Reports - Avg R/O Value Affected

Manager SE Reports & printing
Qbasic8
25 Club: Starting Contributor

Reports - Avg R/O Value Affected

Post by Qbasic8 »

We have instances where work was done then a comeback happened. The service writer would discount the labor and parts to zero the bill and post it. They was not using the "Come Back" option under symptoms. My question is about reports showing car count, and items such as come-back, or when employees pay for parts at cost with no labor. This effects the average repair order of all real invoices.

How can I get my reports to not take into account comebacks or other category (charge offs), etc...?
ricmorin
5K Holy Smokes Contributor
5K Holy Smokes Contributor

Re: Reports - Avg R/O Value Affected

Post by ricmorin »

I see variations of this question often. IMO you WANT those orders in there because in the end they really DO affect ARO.

Under the Accounting tab, there is a Category Profit report (custom list). This will allow you add or omit data based on Category. If you create a custom category to group your comebacks in, you can easily exclude them.

Another approach is to bill the job as usual and create a custom payment type that will clear any balance. That way your ARO will not be affected, but again you'd be depriving yourself of the true picture.

Bottom line is that charge-offs, comebacks, discounts, low margin parts sales all affect your metrics. You want them to. You want to see that. It's your motivation to take care of those things. Reduce them and be more profitable! Raise margins or your rate to combat it. Personally I need a solid dose of reality sometimes to kick me in the pants and make change. :D
Ric Morin - Volunteer Forum Moderator, Shop Owner, ASE Master L1
Motorcar Alternatives, LLC
603-622-6434 x203
www.motorcaralternatives.com

I find my life is a lot easier when I use Special Orders
Qbasic8
25 Club: Starting Contributor

Re: Reports - Avg R/O Value Affected

Post by Qbasic8 »

I agree you need to see the bigger picture. Come backs I do agree you should see and should count negatively on your average R/O. But instances of employee discount, etc.. shouldn't taint the real value of your regular income. Seeing them both together and separate gives a better understanding as to 'how & why' your numbers are the way they are. Thank you for the heads up on that report. It will come in handy.

Return to “Reports + Printing”