ShopKey5 Service Writer V5.9.0.6 and Windows 10

Manager SE specific technical issues
FLWERLEYINC

ShopKey5 Service Writer V5.9.0.6 and Windows 10

Post by FLWERLEYINC »

Good Afternoon everyone,

I am the onsite desk side support for the shop that I work at. I am currently planning out our upgrade to Windows 10. One thing I have not been able to find an answer on is weather or not ShopKey 5 Version 5.9.0.6 will work on Windows 10. Does anyone know if it will? I need to find out so that I can go back to my management staff and let them know where we need to go from here. Any insight anyone can give me would be greatly appreciated as I already know that our version of ShopKey is that old customer support will not even address any issues I might have.

Respectfully,
James D. Williams
Information Technology
Onsite Desk Side Support
Francis L. Werley, Inc.
Silky7
System Guru / Moderator
System Guru / Moderator

Re: ShopKey5 Service Writer V5.9.0.6 and Windows 10

Post by Silky7 »

What you've probably already gleaned from support, but I'll re-iterate just in the event you did not: A successful upgrade to Windows 10 should work out. The 5.9.x version of the application tends to run on Windows 10 with no known issues.

The major caveat: Re-installing the application on Windows 10 is not an option. With the number of potential pitfalls, it is certainly not something I would recommend.
M1 Product Manager
FLWERLEYINC

Post by FLWERLEYINC »

Silky7 wrote:What you've probably already gleaned from support, but I'll re-iterate just in the event you did not: A successful upgrade to Windows 10 should work out. The 5.9.x version of the application tends to run on Windows 10 with no known issues.

The major caveat: Re-installing the application on Windows 10 is not an option. With the number of potential pitfalls, it is certainly not something I would recommend.
Good Morning,

Why can't I do a fresh install of ShopKey? If this is really the case, then we have an issue. The computers are not going to be upgraded from windows 7. I will be doing a fresh install of Windows 10, Setting up all the software and appropriate drive mapping, then making a master image of the system to replicate out to the other computers. This is why I needed to know if ShopKey was compatible with Windows 10.

Respectfully,
James D. Williams
Information Technology
Onsite Desk Side Support
Francis L. Werley, Inc.
Silky7
System Guru / Moderator
System Guru / Moderator

Post by Silky7 »

It was certainly wise of you to ask. The reason you can't re-install is fairly simple. The 5.x version at its core is over 20 years old. It is actually installed using a floppy key diskette. Windows 7 was the last version of Windows that could still make use of our supported virtual floppy.

Perhaps this is a good time for your customer (the shop) to consider getting current on the Shopkey Service Writer program as well as the operating system. :)
M1 Product Manager
FLWERLEYINC

Post by FLWERLEYINC »

Silky7 wrote:It was certainly wise of you to ask. The reason you can't re-install is fairly simple. The 5.x version at its core is over 20 years old. It is actually installed using a floppy key diskette. Windows 7 was the last version of Windows that could still make use of our supported virtual floppy.

Perhaps this is a good time for your customer (the shop) to consider getting current on the Shopkey Service Writer program as well as the operating system. :)
Good Afternoon,

If the floppy drive is the only limitation then I have a way around that. I have a USB floppy disk drive for such events. I know it works on windows 10 because I have used the drive on my personal laptops.

I do however feel it would pay the company to upgrade the software. Unfortunately those decisions are out of my control.

Respectfully,
James D. Williams
Information Technology
Onsite Desk Side Support
Francis L. Werley, Inc.
Silky7
System Guru / Moderator
System Guru / Moderator

Post by Silky7 »

One last important facet to consider: You may have the drive, but the media — most floppy media corrupts with age, and we no longer offer replacements. That would certainly be something to check before assuming you can proceed.
M1 Product Manager

Return to “Technical Issues”