1998 Audi A4 - Chain Noise

Specific repair issues for Audi & Volkswagen vehicles
NPASC_mike
100 Club: Active Contributor

Re: 1998 Audi A4 - Chain Noise

Post by NPASC_mike »

SSDD.... :x Runs like a top, still sounds like a screwdriver in in the spokes of a bicycle. Giving up on this one I think.. at least until after vacation... ( ahhh 23 hours away)
There is always enough time to do it right the first time.
steven kiser
5K Holy Smokes Contributor

Post by steven kiser »

have a good vacation. are you sure it's top end? i've had some noises really mess with me. can you feel as well as hear it? it sounds like a temp issue. if lifters were floating it would flatten out. i'm not reading back here so if it's repetitive please excuse me. if you have a bore scope look into each cylinder and see if there are any small smiles on the piston. i've seen carbon buildup or debris on pistons that jamb up a valve and make a clicking noise. don't ya just love these issues. on occasion i feel like bricking the pedal and dropping some bb's into the intake. put's an end to it and it's dead. :lol:
never argue with a fool, they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
NPASC_mike

Post by NPASC_mike »

liljoe wrote:How did this one turn out?

"The Cornelia Marie now has a new anchor." in the shape of an Audi. Kid drove it for a while then parked it as no one on the island would work on it. I hated to see this kid putting a ton of money into this car that just was not worth it, I told him to give up now before it got deeper into his wallet than it already was.. I hate not fixing it, but I know I was upfront with him about everything and what we might run into. I wish I could have heard this car run before I ever touched it. I may not have taken the job. I should have stopped after I got the head off and realized this thing has had a hard, rough life. but like many of us, once we start something we want to finish it. another lesson learned.... :?
steven kiser

Post by steven kiser »

i know exactly how you feel. over the years i've had a few issues like this and i've bought a few just to follow it through to the end. i had a taurus sho that was making a clacking noise. the kid had just had the transmission done and it was making the noise when he got it back. it was a bomb. there was way more wrong with it than just a noise. we tore into this and identified it as being in the front head. ripped it off and found debris in the cylinders. it looked like a piece of plastic had gotten into the intake and was passed around a bit. we ended up pulling the other head and same thing. the customer was there when the first head was removed so he saw first hand the debris. well after we removed the debris and installed the heads we fired it up and after a few minutes the noise came back. i questioned the tech about cleaning the intake and got the "look". the customer didn't want to go any further given the added other issues we showed him. i gave him %20 and he signed over the title. if i work on a vehicle and the patient dies i will usually discount the bill. well anyway it sat for about 6 mos and i finally got around to looking into the noise. had the valve cover off and was setting it up to tear it apart and while setting it on t.d.c it clicked. i spun the engine over again and it clicked again. i followed the noise and found it to be that the cam gear was walking on the cam. bolt was tight but somehow the key way was battered. i'm guessing that the transmission shop somehow allowed the plastic into the intake and before it was beaten flat it jammed the cam. why don't you offer the kid a few bucks and solve this one if you have any spare time during the 24 hours of day.
never argue with a fool, they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
NPASC_mike

Post by NPASC_mike »

I've thought about that, I ended up charging him list price for parts only. He knew the amount of time I had in it, my profit on the parts just about covered my time in it. I too hate to charge someone for something that I cannot stand behind. Its a neat car.... but its been beat on pretty good in the last few years. I doubt its going anywhere, If we had some highway out here where the car could be driven like it was designed to be driven.. I would probably buy it.

Appreciate everyones input earlier.
AZAUTO702

Post by AZAUTO702 »

Check the screen for the oil passage to the tensioner they get plugged with silicone and stop oiling the chain I had same problem after doing the same job
steven kiser

Post by steven kiser »

Thanks for your tip. This post is three years old now but don't let this stop you from posting. Many posts are left open and speaking for myself if I had an issue like this and went to the forum for assistance I would have ended up at a dead end, Now at least I have something more to look at, thanks.

Return to “VW / Audi”