Mitchell Compatibility with new PC

Manager SE specific technical issues
allan_fee

Mitchell Compatibility with new PC

Post by allan_fee »

Forum,

I am having a problem with Mitchell failing to work with a new PC. The PC was built by my local support admin company. I had the PC specd to gamer standards. Super fast everything, 32Meg of RAM, etc. The hard drive is a Samsung SSD 860 EVO 500GB. This is where the compatibility seems to be the problem.

Here is the history, I will try to be brief.

New PC set was installed and all necessary day to day software was installed including Mitchell. Everything was fine for about a month. Then all of the sudden, Mitchell program could not find the database. After lengthy discussion with tech support, (they were GREAT!), we determined the hard drive had failed. Very strange for a SSD to fail but we proceeded to replace the drive the with the exact same model. After install and set up, all was good again.

Fast forward three more weeks. Up to that point, all was good. Then again, Mitchell could not find the database. I was a different error this time, NTSF. I do not remember the first error but tech support may have it in their notes.

So the question is, what could be causing this problem? We do not think it is Mitchell but hopefully someone in tech support can help.

We are not currently using the new PC. We set up one of the workstations as a temporary host.

Could someone from upper level tech support reach out to me Monday to discuss? That would be greatly apppreciated.

Allan, 810-730-8600
timbre4
System Guru / Moderator
System Guru / Moderator

Re: Mitchell Compatibility with new PC

Post by timbre4 »

Allan,

Sorry to hear of your difficulties with this machine. It would be best if you were to call into tech support ASAP Monday morning as 1) This type of troubleshooting is likely beyond the scope of the forum and 2) support has found it difficult to reach the party in the shop that they need to talk to, which only lengthens the wait for resolution. Your best bet is calling into support as the shortest distance to getting squared away.

EDIT: It's NTFS (new technology file system) and that's how your hard drive is formatted.
Tim McDonnell -
Sr. Product Market Mgr / Forum Moderator / Mitchell 1 Media Developer
Johnny5
500 Club: Champion Contributor
500 Club: Champion Contributor

Post by Johnny5 »

Scary, but google "windows 10 ssd failure"
John Dwulet AKA: Johnny5
Retired - Mitchell1
Silky7
System Guru / Moderator
System Guru / Moderator

Post by Silky7 »

You are correct that it's unusual to have a drive issue so early. What's more, if you're getting NTFS errors again (the drive), perhaps it's an issue with the controller on the system board and not necessarily the drive. It certainly sounds to me like you might have some hardware issues to sort out before our support can really be of assistance.

I'd recommend contacting support for the OEM or whoever built it for some diagnostics.
M1 Product Manager
allan_fee

Post by allan_fee »

Johnny5 wrote:Scary, but google "windows 10 ssd failure"
John,

Do you recommend going to an optical drive instead?

I was trying to build a fast reliable machine but if an SSD is problematic, I can give up some speed to cure this concern.

Thanks!

I do, they have to be configured correctly with appropriate hardware. I have an SSD in my laptop and it screams.
BenjaminPeterson
50 Club: Regular Contributor
50 Club: Regular Contributor

Post by BenjaminPeterson »

Where are you buying the drives from. I have about 10 of those drives and have not had any issues with them yet. Most failures actually happen in the first couple of months of the 50 or so failures I had. Samsung Pro is still the top brand for ssd. For hard drives I would stick with western digital black edition also stick with for HDD 1TB, 2TB or 4TB. I wouldn't get any of the odd numbers of 3TB and 6TB they have the higher failure rate. Just saw your from Michigan go out to Micro Center in Madison Heights for any main hardware you need save you a bunch over the box stores.
Silky7
System Guru / Moderator
System Guru / Moderator

Post by Silky7 »

BenjaminPeterson wrote:Where are you buying the drives from. I have about 10 of those drives and have not had any issues with them yet. Most failures actually happen in the first couple of months of the 50 or so failures I had. Samsung Pro is still the top brand for ssd. For hard drives I would stick with western digital black edition also stick with for HDD 1TB, 2TB or 4TB. I wouldn't get any of the odd numbers of 3TB and 6TB they have the higher failure rate. Just saw your from Michigan go out to Micro Center in Madison Heights for any main hardware you need save you a bunch over the box stores.
I second this, and would highly recommend you stay with a SSD. The performance trade-off is not worth going back to spinning disk. As I alluded to, I think you may have a problem in the hardware (or hopefully just configuration) that isn't necessarily the drive itself. Would be very rare to get two short-lived Samsung drives.
M1 Product Manager

Return to “Technical Issues”