WIP - Parts

Manager SE Reports & printing
tanyah
25 Club: Starting Contributor

WIP - Parts

Post by tanyah »

Is there a report to run for all parts listed in Est, RO, Inv used in the WIP screen?
dtstire

Re: WIP - Parts

Post by dtstire »

I do not believe this report exists in either Manager SE or Report Pro, although I've frequently thought it would be really helpful to have this.

The closest report would be "Pick List" under Inventory, although this does not show Parts on Est/RO/Inv's that have enough QOH to cover the quantity on the order.
ricmorin
5K Holy Smokes Contributor

Post by ricmorin »

tanyah wrote:Is there a report to run for all parts listed in Est, RO, Inv used in the WIP screen?
Out of curiosity, how would you use this information; what benefit would you gain by knowing this?

There is a report for parts on RO's, but Estimates don't usually factor in and Invoices are assumed already installed.
Ric Morin - Volunteer Forum Moderator, Shop Owner, ASE Master L1
Motorcar Alternatives, LLC
603-622-6434 x203
www.motorcaralternatives.com

I find my life is a lot easier when I use Special Orders
tanyah

Post by tanyah »

I would use this report in tracking inventory - if we have an irregularity with system vs actual, also to reconcile our consigned batteries at least twice a month, also to reconcile inventory between Mitchell 1 and QB. Right now to accomplish the before mentioned tasks, I open each EST, RO, Inv in the WIP screen. Which is time consuming when you have at least 200 items in the WIP screen.
ricmorin

Post by ricmorin »

You can make it easier on yourself by adhering to some established doctrines and concept of use. Estimates are for future work, so no parts would be claimed by those documents. Repair Orders are for current work, so parts are either committed or confirmed. Committed means they are on the shelf but needed for a job and confirmed means they are no longer on the shelf and now on the car. This committed state allows for the reordering of parts BEFORE they actually get used; in anticipation of use so to speak. There is a Committed Parts report that you can use to help rationalize inventory irregularities. Invoices, once posted, deduct the parts from the count. Those should be posted shortly after completion or after vehicle pick up. For current work that spans more than one day, have your advisors confirm any and all parts that get installed (Repair Orders). This is a task I ask my people to do nightly. That way I have accurate counts when I do inventory in the morning.

If you add in parts that are on Estimates to this equation (work that is not yet here), then ALL your numbers will be off and it will be a manual affair. You already know this.

Following this doctrine keeps inventory counts very accurate and easy to identify any issues using the reorder report and the committed parts report. Once in a while I'll find that my people miss a part here and there. I do reorder inventory physical count DAILY. Almost never a discrepancy.
603-622-6434 x203

tanyah

Post by tanyah »

thanks for the suggestion Ric, however that system would still not work for us for a couple of reasons. 1. some of our repair jobs can take days if not weeks depending on the job - we work on both cars and semi trucks 2. The owner likes to review the tickets before they are closed out and depending on his time schedule it can be a week before they are closed out. 3. even if it would show committed and confirmed it still would not show us to whom so we could verify.

If you can have a report that will break out types of tickets for all work in progress than includes totals amongst other detailed info, then having a report detailing the part lines for all WIP should not be that difficult to set up - since the base is already in place.
ricmorin

Post by ricmorin »

I really think you can have what you want with minimal impact to your current routine.
some of our repair jobs can take days if not weeks depending on the job - we work on both cars and semi trucks
While using RO's for all actual work, this is where my suggestion of confirming all parts actually installed on each job comes to play. Utilizing either a tech worksheet or digital tablet, the tech checks off any and all parts actually installed and the Advisor confirms these on each order. Any committed parts left over are easily identified by a report that DOES show the order they are attached to. No real need to have another report for confirmed since your advisor and tech already did it.
The owner likes to review the tickets before they are closed out and depending on his time schedule it can be a week before they are closed out
You don't really need to close out the ticket. Once confirmed the part comes out of inventory.
3. even if it would show committed and confirmed it still would not show us to whom so we could verify.
The Committed Parts report does show the order number.

If you can have a report that will break out types of tickets for all work in progress than includes totals amongst other detailed info, then having a report detailing the part lines for all WIP should not be that difficult to set up - since the base is already in place.
I have dabbled in Crystal Reports and I can tell you that what sounds simple on the outside is not so simple on the inside. Totals are easy but there are many tables that interact with each other. It can get tricky. I do think that the report has some merit and perhaps this can be an official request for same, but I genuinely believe you can have greater accountability right now with a few simple tweaks.
603-622-6434 x203

tanyah

Post by tanyah »

I have found a report in Bolt On that helps still a process but I can go thru that a lot faster than going thru tickets one by one. Don't get a part number in report but I get a description and I can go to the invoice then.

Return to “Reports + Printing”