Back Up Monitor Aplication

Manager SE specific technical issues
motley06
300 Club: Superstar Contributor

Back Up Monitor Aplication

Post by motley06 »

Noticed this morning that I have a red circle with a white X in the middle in my task bar. Called tech support and they clicked around and said it must be my firewall blocking that application at night. Told me I needed to get an IT guy to fix it. I thought that's who I was talking to? He said ports 8081 and 8085 must be blocked. Does anyone have any advice/tips/tricks?
timbre4
System Guru / Moderator
System Guru / Moderator

Re: Back Up Monitor Aplication

Post by timbre4 »

The IT person is on your end; the support agent handles the software but not configuration settings on your own network. We have rules about what they can touch.
Tim McDonnell -
Sr. Product Market Mgr / Forum Moderator / Mitchell 1 Media Developer
motley06

Post by motley06 »

Thanks... So since I am the IT guy essentially, does anyone have any recommendations that may have seen this problem before or can recommend how to find and choose an IT guy?
ricmorin
5K Holy Smokes Contributor
5K Holy Smokes Contributor

Post by ricmorin »

You need to tell Windows Firewall that the app is ok. What OS are you using?

In Windows 7, you navigate to Control Panel>System and Security>Windows Firewall>Allow a Program Through Windows Firewall. There you will see a list if programs and if they are allowed or not. Make sure all the M1-SK apps are allowed. Also, those ports should be listed as IN_UPDATER_PORT_TCP8081 and 8085. Those should be allowed as well.
Ric Morin - Volunteer Forum Moderator, Shop Owner, ASE Master L1
Motorcar Alternatives, LLC
603-622-6434 x203
www.motorcaralternatives.com

I find my life is a lot easier when I use Special Orders
motley06

Post by motley06 »

Thanks Ric, I'll give that a shot later today and see what I can come up with. I do find it a little strange that this started happening, but I haven't changed any settings (knowingly) the last couple of weeks.
Silky7
System Guru / Moderator
System Guru / Moderator

Post by Silky7 »

I do show a backup for you from 2/17, so I'd imagine you're seeing the system indicates it's backed up now?
M1 Product Manager
motley06

Post by motley06 »

Dang Silky7, you're the man! It does show a green circle with a white check mark now. Weird though, since I didn't change anything yesterday or today. Either way, thanks for all the input. Kudos to Silky7!
Silky7
System Guru / Moderator
System Guru / Moderator

Post by Silky7 »

Ha ha, thanks, but I didn't do anything. You actually backed up about half an hour after your call to us. But you did have a six day gap between the 11th and 17th. The simplest thing to do if you see this again is to just reboot the host machine and check again the next day. Always keep your local backups as well.

We'll have a new offsite backup system available in the near future.
M1 Product Manager
motley06

Post by motley06 »

So I have the same issue happening again and curious if anyone is using Windows 10 and might have a work around? Not sure what I did last time to get it working, but I'll poke around in the firewall settings in the meantime. FYI, I have not aftermarket/3rd party anti-virus installed.
Silky7
System Guru / Moderator
System Guru / Moderator

Post by Silky7 »

We're working on an update for the DPR application as well. Some Windows 10 users (and could apply in your case) are experiencing a failure to start the application when the computer boots up. If you'd be interested in piloting the new version prior to release, let me know.
M1 Product Manager
motley06

Post by motley06 »

Certainly Silky. I've looked in all the firewall options and every possible Mitchell app has the green check mark for inbound and outbound communication, but perhaps the backup application is not grouped with the other Mitchell apps. My only other thought is to try to completely turn off the firewall and see if that makes a difference?
Silky7
System Guru / Moderator
System Guru / Moderator

Post by Silky7 »

As long as you've backed up before — which you have — the firewall shouldn't be a concern, unless it's changed. We'll take a look at the potential failure points when we get you the new version. :wink:
M1 Product Manager
mastertechauto
25 Club: Starting Contributor

Post by mastertechauto »

I'm having the same issue since my PC updated to Windows 10. Any known fix for this yet?
Mark Spezia
Mastertech Auto Service
Silky7
System Guru / Moderator
System Guru / Moderator

Post by Silky7 »

Yes, there is a new version of the DPR software that should run more reliably with Windows 10. You can download it here http://www.m1faqs.com/fix/Mitchell1_DPR_Setup.exe

Simply run that file once downloaded. It will remove the old version and install the new one.
M1 Product Manager
motley06

Re: Back Up Monitor Application

Post by motley06 »

Just to follow up, I downloaded the fix and so far the system seems to be working as designed.

Return to “Technical Issues”