Non Taxable Report vs. Sales Receipt Summary

Manager SE Reports & printing
jhenry

Non Taxable Report vs. Sales Receipt Summary

Post by jhenry »

Hello all,
Hopefully I can describe a situation I run into every month with regards to sales tax reporting to the state of NC. Here goes...
On the Sales Receipts Summary (monthly) there is a Non-Taxable column which totals the invoices which are tax exempt (in NC, it is basically the state inspection fees). When I run the Posted Non-Taxable report for the same time period, it lists all the non taxable orders (which is always just the invoices for state inspections). The problem I can't figure out is that the two report totals do not match....not even close.
Example: December 2022: Posted Non taxable report $695.55. Sales Receipt Summary (non Taxable column) $1304.57. Again... the only thing set up in my system (that I know of) that is non taxable are state inspections.
So....what am I missing here? Is there a way to drill down on the parts and labor amounts in the Sales Receipts Summary to see how that no taxable total was derived??? The Posted Non Taxable Orders report seems to be 100% correct.
Thanks in advance for your advise!
J. Henry
megoff
System Guru / Moderator
System Guru / Moderator

Re: Non Taxable Report vs. Sales Receipt Summary

Post by megoff »

Hi J. Henry,

Looking at the two reports. The biggest difference is that Sale Receipts Summary is grouping items line by line and Posted Non-Taxable will display any order that has $0.00 tax on it.

As to why there is a large gap between these numbers, it's possible that a Non-Taxable part is on a taxed order. In this instance the Sales Receipts Summary will be more accurate for what you're looking for.

If you'd like one of the support agents to work with you, please feel free to call in and any of our agents will be here to help.
M1 Product Manager
jhenry

Post by jhenry »

Megoff,

I took your suggestion and called in to support. A very nice young lady dialed into my system and we went over the differences together. After considerable time, neither one of us could figure it out. There is no way to dive deeper into the numbers on the Sales Receipt Summary.

So after hanging up, I decided to take the current month of January and break it down day by day. And you are exactly right...the posted non taxable report only counts the invoices that are solo, stand alone state inspections. If there is any other item on the ticket, it calculates the taxes correctly, but does not included the non taxed portion of the ticket on the posted non taxable report.

While that seems counter productive, it does at least help me to know that the Sales Receipt Summary is accurate.

Thank again for your help
J. Henry
megoff
System Guru / Moderator
System Guru / Moderator

Post by megoff »

Hi J. Henry,

Yes I was helping the agent in the background here. I'll detail how the reports are generated as best I can below. They both have a set of very specific set of rules they follow.

Posted Non Taxable Orders:
A posted order will show on this report if $0.00 of tax was applied to the order. This report could show an order that has taxable line items, but if the order charges $0.00 for tax it will show on this order.

Sales Receipt Summary:
All categories (Parts, Parts Discount, Cores, etc) go line by line for all work orders posted during the date range. For each line item it will check if that line item is "Taxable" or "Non-taxable" then will add the value to the correct column.

The best way to see line item by line item would be the posted orders detail report which will show you the line item, group and if it's taxable or not.
M1 Product Manager

Return to “Reports + Printing”