Printing Customer History w/o Notes?

Manager SE Reports & printing
rhillig
500 Club: Champion Contributor

Printing Customer History w/o Notes?

Post by rhillig »

As we are getting to the end of the year, I have had a few customers that wanted their vehicle history report printed out.

It is also including the notes that we have checked not to print, as well as the memo's that are not checked to print.

Is there a way to not include this in the print out?
A year from now you will wish you had started TODAY ~ Karen Lamb
Rich
4K Ultra Amazing Contributor

Re: Printing Customer History w/o Notes?

Post by Rich »

UGH!~ what version are you running? I have never noticed it here. But i do add notes occasionally that would be best if the customer didn't see. (good luck figuring this one out, i asked a million questions and the drivers seemed to have no dam clue).

Perhaps I will just quit typing what I am thinking....... :wink:
Rich Hays
Work 9-11 or 616-696-0020
Being able to get CAPE off a Skew T chart is important in this hobby.
timbre4
System Guru / Moderator
System Guru / Moderator

Post by timbre4 »

There are two approaches to this task; either printing individual invoices from History or using Reports - Clint tab: Customer Vehicle Summary with a date range. In both instances the Vehicle Memo and Notes are included whether the Print on Order box is checked or not. That's the way it works from History, if the invoice is un-posted then the settings (Print On Order UN-checked) work as expected.

If you have comments that you NEVER want printed, these should be entered in the Remarks field on the Customer screen. Copy & paste is your friend. :wink:
Tim McDonnell -
Sr. Product Market Mgr / Forum Moderator / Mitchell 1 Media Developer
rhillig

Post by rhillig »

We make lots of notes that help us remember what happened, or notes to remind us what happened before....I won't be giving anyone a history print out anymore. Luckily I caught it before I gave it to the customer.

I will have to see about printing it to a word format & deleting what I don't want them to see.
brianp87
3K Time Lord Contributor
3K Time Lord Contributor

Post by brianp87 »

I print out individual invoices for history. The other format is tough to read imo. Individual ones are a much better presentation.
timbre4
System Guru / Moderator
System Guru / Moderator

Post by timbre4 »

rhillig wrote:We make lots of notes that help us remember what happened, or notes to remind us what happened before....I won't be giving anyone a history print out anymore. Luckily I caught it before I gave it to the customer.
I will have to see about printing it to a word format & deleting what I don't want them to see.
When you come across one like that, you could un-post it, print it and then re-post it. Might be quicker...
Tim McDonnell -
ricmorin
5K Holy Smokes Contributor

Post by ricmorin »

My experience is that a simple print individual invoice from history retains the 'do not print' command on notes. It's the summary print that loses it. Is this correct?

I've never noticed this but I certainly consider it an issue. The only time we've ever printed summaries were at a customers request. I guess we won't be doing that anymore. We too add notes pertaining to a particular job that we do not want the customer to see and wouldn't make sense out of context in the remarks field.

The vibe I'm getting is 'this is the way it's always been and it's not going to change'. If that's the case then the 'do not print' function is rather useless. I think users expect a function like that to be global; everywhere.
Ric Morin - Volunteer Forum Moderator, Shop Owner, ASE Master L1
Motorcar Alternatives, LLC
603-622-6434 x203
www.motorcaralternatives.com

I find my life is a lot easier when I use Special Orders
timbre4
System Guru / Moderator
System Guru / Moderator

Post by timbre4 »

The key question is *if* the rules here (do not print) can be applied from History side. I'll ask when everybody's back next week.
Tim McDonnell -
ricmorin

Post by ricmorin »

We've placed an indefinite HOLD on any summary printing until we hear otherwise. I'm so thankful for this forum......we nipped this one before it bit us. :D
Ric Morin - Volunteer Forum Moderator, Shop Owner, ASE Master L1
Motorcar Alternatives, LLC
603-622-6434 x203
www.motorcaralternatives.com

I find my life is a lot easier when I use Special Orders
Rich

Post by Rich »

I try to get all the info I can. And seeing I had to write fire/medical reports that would hold up in the court of law, i tend to get pretty detailed at times. Sadly at times I may enter my observation of the mental status (or other information) of a customer, which I feel may assist the Tech in knowing how I got that info and how solid the info is, or isn't. I ASSUMED that when unchecked the Print on Order button thats what it meant. I print a history summary often here. I have people that come in and say "man i wish i kept better track of these invoices" and I will print them off a quick summery. Or if they are selling the car. Who knows the butt chewing I could get from that! It hasnt bitten me yet, so like Ric, thank God for this forum.
Rich Hays
Work 9-11 or 616-696-0020
Being able to get CAPE off a Skew T chart is important in this hobby.
rhillig

Post by rhillig »

Rich wrote:I try to get all the info I can. And seeing I had to write fire/medical reports that would hold up in the court of law, i tend to get pretty detailed at times. Sadly at times I may enter my observation of the mental status (or other information) of a customer, which I feel may assist the Tech in knowing how I got that info and how solid the info is, or isn't. I ASSUMED that when unchecked the Print on Order button thats what it meant. I print a history summary often here. I have people that come in and say "man i wish i kept better track of these invoices" and I will print them off a quick summery. Or if they are selling the car. Who knows the butt chewing I could get from that! It hasnt bitten me yet, so like Ric, thank God for this forum.

Yeah - sadly that is what we have done too - sometimes knowing the background of the person when they come in helps later!!

We also have a used car dealership & there are notes that we make on the invoices when we work on the cars for ourselves that I would not want the customer to see.
Johnny5

Post by Johnny5 »

I found the problem, within Crystal Reports you can suppress printing of specific data based on a value or a boolean (true or false), the line that prints notes was not 'looking' at the boolean value. I will correct it and have development include in the next possible build. JD If you need this report now, hit me up.

JD
John Dwulet AKA: Johnny5
Retired - Mitchell1
rhillig

Post by rhillig »

Johnny5 wrote:I found the problem, within Crystal Reports you can suppress printing of specific data based on a value or a boolean (true or false), the line that prints notes was not 'looking' at the boolean value. I will correct it and have development include in the next possible build. JD If you need this report now, hit me up.

JD

Thank you for fixing it! It's a great report for the customer....but I couldn't chance them getting some of our "inside" notes!

Return to “Reports + Printing”