Can't Overide EST Hours On Schedule?

Manager SE specific technical issues
latkauto1

Can't Overide EST Hours On Schedule?

Post by latkauto1 »

I just recently updated to 6.5.54 & noticed I can no longer override the scheduled time in the scheduler once an estimate has been started. It always defaults to the hours on the estimate. For example if I have an estimate that has 8 hours on it, but we already did some of the repairs and transfer the remainder, it shows up as 8 hours on the schedule and cannot be changed. We have 3 different people here that schedule work and we use the estimated hours to figure out how much room is left on the schedule each day. We also sometimes try to leave a little extra time for certain jobs that you know may take longer, or for possible upsells. Is there a way to change this setting?
ricmorin
5K Holy Smokes Contributor

Re: Cannot overide hours on scheduler

Post by ricmorin »

If you need to plan for extra time, we have a canned job called 'extra' that accounts for this.

On jobs that carry over, we keep the original job on the original day and make a new manual entry for the carry-over.
Ric Morin - Volunteer Forum Moderator, Shop Owner, ASE Master L1
Motorcar Alternatives, LLC
603-622-6434 x203
www.motorcaralternatives.com

I find my life is a lot easier when I use Special Orders
latkauto1

Post by latkauto1 »

Thanks, I appreciate the input. I realize that there are ways to work around it. But it was something it did not do before the update. The scheduling has worked well for us the way it was for years. I was looking to see if there was a way to put it back that way.
timbre4
System Guru / Moderator
System Guru / Moderator

Post by timbre4 »

It would be my understanding that this was changed to prevent errors; once the estimate becomes an active order, its' time cannot be changed unless changes occur to its actual schedule labor times.

If the real concern is load balancing the day, please take a look at what's in this Knowledgebase article:
Expert's Schedule Advice for Manager
https://kb.mitchell1.com/articles/id-155
Open this >>>> experts_using_schedule_2011.pdf
Tim McDonnell -
Sr. Product Market Mgr / Forum Moderator / Mitchell 1 Media Developer
latkauto1

Re: Can't Overide EST Hours On Schedule?

Post by latkauto1 »

This is when it is even still in estimate form. Before anytime you changed the estimate it would change on the schedule, but you could always override it by putting in your own estimated time. In my case this new version will probably cause more errors with 3 people scheduling. I will check out the article you pointed out. Thanks!! Any help would be appreciated.
** PS: I just did check out the article you pointed out, no real solution there. I realize there are ways of working around this, but that would create extra steps, extra schedule entries & more possibility of mistakes, thus taking the simplicity out of the program.
latkauto1

Post by latkauto1 »

Any word if there are any plans to fix this or put it back the way it used to be in any future updates? I'm trying my best to work around it, but with 3 people scheduling it is really becoming an annoyance. Thanks!!
ricmorin

Post by ricmorin »

I'm running the same version and I can change the time on the schedule and it sticks. Please describe in detail how you are changing the time and when it reverts.
603-622-6434 x203

latkauto1

Post by latkauto1 »

Once I make an estimate, work order or invoice If I change the time on the schedule it reverts to the actual time on the estimate as soon as I close it. Maybe there is a glitch in my program as opposed to yours?? It never did that until the last update. For example you have a job where you did 5 of 6 hours worth of work one day and transferred the remainder onto the next day you can't change it to one hour allotted time on the schedule it stays at 6 hours. It wouldn't be too bad except we have 3 people that schedule work, one of them is my wife that basically just does the book work and handles the overflow of phone calls. If someone calls for an appointment she relies on glancing at the time to see if there is room to schedule them. Thanks for answering, Hopefully there is a solution?
ricmorin

Post by ricmorin »

I have 6.5.57 and I can change a time on the Scheduler, close it, reopen and it sticks. I even shut down the workstation and restarted and it stuck. I opened the Scheduler from another workstation and the new time displayed there too.

In regards to leftover work, we prefer to create a manual entry onto the next day instead of messing with the original order in this fashion. That may be a more viable option for you.
603-622-6434 x203

latkauto1

Post by latkauto1 »

Thanks for getting back to me. That is the way mine used to work until I did the last update. Like I said, maybe there was a glitch in my update and it will correct itself in the next one? Do you know if there is any way to redo the update?
latkauto1

Post by latkauto1 »

Hey, I just noticed you said you have version 6.5.57. I am running 6.5.54. Is there an update I missed? I am also on windows 7 if that makes any difference as maybe opposed to windows 8?
ricmorin

Post by ricmorin »

You didn't miss one. They stagger the releases to ease the load on support.

It shouldn't matter regarding the OS version.

Your condition doesn't sound like a faulty install. I think I'd wait for 6.5.57 and see what happens.

I can't confirm or deny that version 6.5.54 behaved this way as we don't regularly modify the hours.

In Setup>Shop Data>Default Settings there is a check box next to Update Labor Time from Total. Is it checked? If it is, try unchecking and try again. (note: mine is checked and I don't have this behavior, but I'm on a different version)
603-622-6434 x203

latkauto1

Post by latkauto1 »

Mine was not checked. I checked it and it still does the same thing. But it only may affect new work orders done after the change? I'll see what happens in the next couple days and let you know. Thanks again!!
Silky7
System Guru / Moderator
System Guru / Moderator

Post by Silky7 »

I think you're referring to the fact that you're updating the estimate itself with additional or modified labor times, right? It's supposed to update the schedule time accordingly. When the estimate is not modified, the time set in the Schedule should remain.
M1 Product Manager
ricmorin

Post by ricmorin »

That checkbox should update the schedule when the order is changed with new labor items. The OP is manually changing the hours in the Scheduler. My theory was perhaps that setting was forcing the labor back at close, although that is not the case with my version.
603-622-6434 x203

ricmorin

Post by ricmorin »

How do you schedule hours into the scheduler pre-appointment? Do you make a manual entry or start an estimate? Something is not adding up here.
603-622-6434 x203

latkauto1

Post by latkauto1 »

I schedule appointments in the scheduler & usually do not start an estimate until the vehicle arrives. Unless an estimate was given out previously, then I just transfer the estimate to the scheduler. It did not help checking that box. I think there is just some sort of glitch with my version. I've been using the scheduler the same way for years & never had an issue until the last update. So I guess I'll just put up with it until the next update. Thanks for all your help, it is appreciated.

Return to “Technical Issues”