Notes Not Printing on Revisions?

Manager SE specific technical issues
Jimmy@DGB
25 Club: Starting Contributor

Notes Not Printing on Revisions?

Post by Jimmy@DGB »

Not sure if this is a technical issue or an enhancement request, as I'm not 100% sure how this was designed to work in the first place.... But we can't get the notes field to print on our estimates when they're a Revision even when "Print on Order" is checked. The revision has to be sold before the notes field will show up on the hard copy, and that's kind of a hassle. It's possible I'm missing something though.
timbre4
System Guru / Moderator
System Guru / Moderator

Re: Notes Not Printing on Revisions?

Post by timbre4 »

Revisions section is not live business so they would not print until transferred to Order screen as part of a live EST/RO/INV..
Tim McDonnell -
Sr. Product Market Mgr / Forum Moderator / Mitchell 1 Media Developer
Jimmy@DGB

Post by Jimmy@DGB »

In that case I would like to make this an official enhancement request :D
timbre4
System Guru / Moderator
System Guru / Moderator

Post by timbre4 »

Jimmy@DGB wrote:In that case I would like to make this an official enhancement request :D
Not likely; flies in the face of the business rules (Revisions are not part of the live business architecture).

Why would the Note not be presented from the Order screen? Could it be in Vehicle Memo?
Tim McDonnell -
Jimmy@DGB

Post by Jimmy@DGB »

timbre4 wrote:
Jimmy@DGB wrote:In that case I would like to make this an official enhancement request :D
Not likely; flies in the face of the business rules (Revisions are not part of the live business architecture).

Why would the Note not be presented from the Order screen? Could it be in Vehicle Memo?
A main function of Revisions is to price out future jobs, correct? Why on earth would we not be able to include a Note line on a hard copy to present the customer with? Seems silly to limit that functionality.

EDIT: I realize this "issue" may not be intentional, but maybe it's just a limitation of the code? Sorry if it came out wrong. We include notes such as special warranty info about a specific job, future services we include with tire packages, etc. This would otherwise have to be written in a labor or sublet line so that it prints out. Some of these notes are part of a canned job. It would seem logical that this Note thing would function just as the live business part does.
Last edited by Jimmy@DGB on Fri Dec 06, 2019 12:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
brianp87
3K Time Lord Contributor
3K Time Lord Contributor

Post by brianp87 »

I agree with the notes being on revisions but with a box to check for use. So when giving the customer the estimate it shows up on there copy. Examples are notes like: Vehicle has excess rust may need additional time or labor. Will not know what parts and or labor is needed until the vehicle is disassembled. Need to repair this known issue first before further diagnosis. So on and so on.
Jimmy@DGB

Post by Jimmy@DGB »

brianp87 wrote:I agree with the notes being on revisions but with a box to check for use.
There is the same "Print note on order." checkbox on the revision as on the live Est/RO/Inv side.
timbre4
System Guru / Moderator
System Guru / Moderator

Post by timbre4 »

Jimmy@DGB wrote:
brianp87 wrote:I agree with the notes being on revisions but with a box to check for use.
There is the same "Print note on order." checkbox on the revision as on the live Est/RO/Inv side.
Let's agree on terms; the 'future work' (not approved yet) is stored on the Revision side. If I add a note to that, it can print with the Revision (uses the Estimate template) contents. That is what I would hand the customer to review. Since that is possible, why would we want to confuse that with Order screen (containing approved work under way)?
Tim McDonnell -
ricmorin
5K Holy Smokes Contributor

Post by ricmorin »

My notes print from Revisions just fine.
Ric Morin - Volunteer Forum Moderator, Shop Owner, ASE Master L1
Motorcar Alternatives, LLC
603-622-6434 x203
www.motorcaralternatives.com

I find my life is a lot easier when I use Special Orders
ricmorin

Post by ricmorin »

Please observe that notes print indented like labor descriptions, so they are easy to miss. Add a period in the first line and they will stand out better. JD was going to modify this template to allow for better visibility.
NOTES_PRINT.png
NOTES_PRINT.png (7.94 KiB) Viewed 7876 times
NOTES_DO_PRINT.png
NOTES_DO_PRINT.png (61.15 KiB) Viewed 7876 times
603-622-6434 x203

brianp87
3K Time Lord Contributor
3K Time Lord Contributor

Post by brianp87 »

