2003 VW Passat - Coolant & Oil Loss

Specific repair issues for Audi & Volkswagen vehicles
Tim Martin
2.5K Uber Ninja Contributor

2003 VW Passat - Coolant & Oil Loss

Post by Tim Martin »

Got this 2003 VW Passat with a 2.8L V6 which is losing coolant and oil both. Customer says he never sees any drops on the garage but has to consistently keep adding motor oil and coolant to keep things full. No engine miss, no CEl. Engine runs great. Is this a head gasket problem or something else. I am not sure where to turn on this one as there seems to be no visible evidence of loss.
ricmorin
5K Holy Smokes Contributor

Re: 2003 VW Passat - Coolant & Oil Loss

Post by ricmorin »

Head gaskets are not common on those, but the oil/coolant assembly on the oil filter housing is known for failures. Is there evidence that the two are mixing somewhere? Some oil consumption is known on higher mileage engines. My Mom's Passat eats about a quart per 1000. She's also had tons of little coolant leaks. There's a million little coolant hoses on that engine. Test the cooling system cold, keep pressure on it for an hours or so. If it's a little leak, it'll show.
Ric Morin - Volunteer Forum Moderator, Shop Owner, ASE Master L1
Motorcar Alternatives, LLC
603-622-6434 x203
www.motorcaralternatives.com

I find my life is a lot easier when I use Special Orders
steven kiser

Post by steven kiser »

some people are so anal about fluids that "constantly" adding fluid means a cup full every other week. i would check the plugs for any contamination. i can't think of any place it can loose oil and coolant from the same location. this may have to be looked at as two seprate issues. i think a bit of detective work in questioning this customer is needed. i can't even begin to put a number on how many multiple issues i've dealt with only to find that they've developed over a long period of time, one at a time, and the customer is killing all issues with one visit and symptom. i would see if there is any crud buildup on the exhaust from a liquid burning off and leaving behind a residue.
never argue with a fool, they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
crmeyers
300 Club: Superstar Contributor

Post by crmeyers »

Have had a lot of these with oil consumption issues. Volkswagen states that 1 qt of oil per 1200 miles is acceptable usage. There are several TSB's related to this in Alldata and Mitchell. I've never seen a head gasket go in one of these...not to say it's not possible, but it's not a common thing. Coolant outlet housings (plastic) like to leak on these...more like seep. WorldPac stocks them...Makes you want to go out and get you a VW doesn't it? :)
Last edited by crmeyers on Wed Feb 09, 2011 4:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Chris Meyers
Service Center Manager
Ocean Air Auto Repair
www.oceanairauto.com
Tim Martin

Post by Tim Martin »

As difficult as it is to get VW parts around here there's not a chance I'd own one. To say nothing of the price for some of the parts. You'd think it was a Volvo, Saab, or Porsche when you see the price of some parts.
crmeyers

Post by crmeyers »

Tim Martin wrote:As difficult as it is to get VW parts around here there's not a chance I'd own one. To say nothing of the price for some of the parts. You'd think it was a Volvo, Saab, or Porsche when you see the price of some parts.
Yeah, they're real proud of their parts! I try to get everything from WorldPac.
Chris Meyers
Service Center Manager
Ocean Air Auto Repair
www.oceanairauto.com
Tim Martin

Post by Tim Martin »

If only there was a good dealer close by. The way they scatter their dealers and then if the one closest to ya is a bummer makes ya want to keep yer distance. But having said that, I sure do make alot a money by working on VW and Audi vehicles. Not my favorite brand for servicing but a real money maker they are.
Tim Martin

Post by Tim Martin »

Dealer tells me that 1 quart of oil consumption per 1000 miles is normal and that they will not even diagnose an oil consumption issue of that level. I just put 3 quart in the crankcase to make it full. I am wondering if I might have an oil cooler issue on this one. Except there is no external leakage anywhere, oil or coolant on this one. Dye in the coolant shows nothing so far. I am puzzled as well as frustrated. The customer keeps calling wondering when this car will be ready for pickup.
steven kiser

Post by steven kiser »

try a synthetic. what about the coolant loss?
never argue with a fool, they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
Tim Martin

Post by Tim Martin »

Is there coolant flowing through the throttle body on this engine? It looks that way. Is it possible the coolant is leaking past the throttle body mounting gasket? Its quite a job to get this thing apart. I was hoping to get more info be4 I tear into disassembly.
Tim Martin

Post by Tim Martin »

I am back on this vehicle again. Today I got it back and as before, it is 3 quarts low of engine oil. I did find out that there is no coolant loss but regarding the oil consumption there is an issue and I think it is related to the crankcase breather system. There is tremendous vacuum when i try to remove the oil filler cap while the engine is running. I am thinking that the fresh air side is plugged or restricted for whatever reason. Is anyone familiar with the crankcase breather valve they use on this engine? This is not the PCV valve, although is does have one. It is an 03 Passat with the 2.8L V6 engine. If I remove the breather tube going to either head the vacuum inside the engine is gone.
steven kiser

Post by steven kiser »

i'm not sure if this is the vehicle but i had one that was doing the same thing and found the an air tube inside the plenum was broken. it was sucking so much air was being pulled by the crank seal.
brianp87
3K Time Lord Contributor
3K Time Lord Contributor

Post by brianp87 »

I had a turbo passat that had a cracked block that took me forever to find.

Return to “VW / Audi”