that he burned his hand on the condenser :shock:, told him to put the blower from the dyno in front of the car and fire it up, activated the a/c system and lets see what happens. the a/c functioned fine. turned off the fan and within 10 seconds the valve blew. called a buddy of mine that specialized in these and he said that the a/c pressure will sky rocket if fan wasn't working and would blow the valve. told him the fan was working and the module had melted. he asked about the history and if there had been any strange electrical issues in the past. there had been an issue with the air bag system and we had to reprogram it three or four times to make the bcm accept it. io was told to take a close look at the fuse panel for any signs of melting near the fuse spade. was told that he had replaced a few of these but never for what i was dealing with. well there was melting near one of the spades so we replaced it and "wham" all was well. fan wasn't reaching optimum speed and since connection was loose not broken all tested well even the amps were acceptable. i spoke with mike, the parts manager at the v.w dealer i use and he told me that these melt and cause many, many "it makes no sense" issues. there is really no direct tie in some issues while there are in others. i had the "no direct tie" one. i'll never make the same mistake again. i'm going to check all these panels on my customers cars and when i have one towed in from the interstate you know that's what i'm going for on these cars as well. the good thins is that i could justify all we did to the a/c system. maybe the parts manager was trying to make me feel better by saying that the debris may have caused pressure issues and making the fan stay on high speed for prolonged periods caused the module to melt. don't know but don't feel like we threw a bunch of unnecessary parts at it either.
never argue with a fool, they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
autoxperts

Post by autoxperts »

I unpluged radio and now the scanner will communicate. i have not check that one
fortknoxx

Post by fortknoxx »

autoxperts wrote:I unpluged radio and now the scanner will communicate. i have not check that one
boy am i glad I am not the only one. It looks like you have the same prob I had. btw, what color did your radio light up, yellow or blue/red? I would check jy for radio, make sure it comes from a car mfg in the same country. I believe the passats are born in germany.
T-N-T (Tina Nuse-Tolar)

609-760-7079 Cell

Return to “VW / Audi”