Because This Is A Fleet Environment

Manager SE Reports & printing
stsshop

Because This Is A Fleet Environment

Post by stsshop »

Because this is a fleet environment we really need to use data differently than a retail shop. So I'm hoping to be able to use Crystal Reports to design and generate my own reports. I have some database experience but it's very obvious that making what I need is going to take more than a few minutes staring at data fields. So...

1) Does anyone have a good recommendation on training / reading / videos to learn enough to begin using Crystal Reports within a reasonable amount of time? I can see this is a powerful program with plenty to understand.

2) Are people who have worked with the database willing to share table layouts, variable names, etc as questions come up? If this is hard earned information that's not easily found elsewhere I can fully understand not wanting to pass it along.

3) if discussion of custom reports is not popular here, is there another forum that is more likely to be helpful as I work to learn what I need?

Thanks.
ricmorin
5K Holy Smokes Contributor
5K Holy Smokes Contributor

Re: Because this is a fleet environment...

Post by ricmorin »

Welcome to the Forum.

I don't think you'll find many users with CR experience here. As you know, it's not for the timid.

Have you looked at Bolt-On for the reporting you need?
Ric Morin - Volunteer Forum Moderator, Shop Owner, ASE Master L1
Motorcar Alternatives, LLC
603-622-6434 x203
www.motorcaralternatives.com

I find my life is a lot easier when I use Special Orders
stsshop

Post by stsshop »

Thanks for the reply. I've looked at Bolt-On. It could help with some of the data but we're really looking to use the information in a different way than most shops.

After spending a few hours looking at how existing reports are configured I'm wondering if I can even access the data I need. I'm currently looking for existing reports that include the customer unit number.

I hate it when I don't know enough to know what I don't know...
stsshop

Post by stsshop »

Well...

Using Crystal Reports and Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio I was able to identify the vehicle unit number variable. I used CR to edit one of the pre-made reports in Shopkey (Sublet Detail Report) to include this variable. Printing the report currently displays vehicle unit numbers for every vehicle we've ever had in the fleet (12,863 pages worth) so I have got quite a bit of work and learning yet to do, but it is an encouraging first step.
stsshop

Post by stsshop »

Old thread, ongoing challenge...

Learning MSSQL and building queries. Simple query strings have returned tables such as the following:

All vehicles which have received new brake pads
All vehicles which have received an alternator
All vehicles by fleet number (unit number)
All vehicles with recommendations saved, listed by fleet number
All vehicles with recommendations saved in last 30 days, by fleet number
And a few other simple searches.

SQL Server Management Studio allows viewing of tables, keys, and building of queries. Results can be displayed as text or tables or ???

There's sooo much more to learn, but this is a huge step for a beginner. This allows all sorts of manipulation of results, with ultimate goal to be running reports to show things like "Vehicle 123 usually gets brake pads every 20,000 miles and it's currently at 19,000." IMO this type of reporting would also be helpful tool for shop owner wanting to encourage regular customers to return for maintenance before a problem happens. Maybe I've just been in fleet repair too long?
murraymotive
100 Club: Active Contributor
100 Club: Active Contributor

Post by murraymotive »

stsshop wrote:Old thread, ongoing challenge...
There's sooo much more to learn, but this is a huge step for a beginner. This allows all sorts of manipulation of results, with ultimate goal to be running reports to show things like "Vehicle 123 usually gets brake pads every 20,000 miles and it's currently at 19,000." IMO this type of reporting would also be helpful tool for shop owner wanting to encourage regular customers to return for maintenance before a problem happens. Maybe I've just been in fleet repair too long?
If you use canned jobs, you can pull a lot of this info from the db with the canned job id. We use this info to show reminders for fluid maintenance, etc. Great stuff!

Return to “Reports + Printing”