Installing on D drive

Manager SE specific technical issues
liljoe
1500 Club Master Plus Contributor
1500 Club Master Plus Contributor

Installing on D drive

Post by liljoe »

We have a laptop with a small ssd that is used for startup and a larger hdd that is used for programs and storage. we would like to install mitchell on this but was told by support that it cannot be installed on d drive. The c drive is only a small 30Gb drive that onlky has the startup files for faster boot up. Is this something that can be done?
Working hard to prove the Green Team can do it with the best of 'em.
Always remember: AIN'T NO FREE LUNCHES!!
Am I the Only One?- I don't think I am.
The further a society retreats from the truth, the more it hates those who speak it. George Orwell.
Pauls Automotive
1000 Club: Interstellar
1000 Club: Interstellar

Re: Installing on D drive

Post by Pauls Automotive »

I find it hard to believe but who knows! I have installed on virtual drives and Mac computers. I have never had an issue. I don't know if you have an extra computer but you could partition it's drive and test run it on there to be sure. Just a thought.
Paul
Pauls Automotive
6318 Falls Road
Baltimore, Md 21209
410-825-2224
paul@paulsauto.com
TRUE HAPPINESS IS WITHIN YOU
Silky7
System Guru / Moderator
System Guru / Moderator

Post by Silky7 »

liljoe,

The explanation for this is rather long, but what they told you is essentially accurate. Even if the application is installed on another drive, certain elements (like updates) will always go to the C: drive. If the entire drive is only 30GB, you'll also not have the free space to get the major Windows updates. I'm not even certain Win 10 will fit in 30GB. Even if it did, that setup doesn't leave enough room for the swap file.

Now, if you mean you have 30GB free after the OS is installed, you probably can do this, but will need to micromanage disk space on that c: drive. All said, 30GB is A. A very odd number for a drive B. Going to be more headache than it's worth.

I'd personally check into potential upgrade options for that SSD. It should be possible to get a larger drive for under $80.
M1 Product Manager
ricmorin
5K Holy Smokes Contributor
5K Holy Smokes Contributor

Post by ricmorin »

30gig is small by todays standards. I have a purpose built desktop with a 128gig ssd and 2 4tb spinning drives. After win10 and a few simple programs it ate about 30% of the ssd. Base install w10 would be around 20gig. Personally think 128gig ssd is ideal for a computer with both types of drives. My newer laptops are all ssd now. So much faster. And they're getting cheap as Dan points out.
Ric Morin - Volunteer Forum Moderator, Shop Owner, ASE Master L1
Motorcar Alternatives, LLC
603-622-6434 x203
www.motorcaralternatives.com

I find my life is a lot easier when I use Special Orders

Return to “Technical Issues”