Part Kit Sales Report

Manager SE Reports & printing
AdamD
25 Club: Starting Contributor

Part Kit Sales Report

Post by AdamD »

I've noticed that when selling a part that is within a parts kit, it doesn't show it in the sales history of that part.

For Example if I have a parts kit named "Part A" and within that kit are "Part 1, Part 2, Part 3, etc", the sales history for Parts 1,2,3 does not get properly tracked (it doesn't show up at all).

Is there a fix for this?

I hope I made sense.

Adam
Rich
4K Ultra Amazing Contributor
4K Ultra Amazing Contributor

Re: Part Kit Sales Report

Post by Rich »

Makes sense to me what your saying, it doesn't make sense that it doesn't work as your expecting it to. Hard to track inventory that way! :?
Rich Hays
Work 9-11 or 616-696-0020
Being able to get CAPE off a Skew T chart is important in this hobby.
Silky7
System Guru / Moderator
System Guru / Moderator

Post by Silky7 »

Hi Adam,

I've stepped through the process on using a kit this morning and didn't see any issues with the QoH being properly deducted, nor the sales history being inaccurate. The parts showed as expected on the Inventory Part Sales report as well. Can you post a few details about the kit? E.g., are you using bundled pricing, prompt on use, is it part of a canned job, etc.? Also, if it's better for you, please feel free to contact support about this as well.
M1 Product Manager
AdamD

Post by AdamD »

Silky7 wrote:
Thu Sep 10, 2020 7:44 am
Hi Adam,

I've stepped through the process on using a kit this morning and didn't see any issues with the QoH being properly deducted, nor the sales history being inaccurate. The parts showed as expected on the Inventory Part Sales report as well. Can you post a few details about the kit? E.g., are you using bundled pricing, prompt on use, is it part of a canned job, etc.? Also, if it's better for you, please feel free to contact support about this as well.
I use them for custom Exhaust systems/mufflers that we make ourselves. I do use bundled pricing, yes. That way all that shows on the invoice is "Muffler" instead of muffler, pipe, clamps, hangers, etc.

Maybe this is the issue? I am looking at a sales history of a part I know I've sold at least 20 of this year, and it shows zero in the part sales history
ricmorin
5K Holy Smokes Contributor

Post by ricmorin »

AdamD wrote:
Thu Sep 10, 2020 4:23 am
I've noticed that when selling a part that is within a parts kit, it doesn't show it in the sales history of that part.

For Example if I have a parts kit named "Part A" and within that kit are "Part 1, Part 2, Part 3, etc", the sales history for Parts 1,2,3 does not get properly tracked (it doesn't show up at all).

Is there a fix for this?

I hope I made sense.

Adam
When you say 'sales history', where are you getting that info? A report or the sales bar graph on the inventory record? If report, which one would help.
Ric Morin - Volunteer Forum Moderator, Shop Owner, ASE Master L1
Motorcar Alternatives, LLC
603-622-6434 x203
www.motorcaralternatives.com

I find my life is a lot easier when I use Special Orders
Silky7
System Guru / Moderator
System Guru / Moderator

Post by Silky7 »

Thanks, Adam.

I've reviewed this and can see the conundrum based on the current business logic. Once you're bundled parts into a kit, the kit effectively becomes the "part" and it becomes the kit being sold. This makes sense, because you didn't sell the part at the normal sale price. Nor could you accurately say what the "true" sales price was for the individual parts at that point. Therefore including it in the part sales history with the recorded inventory cost&sale isn't correct, because you likely received less money in the bundle than the sale price individually.

The good news is the QoH is still being deducted correctly if used in a bundle, so counts should be accurate. The kit also appears in the related parts sales reports.

Honestly, I'm not sure how to handle it any differently, so I'm open to suggestions if you have any.
M1 Product Manager
ricmorin

Post by ricmorin »

I've stopped bundling parts and simply bill everything out. Better for my bottom line, too. This scenario is a reason to consider NOT bundling. Muddy sales reports and making less? Nah.

Dan, we usually talk about bundling at the workshops. Perhaps we can use this example as a cautionary tale.
603-622-6434 x203

AdamD

Post by AdamD »

ricmorin wrote:
Thu Sep 10, 2020 10:47 am
AdamD wrote:
Thu Sep 10, 2020 4:23 am

Is there a fix for this?

I hope I made sense.

Adam
When you say 'sales history', where are you getting that info? A report or the sales bar graph on the inventory record? If report, which one would help.
Both. When you are in your inventory, and click the part number, and then sales history, no sales per month show up. Also in Inventory---Sales History by part number report it shows no sales.
AdamD

Post by AdamD »

ricmorin wrote:
Thu Sep 10, 2020 11:44 am
I've stopped bundling parts and simply bill everything out. Better for my bottom line, too. This scenario is a reason to consider NOT bundling. Muddy sales reports and making less? Nah.

Dan, we usually talk about bundling at the workshops. Perhaps we can use this example as a cautionary tale.
Disagree. I make parts kits all the time, and make much more than I would if I billed everything out individually.

Especially when the same parts are used in many different part kits.

If you don't do exhaust, you probably wouldn't understand, which is fine. The point of this wasn't how to make/not make money. I know how to do both of those already. The point is, if a part is sold, no matter what it's sold in or as, it should reflect in part sales reports, IMO
ricmorin

Post by ricmorin »

AdamD wrote:
Thu Sep 10, 2020 12:48 pm
ricmorin wrote:

Disagree. I make parts kits all the time, and make much more than I would if I billed everything out individually.

If you don't do exhaust, you probably wouldn't understand, which is fine. The point of this wasn't how to make/not make money. I know how to do both of those already. The point is, if a part is sold, no matter what it's sold in or as, it should reflect in part sales reports, IMO
Thank you for the clarification. I don't do exhaust. I guess I've always looked at bundling as a way to lower the overall cost to the consumer, not as a way to add to the cost if the parts were billed out separately. If that works for you then great. I still don't like my sales reports affected and would caution users that use bundling in the future. Thanks for bringing this to the surface.
603-622-6434 x203

AdamD

Post by AdamD »

ricmorin wrote:
Thu Sep 10, 2020 1:39 pm
AdamD wrote:
Thu Sep 10, 2020 12:48 pm
ricmorin wrote:

Thank you for the clarification. I don't do exhaust. I guess I've always looked at bundling as a way to lower the overall cost to the consumer, not as a way to add to the cost if the parts were billed out separately. If that works for you then great. I still don't like my sales reports affected and would caution users that use bundling in the future. Thanks for bringing this to the surface.
Agreed, I only use it for custom exhaust. I wouldn't use it for anything else. It's just easier than keying in the same stuff and being consistent with price. Also it's less confusing to the customer. I guess as long as it takes the parts out of inventory when they are sold, it's not a huge issue.

Return to “Reports + Printing”