Database Backup Destination Doesn't Hold

Manager SE specific technical issues
ricmorin
5K Holy Smokes Contributor

Re: Database Backup Destination Doesn't Hold

Post by ricmorin »

No. The backups are just moved off-site, but not worked on.
Ric Morin - Volunteer Forum Moderator, Shop Owner, ASE Master L1
Motorcar Alternatives, LLC
603-622-6434 x203
www.motorcaralternatives.com

I find my life is a lot easier when I use Special Orders
Robin at Robs

Post by Robin at Robs »

I am having a similar problem. I thought I had been backing up to my thumb drive every night. I was checking something and realized it was not going to the E driver which is what had been entered originally in the configuration for my thumb drive. It was backing up every night to my C driver. I went into configurations and changed it to E:\M1-SK. For several weeks I had to go in each night before backing up and change because it was back to C. After 2 or 3 weeks of this it has finally stayed at E but I have to pick the folder within the E drive each night. This all happened after we changed our host machine from XP to Windows 7. Any thoughts on this would be appreciated.

Thank you
Robin

Firetrucks and NASCAR rule
ricmorin

Post by ricmorin »

We have not had any more cases of this since my last posting.
603-622-6434 x203

EagleElite

Post by EagleElite »

ricmorin wrote:We have not had any more cases of this since my last posting.

So did this resolve on its own or was it assigning the drive a specific letter?

I am running the most current version 6.5.54.64.

I have also been having this problem, spoke w/ tech support who stated that had not heard of such a problem before.
They suggested to check if any antivirus might be messing with the config file, a user doing it on purpose, and also check the error log files.
I temporarily disabled the antivirus, then reboot and backup location was still in place. This worked for about a week or so. When i came back into town i tested and it had reverted back to default.
I did notice that an automatic windows update was done while i was out. The only thing I can think of is compatibility issue with windows 8.1. The machine is logged on as an admin user and the program is ran with admin rights. I set the backup to the external drive path and after several restarts it still did not revert back to default. I am neither rotating the drive or removing it, so having a reassigned drive letter is not the issue, as every time I have set the backup location it is always the same drive letter. At this point i cant figure anything else out. I was shown the location of the files which are backed up by the support tech so I may have to just implement my own backup solution. One other thing I did notice is that when the backups revert to default folder the dates of the backup coincide with the windows defender updates. Probably gonna stop the service and test further.
Silky7 wrote:Very strange. If you and Gerald would:

Open the ShopstreamXt.config file located in c:\programdata\m1-sk\ShopstreamXt. If prompted, choose to open with Notepad.
Ctrl+F or look through this file for the setting <AutoBackupPath>.
1. Let me know if that's the good one, or the old one.
2. Change it to match your desired location.
Be careful not to change anything else in this file. It can be recreated if needed, but perhaps making a copy somewhere else to start would be best.
Ive also tried this but there is no setting for <AutoBackupPath>. If you can post a screenshot of what your config file looks like i can try and place it into the same spot.

Any advisement or help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
ricmorin

Post by ricmorin »

I'm thinking that since I've assigned the same drive letter to both thumbs, the need to change the path is gone and therefore the condition which initiates the error is gone.
603-622-6434 x203

Return to “Technical Issues”