History search not responding

Manager SE specific technical issues
DynaBMan
100 Club: Active Contributor

History search not responding

Post by DynaBMan »

I am currently using ShopKey 6.6.10, but the problem that prompts me to write this post has existed for several versions.

When I hit F4 and do a history search, with or without a specific vehicle, it takes forever to bring up the results. So much so that the program says "Not responding" and the history search dialog will actually disappear at times. When that happens, I can usually hit F4 again and the screen reappears, already populated with the search results.

I am using Windows 7 and have more than a considerable amount of RAM available. I purposefully purchased a computer with more than enough RAM because I can't stand a computer that drags its feet.
Larry Jackson
Greg's Too Car Care
Fort Smith, AR
ricmorin
5K Holy Smokes Contributor

Re: History search not responding

Post by ricmorin »

I haven't heard of any widespread issues in that area. Have you contacted support on this yet? Are you a multi-user? Does this happen on the host and a remote workstation?

My F4 comes up in less than 2 seconds on the host. I am running 6.6.10 on a Windows 8 machine 64 bit with a 3.1gig i5 processor with 8 gig of ram.
Ric Morin - Volunteer Forum Moderator, Shop Owner, ASE Master L1
Motorcar Alternatives, LLC
603-622-6434 x203
www.motorcaralternatives.com

I find my life is a lot easier when I use Special Orders
DynaBMan

Post by DynaBMan »

ricmorin wrote:I haven't heard of any widespread issues in that area. Have you contacted support on this yet? Are you a multi-user? Does this happen on the host and a remote workstation?

My F4 comes up in less than 2 seconds on the host. I am running 6.6.10 on a Windows 8 machine 64 bit with a 3.1gig i5 processor with 8 gig of ram.
My computer is a AMD 2.7ghz with 8 gb of ram. I operate the host station and we have one other workstation that is used. The issue seems to happen on both computers. I have not contacted support.

F4 comes up fairly quickly. When I do the search is when it bogs down.
Larry Jackson
Greg's Too Car Care
Fort Smith, AR
ricmorin

Post by ricmorin »

Ok. I missed the search part. Do you have an example of a typical search that does this?

I've tried a number of random searches and they all come up in seconds.
603-622-6434 x203

DynaBMan

Post by DynaBMan »

ricmorin wrote:Ok. I missed the search part. Do you have an example of a typical search that does this?
Well, funny that you should ask for an example. I did one earlier today that was "transmission assembly". It took forever to bring up the results. Now the doggone thing seems to be working fine. :D

Seriously, I know I haven't been imagining this. It has been one of my minor dislikes about the program for some time. One thing, I do have an extreme amount of history. Looking back at the history of one the first accounts I loaded into the system, way back about 11 years ago, the system has 70,000 plus invoices stored.
Larry Jackson
Greg's Too Car Care
Fort Smith, AR
ricmorin

Post by ricmorin »

That's a lot of invoices, but the fact that it's running ok now leads me to believe that at times, something causes the slowdown. My system goes back 12 years and I have about 40k invoices.

Personally, I'd give support a call when it's acting up so they can remote in and have a look. There's a mystery there that's begging to be solved.
603-622-6434 x203

timbre4
System Guru / Moderator
System Guru / Moderator

Re: History Search Not Responding? (Slow)

Post by timbre4 »

This is an isolated issue and the recommendation to contact support is best if it persists.
Tim McDonnell -
Sr. Product Market Mgr / Forum Moderator / Mitchell 1 Media Developer

Return to “Technical Issues”