2004 VW Beetle - 1.8L Turbo Issues

Specific repair issues for Audi & Volkswagen vehicles
lewisautorepair

2004 VW Beetle - 1.8L Turbo Issues

Post by lewisautorepair »

Hey guys, got a turbo bug, 1.8l turbo gas engine. Was towed in as a hardly running vehicle, well it wont run and the story is that the oil pressure light came on and the engine started making noise so she pulled off and her son added a quart of oil, which ive noticed hasnt been changed in a very long time by the way, and the light went off and she cobntinued to drive the car. It still had some engine noise according to the driver, and it slowly degraded to a non drivable condition or, "not running". I found about literally 15 codes in the computer, anything from cyls 1-4 misfire, 1-4 knock, cam sensor implausable signal, boost codes, ect. I think the turbo took a dump due to the lack of oil pressure but i need to tell for sure. what is the best way to do that and am i on the right track?
Last edited by lewisautorepair on Wed Dec 22, 2010 3:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
liljoe
1500 Club Master Plus Contributor
1500 Club Master Plus Contributor

Re: 04 TURBO BUG

Post by liljoe »

First place to start would be clear codes and run a min and see what comes back. Of course if you start it and hear a couple little dudes in oil pan with hammers trying to get out, it would be time to look at replacing the engine....
Working hard to prove the Green Team can do it with the best of 'em.
Always remember: AIN'T NO FREE LUNCHES!!
Am I the Only One?- I don't think I am.
The further a society retreats from the truth, the more it hates those who speak it. George Orwell.
brianp87
3K Time Lord Contributor
3K Time Lord Contributor

Post by brianp87 »

Oil sludge build up I think there is a tsb. Frr flushing the engien and replacing some parts . I think vw get 1500 + for the job. THen there is no guarentee it didn damage something. I seen it somewhere
lewisautorepair

well i did clear codes and the only thing that has come back was the cam sensor signal is implausible code. its kindof funny. if you unplug all the injectors it starts and runs briefly. but if you plug them in it will act like it wants to start but wont. it wont run on carb cleaner either. i checked engine timing and its dead on, it has injector pulse and the fuel quality is good.
steven kiser
5K Holy Smokes Contributor

Post by steven kiser »

don't you just love these. abused until they don't run and a customer that's probably to embarrassed to say three quarts and say's one. see if the injectors are powering up without breaking. i believe that they will open fully when you punch it and the turbo engages. it's controlled by the pressure switch. it defaults through the oil pressure switch. i believe if the pcm reads little or no oil pressure in the engine it will shut the engine down. with all the codes especially the knock sensor i think that they meant gallon not quart.
never argue with a fool, they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
Rich
4K Ultra Amazing Contributor
4K Ultra Amazing Contributor

Post by Rich »

Turbo Bugs are very oil picky. USE THE RIGHT OIL
Rich Hays
Work 9-11 or 616-696-0020
Being able to get CAPE off a Skew T chart is important in this hobby.
ricmorin

Re: 2004 VW Beetle - 1.8L Turbo Issues

Post by ricmorin »

Wrong oil and infrequent changes plugs these engines up bad. Pull a few cam caps and look for scoring. Engine is probably toast by now.
Ric Morin - Volunteer Forum Moderator, Shop Owner, ASE Master L1
Motorcar Alternatives, LLC
603-622-6434 x203
www.motorcaralternatives.com

I find my life is a lot easier when I use Special Orders
lewisautorepair

Yeah I did notice a few times while cranking the engine that the oil light came on and flashed, so
I made the call and told em it needed an engine. So they bailed. Thanks guys.
steven kiser

Post by steven kiser »

target practice....................................................
never argue with a fool, they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience

Return to “VW / Audi”