I just verified and mine also print from the revision screen so we are good to go. I guess I misunderstood. :oops:
rhillig
500 Club: Champion Contributor
500 Club: Champion Contributor

Post by rhillig »

I had noticed in the past - if you are printing revisions when you have an invoice,repair order, or estimate on the main screen, the notes print. If you go to the revisions and print with out an invoice or estimate open the notes do not print. I just double checked to verify & that is still the way I see it working. It would be nice to have the notes print, as that is where we put the description of what work is to be performed. I.E. if you are only replacing one ball joint - left upper, or left lower etc.
A year from now you will wish you had started TODAY ~ Karen Lamb
ricmorin

Post by ricmorin »

rhillig wrote:I had noticed in the past - if you are printing revisions when you have an invoice,repair order, or estimate on the main screen, the notes print. If you go to the revisions and print with out an invoice or estimate open the notes do not print. I just double checked to verify & that is still the way I see it working. It would be nice to have the notes print, as that is where we put the description of what work is to be performed. I.E. if you are only replacing one ball joint - left upper, or left lower etc.
This holds true for many aspects of the program. You need a valid order for most things to work properly. Make sure there is NOT simply 'NEW' in the order number field.

If you are digging up and old revision from a new order, copy it to the order screen and print from there, or enter something on the order screen to validate it.
603-622-6434 x203

brianp87
3K Time Lord Contributor
3K Time Lord Contributor

Post by brianp87 »

rhillig wrote:I had noticed in the past - if you are printing revisions when you have an invoice,repair order, or estimate on the main screen, the notes print. If you go to the revisions and print with out an invoice or estimate open the notes do not print. I just double checked to verify & that is still the way I see it working. It would be nice to have the notes print, as that is where we put the description of what work is to be performed. I.E. if you are only replacing one ball joint - left upper, or left lower etc.
Ok that makes sense as to why I thought they did not show. I wish they would show.
nickscarcare
750 Club: World Class Contributor

Post by nickscarcare »

But if you are just giving estimates, you will not have an open order. I have been having to put the notes in on a labor line and have it a a $0 sale to get them to print say for example to a fleet company that needs to meet with a board for approvals. Sucks having to open an order when you don't know when the work is coming back!
Some people try to turn back their odometers. Not me, I want people to know why I look this way. I've traveled a long way, and some of the roads weren't paved.

507-345-6425
http://www.nickscarcare.com
ricmorin

Post by ricmorin »

If I'm giving an Estimate, I create an Estimate. If they don't buy I move it to a revision. On that approach the notes thing is a non-issue for us. I guess we're just lucky. :D
603-622-6434 x203

brianp87
3K Time Lord Contributor
3K Time Lord Contributor

Post by brianp87 »

We work everything up as revisions when the vehicle is in. This includes a lot of things for future sales. Sometimes people want these estimates again later. I guess I noticed the notes not printing in one of those instances. I do not open a new order every time this happens nor do I really want to.
timbre4
System Guru / Moderator
System Guru / Moderator

Post by timbre4 »

Message received on Revision notes; will look into this.
Tim McDonnell -
nickscarcare

Post by nickscarcare »

We do the same as Brian is saying. We have our work set up to go right to orders, we figure the revisions are estimate screens, otherwise you can have 5 estimate screens going for the same car on the same visit.
Some people try to turn back their odometers. Not me, I want people to know why I look this way. I've traveled a long way, and some of the roads weren't paved.

507-345-6425
http://www.nickscarcare.com
Jimmy@DGB

Post by Jimmy@DGB »

rhillig wrote:I had noticed in the past - if you are printing revisions when you have an invoice,repair order, or estimate on the main screen, the notes print. If you go to the revisions and print with out an invoice or estimate open the notes do not print. I just double checked to verify & that is still the way I see it working.
This is my issue right here. I tested this and it's exactly what's happening. I'd just like the notes to print from revisions no matter what.

Return to “Technical Issues”