' (single quotation mark) Character Not Allowed?

Manager SE specific technical issues
M_Int
50 Club: Regular Contributor

' (single quotation mark) Character Not Allowed?

Post by M_Int »

For some reason we can’t use a single ‘ mark in the Inventory part description box....ie ’95 Volkswagen Golf.

We asked our sales rep and he said "For whatever reason, I’ve always been told that the program disregards “Special Characters” and there is a utility to REMOVE special characters from the database records. I don’t know why. I think it has to do with programming code functions and search descriptions???"

So I played around a bit. What’s odd is that I can’t type ‘ , but I can type other special characters such as “ or : or ; or !. So it seems Manager only omitted ‘ .

Anyone know why this is, and how we can get our ' 's back? :)
Thanks!
Johnny5
500 Club: Champion Contributor

Re: ' character not allowed in Inventory description

Post by Johnny5 »

M_Int wrote:For some reason we can’t use a single ‘ mark in the Inventory part description box....ie ’95 Volkswagen Golf.

Anyone know why this is, and how we can get our ' 's back? :)
Thanks!
The Inventory dialog was programmed specifically to not allow the use of a single quote, it has the potential to interfere with SQL database queries. Below is an example query, non text values are typically enclosed with single quotes. The statement basically says, select from all records from the table SUPPLIERS, where the record SUPPLIER_NAME = IBM, Hewlett Packard or Microsoft. If the single quote were not present the statement would not function. Because the single quotes are present, the query knows these are text values, not numbers.

SELECT *
FROM suppliers
WHERE supplier_name = 'IBM'
OR supplier_name = 'Hewlett Packard'
OR supplier_name = 'Microsoft';
John Dwulet AKA: Johnny5
Retired - Mitchell1
M_Int

Re: ' character not allowed in Inventory description

Post by M_Int »

Ok, makes sense, thanks.
evaedler

Re: ' (single quotation mark) Character Not Allowed?

Post by evaedler »

We have also had problems with the " sign in the PO system but it is only for one specific vendor. When we are trying to enter an inventory item that is say 4 inches and we try to enter it as 4" it actually creates an error and the shuts Mitchell down. I've spoken with Mitchell about it and they did not know why it is doing that. They were going to send to the QA team to try and get an answer and get back to me. That was last week and no word as of yet.
Johnny5

Post by Johnny5 »

I find in version 6.6.x I can enter and store a double quote “ in the part number, description and size field.
John Dwulet AKA: Johnny5
Retired - Mitchell1
Silky7
System Guru / Moderator
System Guru / Moderator

Post by Silky7 »

evaedler wrote:We have also had problems with the " sign in the PO system but it is only for one specific vendor. When we are trying to enter an inventory item that is say 4 inches and we try to enter it as 4" it actually creates an error and the shuts Mitchell down. I've spoken with Mitchell about it and they did not know why it is doing that. They were going to send to the QA team to try and get an answer and get back to me. That was last week and no word as of yet.
Eva,

I've reviewed the recording from your call on 7/27 and also checked your database. It doesn't appear as though the " mark was the issue, but rather the single quote used for feet. If you try to enter a single quote when directly creating an inventory record, you will find it is blocked. This area simply doesn't have the same restriction mechanism.

Also, if you happen to recall, could you PM me which technician/when you were told the QA team would be examining the issue?
M1 Product Manager

Return to “Technical Issues”