Warranty Repairs - No Report?

Manager SE Reports & printing
mestude

Warranty Repairs - No Report?

Post by mestude »

So... We offer warranties on parts and labor for 12/12 like a lot of shops. I'm a new manager at this shop. (5months). And new to the Mitchell setup. The crew here will bill out the part and the labor on the customer repair order at the price the customer originally paid for the job. and then discount that amount off the bill. (to show the customer that we did the job, no cost to him). in approximately 30-90 days we get a credit for the part (depending on the vendor) and we eat the labor...(pretty much all normal)...but how do I show there was a warranty repair done on my daily sheet. it just shows as a discount or zero'ed out bill which truly affects my average. Can anyone out there show me a better way to handle this kind of warranty.
fortknoxx
1500 Club Master Plus Contributor

Re: Warranty Repairs - No Report?

Post by fortknoxx »

You have to tell the program this is a warranty. To do so, check the box on the symptoms page and enter corresponding invoice number. This will show on the come back report in the management tab.
Attachments
come back box.jpg
come back box.jpg (252.61 KiB) Viewed 5913 times
T-N-T (Tina Nuse-Tolar)
Gone but not forgotten...Camper Bob's

609-760-7079 Cell
brianp87
3K Time Lord Contributor
3K Time Lord Contributor

Post by brianp87 »

Nice Tina. And I would recommend finding a new parts supplier if you have to wait that long for parts credit. I would also get labor paid for anything that fails in under 12 months. There is no reason you should not get both and sooner.
fortknoxx

Post by fortknoxx »

We don't eat labor on a defective part, not even with syrup. Go with a national company. Bumper to Bumper, Napa, IAPA, MOJO, and dealerships all have labor warranty. What city are you in? I will find a local supplier for you.
T-N-T (Tina Nuse-Tolar)

609-760-7079 Cell
Jeff @ Able Auto

Post by Jeff @ Able Auto »

I need to know how ya'all do it. In 10+ years I have gotten paid 2 times, both from NAPA. Never from a dealer. Have filed several times with the other suppliers and always declined. :evil:
Jeff Fitzgerald - retired
Treasure Coast of Florida
"there will be enough time to sleep when we're dead"
brianp87
3K Time Lord Contributor
3K Time Lord Contributor

Post by brianp87 »

We are a napa auto care center. The rebate checks you get quarterly far exceed the cost for the program. I would only do the program if the supplier is good and reliable. Every time I get a warranty issue we repair get customer satisfied then I call in the claim and return the defect with info to the parts supplier. If the labor is not what I want or feel should be the vendor handles it for us period. I would not buy from someone who does not stand behind there product. Its all about service. They all sell similar products the service is the difference.
Jeff @ Able Auto

Post by Jeff @ Able Auto »

I guess I just need to be a bigger pain in their arses. Had one supplier tell me the maker don't pay but if I wanted they would review and the owner MIGHT write a check. :evil:
Jeff Fitzgerald - retired
Treasure Coast of Florida
"there will be enough time to sleep when we're dead"
brianp87
3K Time Lord Contributor
3K Time Lord Contributor

Post by brianp87 »

Id just let them know this is what Im looking for can you do it? If not then I am going somewhere else.
ARS
300 Club: Superstar Contributor
300 Club: Superstar Contributor

Post by ARS »

We are a NAPA Auto Care Center also- We get Labor/Parts warranty for 24 months/24,000 miles for parts bought after Jan. 1, 2014. Average they pay us for 100% cost on parts/75% of labor. So we have to eat 25% of labor, But that is better than nothing.
If the part was bought before than it is still 24 months/24,000 miles on parts & 6 months/ 6000 miles. This is all thru NAPA.

But the other companies- IWI (AcDelco) & O'Reillys & Carquest have different warranty programs but are coming close to NAPA.

If the part is 3 years or a lifetime warranty then we get the part cost on warranty but charge the customer the labor cost.

When dealing with Insurance & Extended Warranty Companies, we tell them our labor rate is higher than it actually is (close to 25% higher) so that when they only pay 75% of labor it is close to our actual labor. But this does not work with NAPA (Because they want original customer invoices)

Hope this helps!
ARS
mestude

Post by mestude »

Ok since I originally posted this TOPIC...I have major vendors that pay not only my part, but 100% of my labor charge TO THE CUSTOMER......So for instance., I replace a wheel bearing. the part cost is $85.00 we get the that back as a credit. and then the labor charge to the customer was $230.00 we get all $230 back from the supplier, usually with in a couple weeks. So here for over a year now. And I'm getting my vendors in place. that's working well...
I appreciate the comeback info from Tina. and that will show in a comeback report.
But my question is.
When I run a daily or a monthly report on sales....will those numbers show up....I know this is confusing. But this is my thought. The part is credited on my monthly bill from the supplier. So right off the bat that money does not show up on a report. and technically it is a wash on paper. But we charge out the part on the repair order to show the customer that we did indeed put in another part.. and we show on the same comeback invoice the labor charge that we charged the customer on the first original order....then on that job(s) we discount it out it to 0(zero) to show that we did the warranty repair. So if I mark the invoice comeback and or wrnty. and close the order, and then get paid a week or so later from the supplier. How do I show that as money made on Mitchell...because right now its a loss on Mitchell report . Do I then write a new order under that customer name with the labor money, then post that labor check from supplier to that RO. then close that repair order to show that we did make that money...I know this will SKU the labor and parts percentage rates. but I at least will be then be able to show money on a Mitchell report.....
veldman
25 Club: Starting Contributor

Post by veldman »

What if you don't use the symptom page. We have had the program for a long time but never utilized the symptoms. Is there another way to mark an invoice as warranty?
fortknoxx

Post by fortknoxx »

I have a category "warranty" .
I bill out an invoice with the part number, description, at zero cost.
In labor description I write as normal with zero dollars.
In a note I list warranty, with the org. date and invoice number.
This is required to process the claim. I do not know how much I will get back in labor. I leave the ticket open until I get my credit or check.
Once I get my money, I then put the dollars in I was credited, pay and post the invoice.

When I do a report, I can pull it up easier using category "warranty" ALSO..... when in history with category checked. I see warranty right away.
T-N-T (Tina Nuse-Tolar)

609-760-7079 Cell

Return to “Reports + Printing”