Windows 10?

Manager SE specific technical issues
MattFMN
25 Club: Starting Contributor

Windows 10?

Post by MattFMN »

I may have looked right passed where someone has addressed this, that or I've started this topic in a poor area. I apologize for both.

I'm seeing the option to upgrade to Windows 10, on my Windows 7 machines, for FREE! That's right, Free.

But, that's beside the point. The question is...should I? Will Mitchell SE be ready to work with it?

Thanks, Matt.
timbre4
System Guru / Moderator
System Guru / Moderator

Re: Windows 10?

Post by timbre4 »

Yes, many folks are seeing the prompt for a free Windows 10 BETA now. The short answer is to wait; it is my understanding that the free upgrade will be available for one year.

We are aiming to be out in front of this one and our preliminary testing was quite favorable overall; a few small things to tidy up. Just keep in mind that other programs and utilities on the PC may not be in quite the same state of readiness. We'll have more to post as it becomes available.
Tim McDonnell -
Sr. Product Market Mgr / Forum Moderator / Mitchell 1 Media Developer
quinn49

Post by quinn49 »

Also keep in mind if you install Windows 10 it is free for one year, after the year you will have to pay a yearly fee for each machine.
Silky7
System Guru / Moderator
System Guru / Moderator

Post by Silky7 »

quinn49 wrote:Also keep in mind if you install Windows 10 it is free for one year, after the year you will have to pay a yearly fee for each machine.
Would you mind citing your source for this? I hadn't heard of change in the original plan, which waives the fee for upgrades. http://www.winbeta.org/news/microsoft-w ... -upgraders
M1 Product Manager
Johnny5
500 Club: Champion Contributor

Post by Johnny5 »

Should I Update Now or Wait?

The biggest computer news this summer is likely the new Windows 10 operating system. This update will be available FREE on July 29th for all Windows 7 & 8 users. Yes, a FREE upgrade from Microsoft. Mitchell 1 has quietly been testing all of our applications performance with Windows 10 and are pleased to report that, for the most part, we found no show stopper issues.

I can’t wait to sink my teeth into a new version of Windows; experiencing what’s new, what’s cool, seeing how it’s going to help me do my job better. However, there is also an inner voice that compels me to proceed with great caution, as there are some applications I simply cannot live without for any length of time. Microsoft isn’t simply introducing a new version of Windows, it’s a complex Operating System (OS) change - it’s a big change with lots of new functionality and ‘replacement parts’. Microsoft is making some major changes that could affect us all.

CAUTION: Some programs that are found to operate fine under Windows 10 would present a real problem if you had to re-install. For example Manager 5.9 software will not install on Win 10 and that could force some decisions.

Mitchell 1’s advice is to be patient. Microsoft will be offering this free update to WIN 7 & 8; to take advantage of this free offer, you must upgrade to Windows 10 within one year of availability. [ https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/features ] Think of Windows 10 as an entirely new model; he first model year of a brand new vehicle, it’s going to have some bugs and “room for improvement”. Let the dust settle first; watch what the technical media says and observe others’ experience.

In summary however, the best upgrade available for repair shops may not be Windows 10, but rather the FREE upgrade to Manager SE with advanced features if still using Manager 5.9. That’s a move I can recommend right now without any reservations.

JD
John Dwulet AKA: Johnny5
Retired - Mitchell1
Rich
4K Ultra Amazing Contributor
4K Ultra Amazing Contributor

Post by Rich »

Yah know what i like about windows? Smashing them with a pike pole. Other than that......Why can't someone build a platform as solid as my Xbox, or PS4??
Rich Hays
Work 9-11 or 616-696-0020
Being able to get CAPE off a Skew T chart is important in this hobby.
Johnny5

Post by Johnny5 »

Interesting viewpoint of Windows 10. http://www.computerworld.com/article/29 ... ckers.html
John Dwulet AKA: Johnny5
Retired - Mitchell1
Sauvageaus
300 Club: Superstar Contributor

Post by Sauvageaus »

Rich wrote:Yah know what i like about windows? Smashing them with a pike pole. Other than that......Why can't someone build a platform as solid as my Xbox, or PS4??
this!!!!!
Sauvageaus

Post by Sauvageaus »

Has anyone been using Windows 10 for Mitchell1 any issues? pros/cons?

I'm using windows 7 now, not a big fan of windows 8.
SKLINE17
25 Club: Starting Contributor

Post by SKLINE17 »

I have been using windows 10 for a few months now and have not had any issues. To me it was worth upgrading.
Sauvageaus

Post by Sauvageaus »

SKLINE17 wrote:I have been using windows 10 for a few months now and have not had any issues. To me it was worth upgrading.
I was going to consider doing the update to 10, but our version of Quickbooks does not work with Windows 10
rhillig

Post by rhillig »

Johnny5 wrote:Interesting viewpoint of Windows 10. http://www.computerworld.com/article/29 ... ckers.html

What is your thoughts on Windows 10 now JD? Worth doing or still wait & see?
A year from now you will wish you had started TODAY ~ Karen Lamb
timbre4
System Guru / Moderator
System Guru / Moderator

Post by timbre4 »

If I may...

That was last July and early on in the Windows 10 cycle; it's come a long way since then.

I'm not hearing of any serious issues with Windows 10 for Manager SE, just the programs I use to edit audio and video! So I will personally wait to upgrade the production PC here from Windows 7 to Windows 10 until after major projects are completed. The free upgrade is valid until July 2016 so it can only get better. :idea:
Tim McDonnell -
rhillig

Post by rhillig »

Thanks Tim!

I just wanted to check and see if any other major glitches. Getting sick of seeing the notices every day.

I have upgraded laptops & my home pc to 10 and so far no problems....other than my old (ie 1999) monitor at home graphics are not very good.
A year from now you will wish you had started TODAY ~ Karen Lamb
Sauvageaus

Post by Sauvageaus »

timbre4 wrote:If I may...

That was last July and early on in the Windows 10 cycle; it's come a long way since then.

I'm not hearing of any serious issues with Windows 10 for Manager SE, just the programs I use to edit audio and video! So I will personally wait to upgrade the production PC here from Windows 7 to Windows 10 until after major projects are completed. The free upgrade is valid until July 2016 so it can only get better. :idea:
My problem is the version of Quickbooks we have does not work with Windows 10 yet
sbebenelli
750 Club: World Class Contributor

Post by sbebenelli »

We have had no problems with Windows 10 related to Manager SE
KJGETT

Post by KJGETT »

sbebenelli wrote:We have had no problems with Windows 10 related to Manager SE
Did you upgrade to windows 10 or install Manager on an existing W10 machine? Trying to figure out the best way to upgrade to both SE and W10 from W7 and Manager 5.9
sbebenelli

Post by sbebenelli »

KJGETT wrote:
Did you upgrade to windows 10 or install Manager on an existing W10 machine? Trying to figure out the best way to upgrade to both SE and W10 from W7 and Manager 5.9
We have a host and one work station. Both computers were upgraded a couple months ago and had Windows 10 on them already.
timbre4
System Guru / Moderator
System Guru / Moderator

Post by timbre4 »

KJGETT wrote:
Welcome to the forum and thanks for posting.

Because you also have a migration from Manager 5.9 to SE to consider, I'd consult with tech support as to the best sequence to move forward with both the operating system and Manager upgrades.
Tim McDonnell -
KJGETT

Post by KJGETT »

Thank you I guess I had better call Mitchell to see if I should upgrade to SE or W10 first

Return to “Technical Issues”