2001 Audi A6 - Fr Bumper/TB/WP Job

Specific repair issues for Audi & Volkswagen vehicles
jbadenoch
400 Club: Mega-Star Contributor
400 Club: Mega-Star Contributor

2001 Audi A6 - Fr Bumper/TB/WP Job

Post by jbadenoch »

Staring down the barrel of an 01 audi A6 2.8 Timing belt/water pump.

Have not pulled the front bumper on these before. Have heard rumors about having to get the computer factory reset after doing so?

Look forward to folks input here.
steven kiser
5K Holy Smokes Contributor

Re: 2001 Audi A6 - Fr Bumper/TB/WP Job

Post by steven kiser »

no big deal. yank it right off, radiator included. takes maybe 1/2 an hour. make sure you have the correct alignment tool to lock the cams. you can do it without one but it's sooooooooo much easier. i get a little area ready for the nose assembly, usually i set a 55 gallon steel trash can, put a 2X2 piece of plywood on it and when i pull the nose off flip it over, bumper facing up and lay it down. if it's a turbo aligning the air box may prove to be a pain but that's it. some say you don't have to pull the nose and i've seen some techs with real skinny arms that can get in there with the radiator out. i'm not one....
never argue with a fool, they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
ricmorin

Post by ricmorin »

The bumper 'cover' comes off, but the lock carrier remains. It's just moved back for easier access. By simply putting the lock carrier in the service positiion, you don't need to deal with coolant or freon.
Ric Morin - Volunteer Forum Moderator, Shop Owner, ASE Master L1
Motorcar Alternatives, LLC
603-622-6434 x203
www.motorcaralternatives.com

I find my life is a lot easier when I use Special Orders
steven kiser

Post by steven kiser »

maybe for "normal" techs but i have hands like feet and arms like legs. i remove everything because if i don't i look like i've been in a knife fight. :lol: :lol: if i can't easily seperate the a/c lines i'll gently :shock: move it after i remove the radiator. the first time i removed the nose i over complicated it. it's not that bad. personally i feel the most important issue here is protecting the nose from being damaged. i set my first one on two jack stands and then backed up into it and scratched the crap out of it when i knocked it off.
never argue with a fool, they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience

Return to “VW / Audi”