Update

Manager SE specific technical issues
nickscarcare
750 Club: World Class Contributor

Update

Post by nickscarcare »

Trying to download to the 7.3 update, keeps telling me it can not download, check internet connection. Well obviously I have connection. I suppose this is a techline call.
Some people try to turn back their odometers. Not me, I want people to know why I look this way. I've traveled a long way, and some of the roads weren't paved.

507-345-6425
http://www.nickscarcare.com
ricmorin
5K Holy Smokes Contributor

Re: Update

Post by ricmorin »

Yes.
Ric Morin - Volunteer Forum Moderator, Shop Owner, ASE Master L1
Motorcar Alternatives, LLC
603-622-6434 x203
www.motorcaralternatives.com

I find my life is a lot easier when I use Special Orders
Gary R
100 Club: Active Contributor
100 Club: Active Contributor

Post by Gary R »

Does this update effect users running Windows 7?
Gary Radtke
Service Manager
Clavey Auto Service
http://www.claveyauto.com
Silky7
System Guru / Moderator
System Guru / Moderator

Post by Silky7 »

All,

The problem is with Microsoft's new .NET framework update. While it included in the Windows 10 April 2018, it is unknown when they will begin release to Windows 7 and 8 users. However it is quite likely they will in May.

Due to the unknown factors in this equation, the simple answer is everyone needs to update if you want insurance against being completely locked out of Manager.
M1 Product Manager
Rich
4K Ultra Amazing Contributor

Post by Rich »

Side note: it took our Host 50 minutes to run update.
Rich Hays
Work 9-11 or 616-696-0020
Being able to get CAPE off a Skew T chart is important in this hobby.
Silky7
System Guru / Moderator
System Guru / Moderator

Post by Silky7 »

Yes, apologies Rich. We have taxed every bit our resources to try to get the update out to as many people in possible in a very short time frame. Downloads are going slower than we'd like.

As many of you long-term users know, we usually send updates out at a metered rate over several weeks. This time we're trying to update everyone in 6 days. :shock:

Thank you all for your patience and understanding during this event. Believe me when I say that we too wish we were never forced into this kind of rushed pace for updates. :|
M1 Product Manager
ricmorin

Post by ricmorin »

15 minutes to download and 5 minutes to update host. Not bad.
Ric Morin - Volunteer Forum Moderator, Shop Owner, ASE Master L1
Motorcar Alternatives, LLC
603-622-6434 x203
www.motorcaralternatives.com

I find my life is a lot easier when I use Special Orders
Rich

Post by Rich »

Silky7 wrote:Yes, apologies Rich. We have taxed every bit our resources to try to get the update out to as many people in possible in a very short time frame. Downloads are going slower than we'd like.

As many of you long-term users know, we usually send updates out at a metered rate over several weeks. This time we're trying to update everyone in 6 days. :shock:

Thank you all for your patience and understanding during this event. Believe me when I say that we too wish we were never forced into this kind of rushed pace for updates. :|
I'm not complaining!! Just wanted folks to know. I was going to do it "quick" between phone calls. Just didn't want any one else to try my bone head ideas! :wink:
Rich Hays
Work 9-11 or 616-696-0020
Being able to get CAPE off a Skew T chart is important in this hobby.
nickscarcare

Post by nickscarcare »

I tried again this morning before I called tech, and it worked, took about 30 to 45 minutes each on both machines.
Some people try to turn back their odometers. Not me, I want people to know why I look this way. I've traveled a long way, and some of the roads weren't paved.

507-345-6425
http://www.nickscarcare.com
GUTHTIRE
400 Club: Mega-Star Contributor
400 Club: Mega-Star Contributor

Post by GUTHTIRE »

Struggled a bit with this update time-wise. One of the client PC's even timed out at about 3/4 of the way thru the download...luckily it restarted where it left off.

Is there a technical reason why when you update the Host that the update is not saved for the clients to update from it thereby allowing the client PC's to update over the LAN without going over the Internet?
Dan
Silky7
System Guru / Moderator
System Guru / Moderator

Post by Silky7 »

GUTHTIRE wrote:Struggled a bit with this update time-wise. One of the client PC's even timed out at about 3/4 of the way thru the download...luckily it restarted where it left off.

Is there a technical reason why when you update the Host that the update is not saved for the clients to update from it thereby allowing the client PC's to update over the LAN without going over the Internet?
Yes, there is actually. Our Updater software is designed to distribute from your host to your workstations using WCF calls in your LAN. Unfortunately as we've discovered over the years, this distribution method doesn't always work. Additionally, to use the Updater mechanism, we have to specify your account is eligible. This direct update mechanism was put in place for those of you that would like to get the updates yourself, and to allow you to update a workstation that couldn't get it in the LAN due to the WCF failing. It was never intended as the primary mechanism, but it can serve out more updates in a short period of time than our normal Updater. Due to the very short notice on the Windows update, we wanted to go as fast as we could to everyone, and used this "secondary" update process as the primary method.

Hope that helps. :)
M1 Product Manager

Return to “Technical Issues”