PARTS HANDLING - MULTIPLE ORDERS

Manager SE specific technical issues
GUTHTIRE
400 Club: Mega-Star Contributor

PARTS HANDLING - MULTIPLE ORDERS

Post by GUTHTIRE »

We've run into this a few times and sometimes it works as desired, sometimes not. It happens with various parts where multiples are orders. Using wheel/lug nuts as an example.

Scenario:
(20) wheel/lug nuts are ordered over the phone from the parts house. As an example (4) arrive 1st as they were sourced locally. Using the normal procedure (4) are entered then Options -> Pick List and parts are received using the specified PO from the parts supplier. Sometime later the remaining (16) wheel/lug nuts show up on a new PO from the parts supplier.

What is the correct procedure for receiving?

Sometimes it seems you can just update the quantity of the part on the RO then Options -> Pick List and receive the remaining (16) but other times it doesn't recognize that quantity has changed and it shows (20)
Dan
megoff
System Guru / Moderator
System Guru / Moderator

Re: PARTS HANDLING - MULTIPLE ORDERS

Post by megoff »

Hi Dan,

When it comes to receiving part of the qty ordered, on the PO you can double click the line item you've received and update with how many were received. This way you'd only have one PO for the items needed vs multiple, but having multiple could also make it so that you can track different order/inv # from the vendor.
M1 Product Manager
ricmorin
5K Holy Smokes Contributor
5K Holy Smokes Contributor

Post by ricmorin »

This is how we do it......

Scenario:
20) wheel/lug nuts are ordered over the phone from the parts house. 20 lugnuts are manually entered on the RO. A PO is manually created using PickList for all 20. When 4 arrive we receive 4. When the rest arrive we receive the rest. Close the PO. (this assumes all 20 are coming from the same supplier)

If the supplier has 2 different invoices, we put both in the Ref field on PO.

We tend to avoid this by asking the supplier to ship complete, unless we needed the 4 sooner.
Ric Morin - Volunteer Forum Moderator, Shop Owner, ASE Master L1
Motorcar Alternatives, LLC
603-622-6434 x203
www.motorcaralternatives.com

I find my life is a lot easier when I use Special Orders
GUTHTIRE

Post by GUTHTIRE »

ricmorin wrote:
Wed Jul 27, 2022 9:50 am
This is how we do it......

Scenario:
20) wheel/lug nuts are ordered over the phone from the parts house. 20 lugnuts are manually entered on the RO. A PO is manually created using PickList for all 20. When 4 arrive we receive 4. When the rest arrive we receive the rest. Close the PO. (this assumes all 20 are coming from the same supplier)

If the supplier has 2 different invoices, we put both in the Ref field on PO.

We tend to avoid this by asking the supplier to ship complete, unless we needed the 4 sooner.
I guess it's a bug in the system or operator error...haven't been able to pin it down. As I mentioned, sometimes it works and recognizes the quantity change and sometimes it doesn't.
Dan
GUTHTIRE

Post by GUTHTIRE »

GUTHTIRE wrote:
Wed Jul 27, 2022 5:38 am
We've run into this a few times and sometimes it works as desired, sometimes not. It happens with various parts where multiples are orders. Using wheel/lug nuts as an example.

Scenario:
(20) wheel/lug nuts are ordered over the phone from the parts house. As an example (4) arrive 1st as they were sourced locally. Using the normal procedure (4) are entered then Options -> Pick List and parts are received using the specified PO from the parts supplier. Sometime later the remaining (16) wheel/lug nuts show up on a new PO from the parts supplier.

What is the correct procedure for receiving?

Sometimes it seems you can just update the quantity of the part on the RO then Options -> Pick List and receive the remaining (16) but other times it doesn't recognize that quantity has changed and it shows (20)
I think I figure this out. If parts to be received are split across multiple PO's you have to receive the parts on one PO then exit the RO. Go back into the RO and receive the parts on the next PO, etc.
Dan
timbre4
System Guru / Moderator
System Guru / Moderator

Post by timbre4 »

Yes, if multiple POs were generated in SE, it requires finishing one and going onto the next because the balance of parts are on that one.
Tim McDonnell -
Sr. Product Market Mgr / Forum Moderator / Mitchell 1 Media Developer
GUTHTIRE

Post by GUTHTIRE »

The point that I was attempting to make is that you MUST exit or save the RO before attempting the follow-on PO or PO's else the system doesn't properly calculate quantities.
Dan
timbre4
System Guru / Moderator
System Guru / Moderator

Post by timbre4 »

GUTHTIRE wrote:
Wed Aug 24, 2022 7:26 am
The point that I was attempting to make is that you MUST exit or save the RO before attempting the follow-on PO or PO's else the system doesn't properly calculate quantities.
Now I see what you're saying. Since there is no Save on the Order screen, I believe you're suggesting Exit and then re-opening the RO.
Is that quantity issue on the PO of received or in the Repair Order as meeting the quantity required or not?
Tim McDonnell -
GUTHTIRE

Post by GUTHTIRE »

timbre4 wrote:
Wed Aug 24, 2022 7:47 am
GUTHTIRE wrote:
Now I see what you're saying. Since there is no Save on the Order screen, I believe you're suggesting Exit and then re-opening the RO.
Is that quantity issue on the PO of received or in the Repair Order as meeting the quantity required or not?
Repair Order.
Dan
timbre4
System Guru / Moderator
System Guru / Moderator

Post by timbre4 »

GUTHTIRE wrote:
Wed Aug 24, 2022 8:28 am
timbre4 wrote:
GUTHTIRE wrote:
Repair Order.
Got it; the Order screen seems to want a refresh before processing additional POs. When you finish with the first PO Worksheet, you are clicking Save and/or Close PO?
Tim McDonnell -
GUTHTIRE

Post by GUTHTIRE »

timbre4 wrote:
Wed Aug 24, 2022 9:08 am
GUTHTIRE wrote:
Wed Aug 24, 2022 8:28 am
timbre4 wrote:

Repair Order.
Got it; the Order screen seems to want a refresh before processing additional POs. When you finish with the first PO Worksheet, you are clicking Save and/or Close PO?
Yes, Save and/or Close PO. However, if you do not close the RO and try to process another PO which has the same P/N (see top of thread) the quantities are not accurate. If you DO close the RO and process a subsequent PO which has the same P/N the quantity calculates correctly.

This scenario is harder to explain when typing in this forum than to perform the steps in the system. :roll:
Dan
timbre4
System Guru / Moderator
System Guru / Moderator

Post by timbre4 »

Apologies, I did not comprehend the top post properly. For clarity's sake, you submit a purchase order and receive vendor invoices (not POs).
We're talking about a parts purchase from a vendor w/o a connected catalog for electronic ordering. The part is entered on the RO and then the Pick List process is used to generate a manual purchase order. Correct?
Tim McDonnell -

Return to “Technical Issues”