PO number sequence askew

Manager SE specific technical issues
Daniel Kreider
25 Club: Starting Contributor

PO number sequence askew

Post by Daniel Kreider »

Has anyone else noticed a strange thing happening with POs ?
It seems like the numbering system is counting down instead of up.
Does that mean that previous POs are being overwritten?
I did a test and placed an order thru the "restock from inventory" button on the PO screen and compared before and after and that time the last order had the highest PO number....
But PO numbers for orders placed this morning were a lower number than orders placed yesterday ....
Notice how the PO numbers and times are not sequential in the below clipping ...
PO screen before last order.png
PO screen before last order.png (229.49 KiB) Viewed 779 times
ricmorin
5K Holy Smokes Contributor

Re: PO number sequence askew

Post by ricmorin »

I checked my PO numbers vs my PO dates and they are both exactly sequential. Do you have more than one computer? Are the dates the same on both if you do?
Ric Morin - Volunteer Forum Moderator, Shop Owner, ASE Master L1
Motorcar Alternatives, LLC
603-622-6434 x203
www.motorcaralternatives.com

I find my life is a lot easier when I use Special Orders
Daniel Kreider

Post by Daniel Kreider »

Hi ricmorin,
Yes, same symptoms on other computers as well. Do you use PartsTech or NexPart MultiSeller ?
ricmorin

Post by ricmorin »

The symptom would be the same on all computers. My question was if the system time and date are the same on all computers. Make sure the Date and Time for each computer SYSTEM are the same.
603-622-6434 x203

ricmorin

Post by ricmorin »

Oh, and to answer your question, we use Parts Tech, FirstCall, Federated, FMP, Auto Value, ProLink, Nexpart Enhanced, Repair Link, Tire web, AC Delco Connect and WorldPac ordering protocols. I didn't like Nexpart Multi Seller.
603-622-6434 x203

Silky7
System Guru / Moderator
System Guru / Moderator

Post by Silky7 »

Daniel Kreider wrote:
Thu Jun 06, 2024 12:29 pm
Hi ricmorin,
Yes, same symptoms on other computers as well. Do you use PartsTech or NexPart MultiSeller ?
Astute as always, Mr. Kreider. That is indeed the most likely cause. Here's why: Because you can purchase from multiple vendors in a single trip out to PartsTech, we reserve and send them 10 purchase orders numbers for use during that shopping session. When you complete the session, with either purchase or not, the used numbers are assigned real values, and the others are released back for use.

The key would come in if someone else ordered from another vendor on a workstation while someone else is shopping in PT or WHI. The second station would jump forward past the reserved POs and generate their number, then you will see the previously reserved numbers used again later.

Hopefully I explained that well enough, and it hopes anyone viewing this thread understand how this could occur.
M1 Product Manager
Daniel Kreider

Post by Daniel Kreider »

I think i understand what you are explaining.

In my own words: you are reserving and then releasing the sequential PO numbers for use later on and you are not doing this to confuse us, but rather an ounce of prevention to keep from duplicating PO numbers when ordering direct inside of PT or WHI. All new POs created on our system since the first post here are now using the next highest number which tells me that all of the spare reserved numbers are now used up until the next time a coincidence of this nature occurs again.

The means to the end could be a bit confusing at first evaluation, but with this explanation, my worries have now been alleviated. Thanks !
Silky7
System Guru / Moderator
System Guru / Moderator

Post by Silky7 »

Daniel Kreider wrote:
Thu Jun 06, 2024 3:01 pm
I think i understand what you are explaining.

In my own words: you are reserving and then releasing the sequential PO numbers for use later on and you are not doing this to confuse us, but rather an ounce of prevention to keep from duplicating PO numbers when ordering direct inside of PT or WHI. All new POs created on our system since the first post here are now using the next highest number which tells me that all of the spare reserved numbers are now used up until the next time a coincidence of this nature occurs again.

The means to the end could be a bit confusing at first evaluation, but with this explanation, my worries have now been alleviated. Thanks !
You got it. :D
M1 Product Manager

Return to “Technical Issues”